3.5/167 Help with school list!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
csargean
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm

3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby csargean » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Hey all,
Just got back october 2013 lsat score and scored a 167. I have a 3.5 from a good state school in California. I am starting to put together a school list but not positive what schools fit for targets and reach. Softs are good but nothing out of the ordinary (upward grade trend, graduated in 3 years, internship, study abroad).
So far my ideas were:

Reach:
-USC
-UCLA
-UWA
Target:
-Davis
-W&L
-Colorado
Safety:
-Loyola Marymount

Just looking for any advice on if these seem like a reasonable range and/or other schools I should consider adding to my list.

Cheers!

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby cotiger » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:18 pm

I take it you want to stay in the west. There aren't a ton of good schools for you to choose between, unfortunately. You'll most likely get into USC, Washington, and Arizona. There are no other schools worth going to (besides obviously Stanford, Berkeley, and UCLA). Even at USC, UW, and UA, it's not worth it without a good scholarship at USC or resident status at UW or UA. Fortunately, you appear to have a good shot at some decent money at USC (~60k). That's still not an ideal outcome.

What you really need to do is retake the LSAT. Just 2 points higher (within your current score band) can get you into places like Michigan, Duke, Cornell, and (to a less exciting degree) UCLA, all with the possibility of money. If you get a 170, NYU comes into play.

Redfactor
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby Redfactor » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 pm

I would throw three additional apps out there UCB, Cornell and WUSTL.

If you notice UCB actually raised their 25% by three points from a 163 to a 166. It might be a signal they're changing their philosophy and becoming a bit more concerned with numbers. I think it's worth an app for you.

Cornell's 75% (167) is the same as their median, 167. I feel this may be a sign they didn't have very much cushion before a point drop. I wouldn't at all be surprised if their median was a 166 at the end of this cycle.

WUSTL gave out HUGE scholarships for your numbers last cycle. If they've still got the funds, going there at a deep, deep discount is still a pretty darn good deal. Besides, you can use those scholarship awards to help negotiate.

csargean
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby csargean » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks for the advice!

I am not set on being in the West. However, I ideally would like to practice here and know that job placement doesn't necessarily stretch nationally at the schools I would consider. Some others I had considered, however, were BU, BC, Vanderbildt, U Texas, Notre Dam, and William and Mary.

How do my shot at these look given my current numbers?

Thanks again!

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby hephaestus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:59 am

Are you considering a retake? Two more points and you are T14 secure. As it stands, definitely add Cornell to your list since you have a good shot.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby guano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:01 am

Redfactor wrote:If you notice UCB actually raised their 25% by three points from a 163 to a 166. It might be a signal they're changing their philosophy and becoming a bit more concerned with numbers. I think it's worth an app for you.

What difference does this make?

The focus should be on employment upon graduation, not the school's "philosophy" (whatever that means). How do their employment numbers stack up? Isn't CO notoriously hard to break into for non-Coloradans?

csargean
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby csargean » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 am

I am not planning to retake. I would like to apply this cycle and don't want to rush into a December LSAT. Moreover, 167 was about my PT range. Although I had a few higher (168, 2 169's, 173), I feel far from certain that I could obtain a score like this in December.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby guano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 am

csargean wrote:I am not planning to retake. I would like to apply this cycle and don't want to rush into a December LSAT. Moreover, 167 was about my PT range. Although I had a few higher (168, 2 169's, 173), I feel far from certain that I could obtain a score like this in December.

Retake in February

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby cotiger » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:22 am

csargean wrote:I am not planning to retake. I would like to apply this cycle and don't want to rush into a December LSAT. Moreover, 167 was about my PT range. Although I had a few higher (168, 2 169's, 173), I feel far from certain that I could obtain a score like this in December.


You don't want to rush into a December LSAT, but are totally willing to rush into a ton of debt and/or lesser employment prospects? Confusing..

There's no downside to retaking. Schools only look at your highest score. You've shown that you have the ability to score higher. Go for it.

Compare:
Image

To just two points higher:
Image

User avatar
DrStudMuffin
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby DrStudMuffin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:29 am

guano wrote:
Redfactor wrote:If you notice UCB actually raised their 25% by three points from a 163 to a 166. It might be a signal they're changing their philosophy and becoming a bit more concerned with numbers. I think it's worth an app for you.

What difference does this make?

The focus should be on employment upon graduation, not the school's "philosophy" (whatever that means). How do their employment numbers stack up? Isn't CO notoriously hard to break into for non-Coloradans?


I believe Redfactor is referring to Berkeley.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby cotiger » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:32 am

DrStudMuffin wrote:
guano wrote:
Redfactor wrote:If you notice UCB actually raised their 25% by three points from a 163 to a 166. It might be a signal they're changing their philosophy and becoming a bit more concerned with numbers. I think it's worth an app for you.

What difference does this make?

The focus should be on employment upon graduation, not the school's "philosophy" (whatever that means). How do their employment numbers stack up? Isn't CO notoriously hard to break into for non-Coloradans?


I believe Redfactor is referring to Berkeley.


Yep. Fun fact: despite the fact that the name of the school is the University of Colorado, the correct abbreviation of the flagship campus is CU.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby guano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 am

cotiger wrote:
DrStudMuffin wrote:
guano wrote:
Redfactor wrote:If you notice UCB actually raised their 25% by three points from a 163 to a 166. It might be a signal they're changing their philosophy and becoming a bit more concerned with numbers. I think it's worth an app for you.

What difference does this make?

The focus should be on employment upon graduation, not the school's "philosophy" (whatever that means). How do their employment numbers stack up? Isn't CO notoriously hard to break into for non-Coloradans?


I believe Redfactor is referring to Berkeley.


Yep. Fun fact: despite the fact that the name of the school is the University of Colorado, the correct abbreviation of the flagship campus is CU.

Still, what difference does it make? Employment numbers are not going to magically improve just because a school changes it's philosophy regarding admissions

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby cotiger » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:46 am

guano wrote:Still, what difference does it make? Employment numbers are not going to magically improve just because a school changes it's philosophy regarding admissions


No one is arguing that.

Redfactor pointed out that if Berkeley changes its admissions philosophy to be more numbers based, it makes it easier to get in if you have the required numbers. Thus, it might be worth the $100 app fee because OP is at their median LSAT, despite the fact that people with OPs numbers haven't traditionally been accepted.

RC.

User avatar
DrStudMuffin
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby DrStudMuffin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:52 am

cotiger wrote:
guano wrote:Still, what difference does it make? Employment numbers are not going to magically improve just because a school changes it's philosophy regarding admissions


No one is arguing that.

Redfactor pointed out that if Berkeley changes its admissions philosophy to be more numbers based, it makes it easier to get in if you have the required numbers. Thus, it might be worth the $100 app fee because OP is at their median LSAT, despite the fact that people with OPs numbers haven't traditionally been accepted.

RC.


Yup.

User avatar
Beercules
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 am

Re: 3.5/167 Help with school list!

Postby Beercules » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:06 pm

Cornell is TCR.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests