Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165 (UPDATED, re-taking)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165 (UPDATED, re-taking)

Postby David_Hume14 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Where should I be applying? Maybe more important, where *shouldn't* I apply?

Top Markets: NYC, Chicago, D.C., my hometown secondary (where I'd be an auto-admit at the local law school).

I'm considering UIUC and WUSTL, for sure. Not sure about my chances at either school. Maybe UGA because of their decent clerkship #s, and Atlanta seems fun (never been).

UPDATE: I've decided to re-take. If I can score a 170, what are my chances at Northwestern, UPenn, UVA, and G'town?
Last edited by David_Hume14 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm sorry to say, you'll most likely have to retake if you want to make law school worthwhile. Even WUSTL last year would not have looked at this application (sadly, they would have if you had a 166). You'll need a 167+ for the regional schools and 170+ for large firm opportunities at NU or UVA.

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby Birdnals » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:11 pm

You should be retaking. With those numbers you won't get in to any school worth going to for a price worth paying. Definitely do not go to an out of state school in a state you don't have ties in.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:11 pm

You may get UIUC at sticker. You're below both medians at WUSTL so chances are very poor.

You should retake the LSAT for a 170+. WUSTL with $90k+ or the lower T14 are possibilities for you if you can raise your score.

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby David_Hume14 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:18 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:You may get UIUC at sticker. You're below both medians at WUSTL so chances are very poor.

You should retake the LSAT for a 170+. WUSTL with $90k+ or the lower T14 are possibilities for you if you can raise your score.


I know that's ideal but I was never even PTing over 171. I don't think it would be realistic to try and re-take for a 170.

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby David_Hume14 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Are UMN and Wisconsin worth a shot? Would be fine in either market, I love those cities. But I realize I wouldn't get BIGLAW there. And I'm cool with that.

littleaaron
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby littleaaron » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:51 pm

How much time did you spend studying? Are you sure a 170 isn't out of the question?

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:57 pm

You're not a super splitter until you have a 170+, and law school won't be worth attending until you do.

bigsleep1
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:20 am

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby bigsleep1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Hey man, I have virtually the same numbers as you, so wanted to offer my perspective.

First of all, I am retaking, I realized my weakness was simply becoming a better reader, so I started a speed reading program and I am hoping it will help, as well as other tweaks to my regimen.

Regardless, the issue with our numbers is this, they are good enough to get ACCEPTED at a solid school, especially a regional one. However, if you get ACCEPTED, you will pay FULL TUITION. Any school that will give you a scholarship, wont be worth going to.

The only real option is to retake, I don't think you need a 170, I think 168+ can get you in to the schools you are looking at with some money.

Good luck.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby wtrc » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:52 pm

Not to be harsh, but I agree with the other posters- you aren't a super splitter with a poor GPA and a semi-decent LSAT score. Retake, get that LSAT score to 170, and then you'll have better options.

willmendel
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby willmendel » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Just out of curiosity, what are some other schools you are thinking about, especially in those preferred regions?
I'm asking because I can't get a handle on your "range" based on your post. i.e. most people would say that wustl is a great deal full-ride, but less so at sticker for someone who wants LA biglaw or something. The advice you've been getting is assuming you are targeting t-14 schools or around there, or like gunning for the scholly at wustl.

The fact that you call yourself a supersplitter also indicates that maybe you're looking at lower ranked schools? Because you would, in fact, be a super splitter at lower ranked schools.

I think it's possible that the reason the advice given might seem weird is because the implied advice is that you should go for t-14 or a strong regional with a scholarship or something similar. But its true that, while uiuc is a great school, it's hard to justify going with the price you'd have to pay with those stats. you really should retake for the 170+, max out your lsat takes, and then, if you still want law school, reassess your options with 3 scores under your belt.

a 172ish will make you a good candidate northwestern, especially if you have we, and it's a MUCH better option than uiuc--and not just for chicago area. GULC also takes splitters and have been known to dip into the 2.7 range, they're the top school in DC

have you seen law school numbers and law school transparency yet?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby 20141023 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:38 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:15 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
wtrc wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:You're not a super splitter until you have a 170+, and law school won't be worth attending until you do.
Not to be harsh, but I agree with the other posters- you aren't a super splitter with a poor GPA and a semi-decent LSAT score. Retake, get that LSAT score to 170, and then you'll have better options.

Actually, a "super splitter" is simply someone with one stat below a school's 25th percentile, and the other stat above the school's 75th percentile, so it is a relative term. Accordingly, the OP is not a "super splitter" in regards to WUSTL and UIUC, but he is one in regards to UGA (Class of 2016 75th LSAT = 164 / 25th GPA = 3.31). :wink:

Even so, you guys are right that OP should retake to compensate for that godawful GPA.


"Super splitter" as used on this site has always meant someone with a sub-3.0 and a 170+ (and usually substantially below the former and above the latter).

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby 20141023 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:03 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
McGruff
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby McGruff » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:You're not a super splitter until you have a 170+, and law school won't be worth attending until you do.

Actually, a "super splitter" is simply someone with one stat below a school's 25th percentile, and the other stat above the school's 75th percentile, so it is a relative term. Accordingly, the OP is not a "super splitter" in regards to WUSTL and UIUC, but he is one in regards to UGA (Class of 2016 75th LSAT = 164 / 25th GPA = 3.31). :wink:

Even so, you guys are right that OP should retake to compensate for that godawful GPA.


