should I write an addendum for this? passing away of family

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
berkeleybear1

should I write an addendum for this? passing away of family

Postby berkeleybear1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:39 pm

So, I took the lsat three times. 1st attempt 150, 2nd attempt 154 and 3rd attempt 158. Month before my first attempt in December 2012 my cousin passed away. I wasn't mentally prepared to take the LSAT but I sat and took it because i wanted to attend law school the following year. I took the following attempt in February.

After two failed attempts I took some time off to grieve, and opted out of the June 2013 LSAT. Got myself together and when I was able to clear my head of everything I studied intensely and took the October 2013 LSAT where I got a 158.

I really don't want to write an addendum, but some schools want to know about the 8 point jump I made in less than a year.

Would it be fine if I put everything I mentioned above in an addendum and sent it to law schools asking them to place emphasis on my 3rd score?

bombaysippin

Re: should I write an addendum for this? passing away of family

Postby bombaysippin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Sorry to hear about the family member.

As for what I've read and come across, schools will likely only care about the highest score you've gotten. Also big jumps in the 150 range (or at least from TLS standards) are not hard to come by because when you are scoring in that range, it shows that you might not have all the fundamentals of the test down. Therefore big jumps are doable without a big reason to explain why.

I don't think you would need an addendum, but at the same time depending on what you want to do with your law career, you might want to reconsider your choice to apply.

I'm not sure what schools you would be looking at, nor do I know what your GPA is, but I don't think there are any schools really worth going to if your highest score was a 158.

ETA: If you really want to do law school...You will have to wait the 2 year window to be able to take the LSAT again. Dunno how "intensely" you really studied either for your third attempt, but yea if you go the route of waiting...you will definitely have to multiply your intensity a lot to get a better score and be honest with what you actually did for studying. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you did study, but a score of 158 makes me think you might have taken a prep course, did a few PTs and homeworks and called it a day. Good luck.

ETA 2: Looking at some of your post history you seem to be aiming for the top 20 schools. You have pretty close a 0% chance at any of those schools, unless you've come up with a cure for cancer or have a solution for world hunger. Even with those though, it's a long shot.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Your lsat score is a 158. Five years ago, maybe the addendum would be worthwhile; now it couldnt matter less. The only schools that might take note of your prior exam performance wouldnt look at a 158 anyway.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:10 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Your lsat score is a 158. Five years ago, maybe the addendum would be worthwhile; now it couldnt matter less. The only schools that might take note of your prior exam performance wouldnt look at a 158 anyway.

I probably should have just said this. +1

Return to “What are my chances?”