172/2.93

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
burtmacklin

172/2.93

Postby burtmacklin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Hey guys, I'm trying to clarify my situation a little bit here. I took the LSAT twice, 166 first time and obviously 172 second like I mentioned in the title. I graduated from a top 25 private school and majored in Economics. I graduated last year and don't expect my LORs to really impress anybody, they're just kinda there. Not a URM by any stretch of the imagination. Help me out gurus. Oh and forgot to mention that I don't think my work experience is gonna impress NU enough, so I'm kinda soured on them. I'm just gonna keep editing as I think of pertinent info lol, I don't have a positive trend in my GPA or anything, but I did tend to do much better in courses that were heavily focused on writing, is this something I should bring up in an app? I'm from NY and would love to work here after law school, but idt NYU is gonna bite, so what are my options in that regard? I hear that schools like WUSTL are kind to splitters, but what are the chances of getting a job back in NY going there? My dad is a lawyer, but not in NYC and idt he has any big connections or anything, but I guess I do have something of a network to come back to if I choose to go out to another state for law school

I edited again after I realized that the advice is to ED to UVA, wait to hear back real quick, then ED elsewhere if rejected. Anyway, please help I just wanna be somewhere lol

cotiger

Re: 172/2.93

Postby cotiger » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:33 pm

You are correct. ED UVA.

You've got a good shot at NU. They might not be impressed by your WE, but it's well within the range of possibility that they just want your LSAT. No reason to sour on them because they are your best shot at T14.

If you get dinged at UVA, you could ED GULC. But be aware you'd be paying sticker. If your parents are paying for it, that might not be a bad choice. I still might be more inclined to test NU RD. That's a totally personal decision, though.

If your parents aren't paying for it, I wouldn't ED GULC. Hope for NU and take the money at WUSTL if you don't get it.

burtmacklin

Postby burtmacklin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks a lot! Should I assume UVA will be sticker as well if I'm accepted? Also, I saw that ED chart floating around here so I know about who gives boosts and who doesn't, but is there value for me in EDing NU and going for that huge scholarship? I'm thinking they would push me back to RD

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:46 pm

There is no point in EDing to NU. ED to UVA, and if you're willing to pay sticker (which is a huge life decision), go for it.

burtmacklin

Postby burtmacklin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Alright guys, I'm really not sure if this is a stupid question or not, and I've been browsing through the financial aid forum looking for info, but if I were to get accepted ED at UVA or GULC, assuming i don't get merit-based scholarships, I can still get some need-based money can't I? When you guys say paying sticker does that take into account a chance for getting need-based aid as well (as in, these schools don't give out need-based aid and so I'm paying sticker no matter what)? I'd be paying for law school on my own, and I definitely feel like I need financial help lol, I don't see how a traditional applicant wouldn't

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:47 pm

burtmacklin wrote:Alright guys, I'm really not sure if this is a stupid question or not, and I've been browsing through the financial aid forum looking for info, but if I were to get accepted ED at UVA or GULC, assuming i don't get merit-based scholarships, I can still get some need-based money can't I? When you guys say paying sticker does that take into account a chance for getting need-based aid as well (as in, these schools don't give out need-based aid and so I'm paying sticker no matter what)? I'd be paying for law school on my own, and I definitely feel like I need financial help lol, I don't see how a traditional applicant wouldn't

These schools tend to give very little in the way of need based aid.

burtmacklin

Postby burtmacklin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Ahh got it, thanks so much for the help guys, I guess like twentypercent said, I've got a huge life decision ahead of me lol

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm

burtmacklin wrote:Alright guys, I'm really not sure if this is a stupid question or not, and I've been browsing through the financial aid forum looking for info, but if I were to get accepted ED at UVA or GULC, assuming i don't get merit-based scholarships, I can still get some need-based money can't I? When you guys say paying sticker does that take into account a chance for getting need-based aid as well (as in, these schools don't give out need-based aid and so I'm paying sticker no matter what)? I'd be paying for law school on my own, and I definitely feel like I need financial help lol, I don't see how a traditional applicant wouldn't

Assuming "traditional applicant" means K-JD, know that most schools (especially those that offer any sizable amounts of need-based aid) will take your parents' income into account when determining need. It doesn't matter if your parents aren't helping you pay; if you're young enough, the schools will count them.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 pm

UVA is unlikely to accept you. Give it a shot, but I think the next smartest move would be working for a couple of years and then applying to NU.

Return to “What are my chances?”