Taking LSATs 3 times - how does that affect my chances??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
paperrev

Taking LSATs 3 times - how does that affect my chances??

Postby paperrev » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:56 am

Hey guys. So I have a 3.9 from an Ivy and had a question about the LSATs.

I am taking the LSATs for my third time in December. I cancelled my score because I was severely sick in June (I literally thought I was gonna faint mid-exam) and then on my October exam, I don't know why, but I got nervous and choked really bad and got a 167. I'm really confident that I'll probably get at least a 170 on my December exam (*knock on wood*), but I just wanted to know how much being an LSAT 3 timer would affect my chances of getting into HYS/CCN. I could really use some perspective. Thank you!

Ti Malice

Re: Taking LSATs 3 times - how does that affect my chances??

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:12 am

It's hard to say. Retakers do seem to fare a little worse at YHS, but your 167 is high enough that it shouldn't look too odd sitting next to a 170+. I wouldn't expect any underperformance at CCN.

jstep

Postby jstep » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:16 am

I was at the Los Angeles LSAC Forum this past Saturday and more than a few T14 admissions directors told me that a retake only makes them raise an eye brow for a split second.

They really only want "to see that you would be a successful student at XYZ school" but what I interpreted that to mean was that they really just want the score that's above their median, and then as long as there are no 'red flag' softs, then you're equivalent to everyone else.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:26 am

jstep wrote:I was at the Los Angeles LSAC Forum this past Saturday and more than a few T14 admissions directors told me that a retake only makes them raise an eye brow for a split second.

They really only want "to see that you would be a successful student at XYZ school" but what I interpreted that to mean was that they really just want the score that's above their median, and then as long as there are no 'red flag' softs, then you're equivalent to everyone else.

That's true for most schools. But I'd be hesitant to put too much stock into what adcomms say publicly. They also tend to tout the (generally nonexistent) "holistic" admissions at their respective schools. Much of what adcomms say does not comport very well with the actual admissions data.

jstep

Postby jstep » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:09 am

Ti Malice wrote:
jstep wrote:I was at the Los Angeles LSAC Forum this past Saturday and more than a few T14 admissions directors told me that a retake only makes them raise an eye brow for a split second.

That's true for most schools. But I'd be hesitant to put too much stock into what adcomms say publicly. They also tend to tout the (generally nonexistent) "holistic" admissions at their respective schools. Much of what adcomms say does not comport very well with the actual admissions data.

Well what effects do re-take numbers have on USNR rankings?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:07 am

jstep wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

Well what effects do re-take numbers have on USNR rankings?

Non sequitur. Regardless of USNWR's metrics, the data shows that a small number of top schools disfavor retakers to varying degrees.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:09 am

Congrats on the 3.9 and the 167. I didn't go to a T14, but my school didn't care that I took it three times (3.62 GPA, 157, 151, 164). I got in with money.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:39 am

If you can make a sizable improvement and provide some context to the cancel-167-173+, it won't affect you too much. Of course, YS tend to be the most "holistic," so you better have interesting things beyond your numbers in your app, while I think HCCN would likely give slight pause before moving on and treating you like any other 3.9/173+.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 am

matthewsean85 wrote:If you can make a sizable improvement and provide some context to the cancel-167-173+, it won't affect you too much. Of course, YS tend to be the most "holistic," so you better have interesting things beyond your numbers in your app, while I think HCCN would likely give slight pause before moving on and treating you like any other 3.9/173+.

I think this is the most likely outcome. You may compromise chances at YS, but you aren't getting them now as is.

Return to “What are my chances?”