Help A Brotha Out!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
fjgoffe

Help A Brotha Out!

Postby fjgoffe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:41 am

I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I applied ED to the University of Georgia. I have a 158 LSAT and 3.1 GPA. I'm a URM (African-American) with military experience along with various extracurricular activities and leadership positions. I've lurked on these forms for a while and I know how some of you guys can get with trolling, but I'll take it with good humor. I'd just like a no-bs assessment please :D

MoMettaMonk

Re: Help A Brotha Out!

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:17 pm

You're probably in at UGA ED, so that's your cycle. However, if for some reason you get waitlisted/knocked down to RD (not sure how UGA's ED works), you do seem to have an outside shot at Cornell. I would expect your military experience to give you a bit of a bump. Does UGA give out a scholarship with their ED or is it just a general binding early decision?

Predictions courtesy of http://mylsn.info/kgw3hh

fjgoffe

Postby fjgoffe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:19 pm

I've already heard of some applicants accepted with scholarships so I'm guessing UGA does belt out a couple bucks to the ED students. I'm not too certain though.

Taco

Postby Taco » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Are you a georgia resident? University of Georgia does not appear to participate in YRP.

fjgoffe

Postby fjgoffe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:16 pm

I'm moving to Georgia in late December and I'll be drilling in the Georgia National Guard so that qualifies me for residency. Yeah, UGA doesn't have a yellow ribbon program but I'll probably just use Guard educational benefits instead. That should at least take a decent chunk out of the tuition.

Taco

Postby Taco » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:21 pm

do you still have any GI bill left? if you're in state, you should be fully covered

fjgoffe

Postby fjgoffe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:44 pm

I have about a year and a half left. And according to UGA's application, I do qualify for in state.

Taco

Postby Taco » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:38 pm

when you say a year and a half, do you mean you have 18 months left? That's two years of law school, with E-5 BAH. With dependents you are looking at $1020 / month, without you'll only get $852. I think you'll be in ok shape financially, if your guard benefits can help cover one of your years, even if you don't get any $, you'll still only have to pay for one partial year, and of course you'll get BAH to defray cost of living, plus you should get at least a little money for your guard work, right?

It looks like Georgia actually has respectable employment outcomes, with the caveat that it seems like almost all of those are in Georgia:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=georgia

So even if things don't work out the greatest for you from an employment point of view, you probably won't have to borrow too too much, so you can afford it. However, speaking as a risk-averse debt-averse 0L (so take it for what its worth) common sense seems to dictate that if you aren't top half borderline top third after one year at Georgia Law, it is probably a waste of time and money, so don't be afraid to drop out and pursue other options if you struggle at all. Basically, i would encourage you to have a back-up plan.

Last question though: do you have an in to the Georgia Guard JAG corps? Could you transfer to JAG after your current commitment is up? Because that would basically change the whole equation imo.

fjgoffe

Postby fjgoffe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Yeah, I have 18 months (well, technically 17) left of my GI Bill. I agree with you that I should be alright financially if worse comes to worse and I don't get any cash from UGA. If I'm smart with my use of benefits and drill pay, I should be able to cover at least a substantial chunk of the cost outside of my GI Bill.

I'll have a good sense after my 1L year of whether I want to continue to pursue law or not. If I end up like that one guy from The Paper Chase who has a mental breakdown, I should still have the financial flexibility to either look at teaching English in high school (English studies are my second passion and I heard the teaching market in Georgia is pretty stable), re-upping active duty, or maybe even just settling with the first job I find until something comes together...either way I'm confident that I'll find a leg to stand on.

I don't have an in with Georgia Guard JAG. I'll be a grunt when I'm down there. My Guard contract will be up by the end of my 3L year, so I'll be free to go fishing around for an active duty JAG spot. Army JAG is easier to get into than Air Force and Navy, and plus my prior service experience should help give me a leg-up.

Return to “What are my chances?”