I want to go to Mercer!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
juriluv

I want to go to Mercer!

Postby juriluv » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 am

Mercer is the only school on my list. It is the only option for me for numerous reasons. I am currently a teacher, ive been teaching for 3 years. I have a masters in education. Im an African American Female, if that matters at all.
My undergrad GPA-3.7
Masters GPA-3.9
LSAT-151

I know my LSAT score is low, but the median is a 152 so I really dont feel like my chances are that bad. What do you guys think?

dowu

Re: I want to go to Mercer!

Postby dowu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:06 pm

juriluv wrote:Mercer is the only school on my list. It is the only option for me for numerous reasons. I am currently a teacher, ive been teaching for 3 years. I have a masters in education. Im an African American Female, if that matters at all.
My undergrad GPA-3.7
Masters GPA-3.9
LSAT-151

I know my LSAT score is low, but the median is a 152 so I really dont feel like my chances are that bad. What do you guys think?

You'll get in. You should retake. If you surpass their lsat median, I bet they give you a full scholly. Do not go unless they give you a significant scholarship.

juriluv

Postby juriluv » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:09 pm

dowu wrote:
juriluv wrote:Mercer is the only school on my list. It is the only option for me for numerous reasons. I am currently a teacher, ive been teaching for 3 years. I have a masters in education. Im an African American Female, if that matters at all.
My undergrad GPA-3.7
Masters GPA-3.9
LSAT-151

You'll get in. You should retake. If you surpass their lsat median, I bet they give you a full scholly. Do not go unless they give you a significant scholarship.

Thank you. Im pretty sure I wont get a scholarship unless i retake and score higher so I'm already anticipating having to find outside scholarships or do it all with loans

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 pm

juriluv wrote:
dowu wrote:
My undergrad GPA-3.7
Masters GPA-3.9
LSAT-151

Thank you. Im pretty sure I wont get a scholarship unless i retake and score higher so I'm already anticipating having to find outside scholarships or do it all with loans

Sooo then why don't you just retake and score a couple points higher? Don't be lazy before law school even begins. It's a really bad start.

juriluv

Postby juriluv » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:26 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
juriluv wrote:
dowu wrote:
My undergrad GPA-3.7
Masters GPA-3.9
LSAT-151

Sooo then why don't you just retake and score a couple points higher? Don't be lazy before law school even begins. It's a really bad start.

I'm not being lazy. I already submitted my application. I figured it was too late to try to retest

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Its not too late. Send them an email and tell them to hold off on evaluating your application because you're going to retake your lsat.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:41 pm

being a lawyer isnt that great you cant hold off on lawl school for a year to bolster that SCORE. its also usper early, so try to take the feb test or something.

juriluv

Postby juriluv » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:47 pm

stillwater wrote:being a lawyer isnt that great you cant hold off on lawl school for a year to bolster that SCORE. its also usper early, so try to take the feb test or something.

I just registered for the February test. Im going to study really hard between now and then. Im thinking about taking a prep class

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:52 pm

juriluv wrote:
stillwater wrote:being a lawyer isnt that great you cant hold off on lawl school for a year to bolster that SCORE. its also usper early, so try to take the feb test or something.

I just registered for the February test. Im going to study really hard between now and then. Im thinking about taking a prep class

Visit the LSAT subforum. You will find a lot of great prep ideas, and others who are in the same boat. Don't take a class if you can self study. I'm willing to bet you can hit a 160+ if you put the time in studying.

Good luck.

0heL

Postby 0heL » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Last edited by 0heL on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDeezy

Postby JDeezy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:13 pm

TLS may have literally just transformed someone's life.

Best of luck to you, OP. Don't go to law school until you are sure you can't improve your LSAT.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 pm

I graduated from Mercer a few years ago. Happy to answer any questions you have.

I am pretty sure you will be admitted with your current numbers. You may even get a scholarship. But a few points higher on the LSAT would likely secure you a full scholarship and perhaps make you competitive for the Woodruff scholarship (full tuition and $5,000 annual living stipend) or George scholarship (full tuition and $6,000 for each summer spent working in public service), or Mercer scholarship if you went to Mercer undergrad (full tuition and $1,000 annual stipend). Thus, I agree with others who posted there is no reason to not retake the LSAT.

