3.61/170 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Serett

3.61/170

Post by Serett » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:15 am

Hey all, thanks in advance for any input. I've done some checking around on the resource/number-plugging sites, but as I seem to be in an especially grey area during this era of falling means, I wanted to consult TLS's collective expertise. I'm from the Midwest and attended a state flagship Big Ten public university. I'm not a URM (white male here). My softs are somewhat average to hopefully-not-too-below average--nothing particularly prestigious and little to no extracurricular activities. That said, I was a 4-year graduate who triple-majored (just in social science and humanities degrees) while working at least 20 and often 30 or so hours/week. More personal to me, my family is about a decade removed from bankruptcy, and I'm both a first-generation university and prospective law student (my grandparents are farmers, my dad was a first-semester drop-out at a college no one has ever heard of, and my mom has a 2-year/Tech School degree as a non-traditional student). My work history is nothing noteworthy in the area of prestige, but I have been consistently employed since age 15, and I'm working a run-of-the-mill, bland full-time job at the moment (complete with some internal accolades but nothing that's going to make much of a difference to adcoms). Whenever they're finished, I expect to have a pair of good LoRs. No particular GPA trend. My last two semesters were probably my best two, but my final GPA is actually the same as my freshman year GPA (consistency, right?). I'd assume this all adds up to not really helping or hurting my hard numbers very much.

So, I expect that I'm more-or-less a lock for non-T14 schools in the region with likelihood of significant aid. It also seems like I'd have a very high chance of admission to Cornell and Georgetown and respectably solid chances at Michigan and Duke. My chances of YHS are approaching, if not outright, 0%, so probably won't bother. Past there is where things become murky. I really have no geographic stipulations, although staying in the Midwest and more specifically the Chicago area would probably be the least adventurous/most practical choice. Do I have a chance at CCN--particularly Chicago as my first choice? Are some more likely than others, and is there a likelihood of any money whatsoever even if I would be accepted? Where do Northwestern/Berkeley fall in the rankings nowadays? Are Virginia or Penn at all likely? Any chance of money at these? I'm planning on doing the wise thing and just sending out a large number of applications, but I'm anxious and would like to have more fine-tuned expectations going into the cycle. In other words, help make time fly while I await my LoRs :D

hephaestus

Gold

Re: 3.61/170

Post by hephaestus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:04 am

Your GPA is too low for Chicago. You may get NYU, and you'll get several of the lower T14. I wouldn't ED because you will likely get money to at least one of the lower T14.

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the input. Regarding ED, would trying it for Northwestern be a decent idea? If I'd get in, 50k/year at a T14 with my numbers seems like a steal.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:23 pm

Serett wrote:Sounds good, thanks for the input. Regarding ED, would trying it for Northwestern be a decent idea? If I'd get in, 50k/year at a T14 with my numbers seems like a steal.
You're at the LSAT median and below the GPA median, so ED at Northwestern looks unlikely. (Their ED, because it's full-ride, is more competitive than their RD). But mylsn suggests it might be possible:

Specifically, these two people got it:

3.66/171: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/darkwings
3.48/170: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Batfax

Both of them had several years post-college WE; I'm not sure how far out of college you are.

All that said: NU ED seems like a longshot for you, but there's not an obvious downside. If you're happy with NU's employment numbers and could see yourself going there, the full ride is attractive. I guess it turns on whether you would take NYU or UVA with less money over NU with a full ride:

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:35 pm

Sounds like you'll have a sexy PS. I really wish you the best.

That said, a 3.6 isn't a terrible GPA by any stretch, and a 170 definitely makes you competitive. I would say you're (super) reach for Harvard, 30-70 on Columbia/Chicago, and 40-60 NYU/Berkeley (Boalt loves them GPAs). I'd say very good chances with the rest of the t14 (at least 50-50).

Best bet: apply early. You have a great story and that counts as a "soft". Rule of thumb for applicants with ok numbers but great softs is to apply early. Conventional TLS wisdom will tell you to retake. If you have time, do so. 173+ will work wonders.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:40 pm

dnptan wrote:173+ will work wonders.
Truth:

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:46 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the input, everyone. The advice and breakdowns really help. Here's to falling medians :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”