What would you do? Please help

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ambitious1

What would you do? Please help

Postby Ambitious1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:40 pm

I have taken the LSAT 3 times in 2013, 159, 163 and 162 respectively. I could proceed to applying immediately, but the only two realistic schools with my numbers that I would attend are Minnesota (huge reach) and WUSTL (another huge reach).

I am all for waiting until 2015 to take the LSAT again. I'm 22 years old right now and in a weird way I think some work experience would serve me well. However, I'm concerned about how bad a 4th and possibly even 5th lsat looks.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Is Minnesota/WUSTL realistic or just a pipe dream? I have utilized mylsn and there have been people who get waitlisted and even accepted with my numbers..however, I am well aware that my 3rd lsat being lower than my 2nd looks really bad and that as it is I'm below medians. FWIW Minnesota sent me a fee waiver. Probably means nothing but really raised my motivation to apply this cycle.

Thanks.

PepperJack

Re: What would you do? Please help

Postby PepperJack » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Where are you from? Do you have any other options for 2 years? It sounds like you're just going off of blind rank with these 2 schools. If you need to go now, I'd go with a full ride to a place like the University of St. Louis over WUSTL.

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm a non URM (asian male) from Illinois. Went to a large public university. I don't think I mentioned this in the OP but my GPA is low 3.3x.

I graduated with two degrees, so I feel pretty confident that I can land a worthwhile job for a few years. The end goal, however, remains to enter the legal profession. I am very debt averse but for a school like Minnesota, I would strongly consider just swallowing the pill.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:53 pm

A fourth take two years from now that's 170+ will look much better than three takes between 159-163. I don't think you have to worry about the number of takes so long as you get a solid score.

If I were you I would get a job and plan on retaking. The work experience will only help your application.

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:58 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:A fourth take two years from now that's 170+ will look much better than three takes between 159-163. I don't think you have to worry about the number of takes so long as you get a solid score.

If I were you I would get a job and plan on retaking. The work experience will only help your application.

Thank you for your reply. I am leaning towards this as well. It means nothing at this point but I was able to PT consistently in the 170s leading up to June AND October and both times I wet the bed. I still have confidence in my ability to (someday) reach my goal of a 170+ score.

I have heard conflicting things regarding the next time I'm able to take the LSAT. I took it for the first time in February 2013. Does that indicate that the next time I can take the exam is February 2015? Somebody in the October Waiters Thread raised the possibility that LSAC makes people wait two cycles, not two years. I wonder if anybody could shed some light on this?

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:38 pm

If you really scored a 170s on practice tests could you keep doing it for a few years? You could probably even charge 20/hour and find some students on craigslist when Kaplan is hiring a 164 to reinforce you to study. It sounds like you just need to stay consistent, and maybe work on your anxiety. If you have to get some schooling, it might make sense to do something IP to make you patent bar eligible if it's cheap. I think 10k-20k makes it worth it just based on the doors it opens.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:49 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:A fourth take two years from now that's 170+ will look much better than three takes between 159-163. I don't think you have to worry about the number of takes so long as you get a solid score.

I strongly second all of this.

OP, to answer your other question, if your first take was in February 2013, you'll be eligible for the February 2015 test.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:21 pm

I can't imagine three in a row made a very fun year. It seems like asking Usain Bolt to train and run races 365 days a year. You can't always be waiting for a score then studying again. That is probably why you got overly nervous.

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:08 pm

PepperJack wrote:If you really scored a 170s on practice tests could you keep doing it for a few years? You could probably even charge 20/hour and find some students on craigslist when Kaplan is hiring a 164 to reinforce you to study. It sounds like you just need to stay consistent, and maybe work on your anxiety. If you have to get some schooling, it might make sense to do something IP to make you patent bar eligible if it's cheap. I think 10k-20k makes it worth it just based on the doors it opens.

Basically the two choices I have to weigh right now are option 1) go to law school at age 23, get out at 26, have diminished job prospects and heightened debt. 2) go to law school at age 26, get out at 29, have significantly more doors opened for me and possibly even net some scholarship money along with money saved up to pay for law school. In retrospect it would be a huge mistake for me to just go to law school right now for the sake of doing so.

Taking the test 3 times in 2013 was definitely a mistake also..I think this next year will be great for my mind to just take off of the lsat and focus on work, as well as handling my anxiety issues. thank you for your advice :)

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:45 pm

The key is self confidence. Believing in God and his plan for you can also suffice, as would just not giving a shit. If you lack confidence, faith and give a shit you will be anxious.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:40 am

PepperJack wrote:The key is self confidence. Believing in God and his plan for you can also suffice, as would just not giving a shit. If you lack confidence, faith and give a shit you will be anxious.

:?:

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:22 am

midwest17 wrote:
PepperJack wrote:The key is self confidence. Believing in God and his plan for you can also suffice, as would just not giving a shit. If you lack confidence, faith and give a shit you will be anxious.

:?:

It is like one of those annoyingly difficult LR questions that one has to read 2-3 times to understand the gist of it.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:54 am

You're still very young. Definitely take a couple of years off to figure out your trajectory. Applying now for the sake of going to law school ASAP is the wrong move here.

Return to “What are my chances?”