3.65/163

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DKJL0212
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:14 pm

3.65/163

Postby DKJL0212 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Hello,

I am currently scouting for potential ED options. Which school would be a viable option depending on the score I have?

Would I have a chance for Northwestern or George Washington ED?

Your help will be much appreciated.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: 3.65/163

Postby chuckbass » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Neither, because both ED options are tied with full scholarships, and as such they require numbers above both medians typically.

DKJL0212
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: 3.65/163

Postby DKJL0212 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:04 pm

scotth724 wrote:Neither, because both ED options are tied with full scholarships, and as such they require numbers above both medians typically.


Thanks your help. Just a quick follow up question, does that mean I will be better off applying for regular rolling? I thought ED generally gives you a boost if you are score is not good enough. In other words, are two schools that I am currently considering special cases as their ED options are tied with scholarships?

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: 3.65/163

Postby chuckbass » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:10 pm

One could argue there's a boost, but most schools it is not that significant. In your case, you are below both medians at both schools, and therefore stand very little chance at admittance.

BigZuck
Posts: 10867
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 3.65/163

Postby BigZuck » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:10 pm

DKJL0212 wrote:
scotth724 wrote:Neither, because both ED options are tied with full scholarships, and as such they require numbers above both medians typically.


Thanks your help. Just a quick follow up question, does that mean I will be better off applying for regular rolling? I thought ED generally gives you a boost if you are score is not good enough. In other words, are two schools that I am currently considering special cases as their ED options are tied with scholarships?


Unless you're URM those numbers will almost never get into a school like NU (maybe GW too, I have never really paid attention to them) regardless of boost.

Retake instead of trying to find a way to backdoor into a school.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9642
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 3.65/163

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:12 pm

DKJL0212 wrote:
scotth724 wrote:Neither, because both ED options are tied with full scholarships, and as such they require numbers above both medians typically.


Thanks your help. Just a quick follow up question, does that mean I will be better off applying for regular rolling? I thought ED generally gives you a boost if you are score is not good enough. In other words, are two schools that I am currently considering special cases as their ED options are tied with scholarships?


It's highly, highly unlikely you will be admitted at Northwestern. You have some marginal chance at GWU but paying sticker there is very unadvised.

DKJL0212
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: 3.65/163

Postby DKJL0212 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Thank you very much for everyone's comments. They are all very helpful.

I have one final question. Given my stats, do you have any recommendations on which schools to apply?

Due to my personal circumstances, my location would be limited to NY, Chicago, DC, or San Fran.

Thanks!

BigZuck
Posts: 10867
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 3.65/163

Postby BigZuck » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:08 pm

DKJL0212 wrote:Thank you very much for everyone's comments. They are all very helpful.

I have one final question. Given my stats, do you have any recommendations on which schools to apply?

Due to my personal circumstances, my location would be limited to NY, Chicago, DC, or San Fran.

Thanks!


Your personal circumstances are limiting you? Or you just want to live in the 4 most desirable large cities in US (at least based on what TLSers seem to want)?

Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that. Go to school where you have ties. Or go to a T14 and target NY big law or go back to an area where you have ties after you graduate.

I honestly would not suggest anyone go to law school with those numbers, unless they could somehow get you a full ride at a stong regional in a state where you have ties and you are content working at a small firm. If that doesn't apply to you then you have to retake the LSAT.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9642
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 3.65/163

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:09 pm

DKJL0212 wrote:Thank you very much for everyone's comments. They are all very helpful.

I have one final question. Given my stats, do you have any recommendations on which schools to apply?

Due to my personal circumstances, my location would be limited to NY, Chicago, DC, or San Fran.

Thanks!


I think you will want to retake the LSAT. None of those locations hosts a university with a law school you would be justified in attending at a price you could get for it. You've already identified GWU as the closest call, and that along with Fordham are your closest shots in those markets but you will be stuck with mountains of debt for a ~30% chance of a high enough paying job to sustain that debt. If you could raise your LSAT to 170, you would open up Northwestern and NYU as possibilities. Its unlikely either of the two SF schools will admit you with that GPA unless you have extraordinary softs for Cal.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HokieHi307 and 4 guests