"Super splitter" as used on this site has always meant someone with a sub-3.0 and a 170+ (and usually substantially below the former and above the latter).

Meh... I think that's just because of this site's reluctance to use the word "super" in regards to anything below a 170. :lol:


kappycaft1's definition doesn't preclude the 170+ requirement for TLS specifically, in that TLS has a lot of people who are aiming for the T14, and in order to be above the T14's LSAT 75th percentiles, you have to be in the 170s (except for Cornell's 167 75th this year :? ). Personally, I think of a supersplitter as having one number at each end of the spectrum, and while 165 is 90th percentile for the population at large, it's probably median or below on TLS.

Obviously everyone agrees that OP needs to retake and that law school won't be worthwhile until they do isn't affected by whether or not they're technically a super-splitter.

User avatar
jordan15
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:06 am

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby jordan15 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:19 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
wtrc wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:You're not a super splitter until you have a 170+, and law school won't be worth attending until you do.
Not to be harsh, but I agree with the other posters- you aren't a super splitter with a poor GPA and a semi-decent LSAT score. Retake, get that LSAT score to 170, and then you'll have better options.

Actually, a "super splitter" is simply someone with one stat below a school's 25th percentile, and the other stat above the school's 75th percentile, so it is a relative term. Accordingly, the OP is not a "super splitter" in regards to WUSTL and UIUC, but he is one in regards to UGA (Class of 2016 75th LSAT = 164 / 25th GPA = 3.31). :wink:

Even so, you guys are right that OP should retake to compensate for that godawful GPA.


That's just a regular splitter.

wolfgang
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby wolfgang » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:38 pm

just out of curiosity, OP...

You don't seem "biglaw or bust" if you're okay with umn realizing that biglaw chances are slim there.

When you say that you have preferred markets (ny, dc, chicago), are you saying you prefer biglaw there? Or that just just prefer to live there, and your list of preferred regions just happens to coincide with some biglaw markets?

This doesn't change the fact that a retake is the right move at the moment, but it might change your plan of attack after you retake for that 180 :)

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby David_Hume14 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:40 pm

wolfgang wrote:just out of curiosity, OP...

You don't seem "biglaw or bust" if you're okay with umn realizing that biglaw chances are slim there.

When you say that you have preferred markets (ny, dc, chicago), are you saying you prefer biglaw there? Or that just just prefer to live there, and your list of preferred regions just happens to coincide with some biglaw markets?

This doesn't change the fact that a retake is the right move at the moment, but it might change your plan of attack after you retake for that 180 :)


Definitely not biglaw or bust but I want/need to work in a big city because I grew up in nyc without ever learning to drive haha. i'd prefer a "life style" law job over anything but i realize there are truly very few jd-required life style jobs.

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby David_Hume14 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:45 pm

willmendel wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are some other schools you are thinking about, especially in those preferred regions?
I'm asking because I can't get a handle on your "range" based on your post. i.e. most people would say that wustl is a great deal full-ride, but less so at sticker for someone who wants LA biglaw or something. The advice you've been getting is assuming you are targeting t-14 schools or around there, or like gunning for the scholly at wustl.

The fact that you call yourself a supersplitter also indicates that maybe you're looking at lower ranked schools? Because you would, in fact, be a super splitter at lower ranked schools.

I think it's possible that the reason the advice given might seem weird is because the implied advice is that you should go for t-14 or a strong regional with a scholarship or something similar. But its true that, while uiuc is a great school, it's hard to justify going with the price you'd have to pay with those stats. you really should retake for the 170+, max out your lsat takes, and then, if you still want law school, reassess your options with 3 scores under your belt.

a 172ish will make you a good candidate northwestern, especially if you have we, and it's a MUCH better option than uiuc--and not just for chicago area. GULC also takes splitters and have been known to dip into the 2.7 range, they're the top school in DC

have you seen law school numbers and law school transparency yet?


other schools i'm looking at are SMU, colorado, and hastings (*gulp* - would only go if they give me $$)

yup, i've peaked at both of those sites. fwiw, i do have 2-3 years of WE separating me from my gpa.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5680
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby BVest » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 pm

SMU has been known to give money to sub-3.0 165s. Those I've known like that had WE though.

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby David_Hume14 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm

BVest wrote:SMU has been known to give money to sub-3.0 165s. Those I've known like that had WE though.


yeah like I said, I've got some tech/sales experience. don't want to say too much.

smu does well according to abovethelaw rankings

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:20 pm

you might get into WUSTL but you likely won't get money unless the target median drops to 165 or something. Re-take in December

David_Hume14
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby David_Hume14 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:30 pm

cusenation wrote:you might get into WUSTL but you likely won't get money unless the target median drops to 165 or something. Re-take in December


haven't been keeping up. what's their c/o 2016 profile look like?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:32 pm

David_Hume14 wrote:
cusenation wrote:you might get into WUSTL but you likely won't get money unless the target median drops to 165 or something. Re-take in December


haven't been keeping up. what's their c/o 2016 profile look like?


160/3.27 25th
166/3.69 median
167/3.77 75th

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Super Splitter Here: 2.7, 165

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

OP, you still haven't said how much you studied. This may help people tell you how likely it is that you can get a much higher score.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests