Splitting woes (URM? 3.19 174)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
RightGuard

Splitting woes (URM? 3.19 174)

Postby RightGuard » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:52 pm

redacted
Last edited by RightGuard on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Re: Splitting woes (URM? 3.19 174)

Postby twenty » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:04 pm

You're a URM if you're partly PR. Unfortunately, the PR boost isn't that great. You should be good at NYU (though you likely won't get any money), probably a lock with an ED. If that doesn't pan out, I'd imagine you'd get into Penn on a round two ED, and worst case scenario, UVA ED if those other two don't work out.

Other possibilities include Cornell regular decision and Northwestern regular decision.

The big moment of truth for you is the unfortunate reality that you will either:

1) Go to a T14 at sticker, work really hard in biglaw in NYC for 4-5 years, and maybe come back to Florida
2) Go to a Florida school that gives you lots of money, and chances are IF you end up practicing law, it will be shite law at 45k a year.
3) Don't go to law school.

I highly recommend 1) if you fully understand what NYC biglaw for 4+ years looks like, and 3) if you think that's not something you're down with.

RightGuard

Postby RightGuard » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:38 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:You're a URM if you're partly PR. Unfortunately, the PR boost isn't that great. You should be good at NYU (though you likely won't get any money), probably a lock with an ED. If that doesn't pan out, I'd imagine you'd get into Penn on a round two ED, and worst case scenario, UVA ED if those other two don't work out.

Other possibilities include Cornell regular decision and Northwestern regular decision.

The big moment of truth for you is the unfortunate reality that you will either:

1) Go to a T14 at sticker, work really hard in biglaw in NYC for 4-5 years, and maybe come back to Florida
2) Go to a Florida school that gives you lots of money, and chances are IF you end up practicing law, it will be shite law at 45k a year.
3) Don't go to law school.

I highly recommend 1) if you fully understand what NYC biglaw for 4+ years looks like, and 3) if you think that's not something you're down with.

Thanks for the speedy response!

I see, I was always confused growing up with what to check under race/ethnicity. I'll definitely apply to the aforementioned schools, I'm trying to get locked in as quickly as possible

As for the Big Moment of Truth, I'll make the first choice... I'm incredibly fortunate enough to have a family that is willing and able to help me with tuition to a degree (which is why I'm willing to sacrifice scholarship money). I'm well aware of what NYC BL constitutes, and that's what I'm aiming for immediately (Florida is a long term goal). My mention of Florida schools was more of an artifact of back when I was naive about job prospects for the vast majority of in-state grads...

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 pm

I wonder what kind of cycle an AA URM with similar numbers would have.

In your case, I'd say you're absolutely nabbing a few T14s, not sure about scholly money though.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:36 am

If you know what you're getting into, good luck on the NYU ED. Hope to see you at ASW. :)

hcrimson2014

Postby hcrimson2014 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:56 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:I wonder what kind of cycle an AA URM with similar numbers would have.

In your case, I'd say you're absolutely nabbing a few T14s, not sure about scholly money though.

A 174 could be a top 5 AA male lsat this cycle and given how sharply the number of lsat test takers has fallen, an AA male will probably get H, although most likely out of Y and S.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:43 am

hcrimson2014 wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:I wonder what kind of cycle an AA URM with similar numbers would have.

A 174 could be a top 5 AA male lsat this cycle and given how sharply the number of lsat test takers has fallen, an AA male will probably get H, although most likely out of Y and S.

That's what I figured, though I think 3.1 may be below H's GPA floor even for an AA male. But given the massive drop, especially to URMs it could be possible I guess.

Return to “What are my chances?”