It was the practice at Mercer for scholarships to be renewable for "good academic standing," and almost everyone meets this standard (not flunking). For the Woodruff scholarship, you have to be complete by Jan. 15, so I think that means Dec. LSAT.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:20 pm

A big part of me feels like OP shouldn't be going to law school at all unless she can go all in (i.e, 165+ LSAT, go to HYS). I can't see the purpose of having a crappish JD (though for crappish JDs, Mercer is pretty solid) when a full ride from Duke is so clearly in the cards here.

:/

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:52 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:A big part of me feels like OP shouldn't be going to law school at all unless she can go all in (i.e, 165+ LSAT, go to HYS). I can't see the purpose of having a crappish JD (though for crappish JDs, Mercer is pretty solid) when a full ride from Duke is so clearly in the cards here.

This. OP your an AA with a rly good GPA get a 160 on the LSAT and your looking at t-14 with $$$

Vardges

Postby Vardges » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:16 pm

My undergrad GPA-3.7
Masters GPA-3.9
LSAT-151

I am also applying to Mercer for the upcoming Fall semester. Haven't officially sent in my app. I am from Los Angeles/Boston. Are you familiar with the area?

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:02 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:A big part of me feels like OP shouldn't be going to law school at all unless she can go all in (i.e, 165+ LSAT, go to HYS). I can't see the purpose of having a crappish JD (though for crappish JDs, Mercer is pretty solid) when a full ride from Duke is so clearly in the cards here.

It sounds like OP probably isn't going to want to leave GA, though. At 160 she could get money from Emory.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Yep. TBF, with a slight LSAT increase, OP could probably go to a higher ranked school with a scholarship.

But OP is posting in a "what are my chances" forum with title "I want to go to Mercer!" and saying, "It is the only option for me for numerous reasons."

As expected, 0Ls and law students respond with, "You should go to a different law school." :roll:

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:57 pm

ggocat wrote:Yep. TBF, with a slight LSAT increase, OP could probably go to a higher ranked school with a scholarship.

But OP is posting in a "what are my chances" forum with title "I want to go to Mercer!" and saying, "It is the only option for me for numerous reasons."

As expected, 0Ls and law students respond with, "You should go to a different law school." :roll:

To be fair, if your only possibility is a single school, then a "What are my chances?" thread is pretty irrelevant. Either you get in or you don't.

These threads are really "Where should I be applying?" more than anything else.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 am

OP, why is Mercer your only option?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 am

cotiger wrote:To be fair, if your only possibility is a single school, then a "What are my chances?" thread is pretty irrelevant. Either you get in or you don't.

Good point. I guess some people just want reassurance from randoms on the Internet.

juriluv

Postby juriluv » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 pm

To be fair, if your only possibility is a single school, then a "What are my chances?" thread is pretty irrelevant. Either you get in or you don't.

These threads are really "Where should I be applying?" more than anything else.[/quote]

I couldve sworn the title of the board was "what are my chances" Looks like I posted in the right place to me.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:OP, why is Mercer your only option?

This.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:29 pm

juriluv wrote:I couldve sworn the title of the board was "what are my chances" Looks like I posted in the right place to me.

Not if you already knew where you were applying?

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:01 pm

juriluv wrote:
cotiger wrote:To be fair, if your only possibility is a single school, then a "What are my chances?" thread is pretty irrelevant. Either you get in or you don't.

These threads are really "Where should I be applying?" more than anything else.

I couldve sworn the title of the board was "what are my chances" Looks like I posted in the right place to me.

Sure, technically you are correct. My point was that if you're only applying to one place and have already sent in your app, then us saying "you have a 54.6% chance" isn't going to be very meaningful. With only one possibility, the odds don't matter. Unless of course you were planning on making some other life decision in the intervening period before you got your decision letter.

The value in these threads comes from giving posters their chances at a range of schools so that they know where they should be looking/if they need to retake/if they should ED, etc.

I'm not hating on your post, just defending why people are telling you that you should apply to other places.

As an AA with slightly below median LSAT and significantly above median GPA, you are easily in.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:43 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
BigZuck wrote:OP, why is Mercer your only option?

This.

This

Return to “What are my chances?”