How do I stack? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
musiclawyer

New

How do I stack?

Post by musiclawyer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:05 am

Okay so I want to be an entertainment lawyer, specifically working in the music industry in music supervision, synchronization and other related contracts.

I've worked on a the student radio station for all of my years at University, currently a General Manager, and I've just established a upstate new york college radio music festival.

My GPA is 3.1 but most of my courses have been science or math related as I'm a former engineering major. Currently though I'm a Political Philosophy major with a minor in physics.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but I'm getting around 155 currently of official practice tests.

I want to go to school in LA,
So I think my best opportunities to get into law school would be if I applied to these schools.

Pepperdine
Loyola
U of San Diego
Santa Clara
Chapman

So what do you guys think?

hephaestus

Gold

Re: How do I stack?

Post by hephaestus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:09 am

To be honest, all of those schools are not good. The only LA schools worth going to are UCLA and USC. Those schools cost between 150k-200k, and place around half (or less) of their class as lawyers anywhere. Check out law school transparency to get more detailed employment statistics. Also, look at the LSAT study tools on this site. With your GPA, you need a 168+ to end up with a school worth going to at a fair price.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:50 pm

There's really only two ways to become an entertainment lawyer. 1. Get hired by a big firm and hope to get into a practice group that deals with entertainment contracts, studios, producers, etc. or 2. Get hired by a litigation boutique.

I think the following article will be helpful in your case, below is a short excerpt.

http://www.bitterlawyer.com/tara-kole-t ... nt-lawyer/

In a way, yes. Entertainment boutiques just don’t hire new lawyers, so I did what most clerks do—interview at big law firms. I tried to focus on firms in Los Angeles that had entertainment practices. Firms like O’Melveny & Myers and Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. The first question was always, “Are you really interested in entertainment?” I think they thought that I’d run off and do something else. But I think if you talk to me long enough, you realize that I love film and television more than anything.

The schools you're looking at won't get you hired at a big law firm, nor will they get you a supreme court clerkship (which the young entertainment lawyer in the above article had prior to being hired by her litigation boutique).

If you want entertainment law, you need to get into an elite school unless you have elite connections.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:30 pm

take the lsat hth

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:42 pm

californiauser wrote:There's really only two ways to become an entertainment lawyer. 1. Get hired by a big firm and hope to get into a practice group that deals with entertainment contracts, studios, producers, etc. or 2. Get hired by a litigation boutique.

I think the following article will be helpful in your case, below is a short excerpt.

http://www.bitterlawyer.com/tara-kole-t ... nt-lawyer/

In a way, yes. Entertainment boutiques just don’t hire new lawyers, so I did what most clerks do—interview at big law firms. I tried to focus on firms in Los Angeles that had entertainment practices. Firms like O’Melveny & Myers and Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. The first question was always, “Are you really interested in entertainment?” I think they thought that I’d run off and do something else. But I think if you talk to me long enough, you realize that I love film and television more than anything.

The schools you're looking at won't get you hired at a big law firm, nor will they get you a supreme court clerkship (which the young entertainment lawyer in the above article had prior to being hired by her litigation boutique).

If you want entertainment law, you need to get into an elite school unless you have elite connections.
I think the last sentence of this post is great, but I would also add "And even if you do go to an elite school you almost certainly won't get entertainment law."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”