Chances at Stanford? 3.75/175

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jbagelboy

Re: Chances at Stanford? 3.75/175

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Rainy wrote:Update.

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, my GPA is now a 3.67, down from a 3.75. This is obviously a significant difference and it will (sadly) affect my chances at a lot of the schools I was interested in. What shred of hope I had at Stanford is now gone and just thinking about Berkeley (my 2nd choice) terrifies me.

With my softs overall being weak (although PS and recommendations won't hurt me), I am even beginning to doubt my chances at CCN. Can someone shed light on this?

To give more background: my GPA dropped from a single community college course I took the summer of my Freshmen year that I had (previously) forgotten about. Thankfully, I was reminded of it and promptly reported it, but it's going to hurt big time. Obviously schools care first and foremost about the cumulative LSAC GPA because that is what they report, but I'm wondering to what degree, if any, schools will discount my CC experience as an outlier. My grades have otherwise been consistent, with an upward trend my Junior and Senior years.

I really appreciate any help I could get on this matter. Thanks in advance.

Calm down! Yea, your chances at HS are probably shot (Harvard is still worth the app), but you should still be okay at CCN with that LSAT.

Schools dont have the flexibility to be lenient about grades right now. Still, Berkeley is relatively holistic so they will probably take note. I think you are still competitive there.

DrStudMuffin

Postby DrStudMuffin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:59 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Rainy wrote:Update.

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, my GPA is now a 3.67, down from a 3.75. This is obviously a significant difference and it will (sadly) affect my chances at a lot of the schools I was interested in. What shred of hope I had at Stanford is now gone and just thinking about Berkeley (my 2nd choice) terrifies me.

With my softs overall being weak (although PS and recommendations won't hurt me), I am even beginning to doubt my chances at CCN. Can someone shed light on this?

To give more background: my GPA dropped from a single community college course I took the summer of my Freshmen year that I had (previously) forgotten about. Thankfully, I was reminded of it and promptly reported it, but it's going to hurt big time. Obviously schools care first and foremost about the cumulative LSAC GPA because that is what they report, but I'm wondering to what degree, if any, schools will discount my CC experience as an outlier. My grades have otherwise been consistent, with an upward trend my Junior and Senior years.

I really appreciate any help I could get on this matter. Thanks in advance.

Calm down! Yea, your chances at HS are probably shot (Harvard is still worth the app), but you should still be okay at CCN with that LSAT.

Schools dont have the flexibility to be lenient about grades right now. Still, Berkeley is relatively holistic so they will probably take note. I think you are still competitive there.

I generally agree. I still think you're a near lock at CLS and NYU, with a toss-up between accept/waitlist at Chicago because they're like that these days. Berkeley is a little less likely than before, but I still think you have a solid shot there if you put together a strong personal statement and have passable LoRs.

The only area that I think this seriously affects your chances is in regard to Stanford and Harvard. At Stanford it makes things kind of bleak, but I still think Harvard is in play. Good luck!

Rainy

Postby Rainy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:05 am

Thank you for your quick and thoughtful responses - I really appreciate them and you've both made me feel a lot better.

Here's to hoping I get into one of my top choice; to those who have taken the time to respond here: you have my gratitude and I wish you all the best in your admissions cycle(s) and in law school.

Cheers.

Return to “What are my chances?”