3.68/171 - Want NYU/Penn/Columbia

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yummy11

3.68/171 - Want NYU/Penn/Columbia

Postby yummy11 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:02 pm

-LSAC GPA is 3.68
-LSAT score is 171 (first try, I am considering retake in Dec)
-Attended a normal large state university, political science major
-Average (or even below average) softs/extracurriculars/work
-2 LOR, One good/great LOR from senior year seminar professor, and one average/good LOR from pre-law professor and got A's in all 3 of his classes I took
-Non-URM
-Essays not done yet

Want to attend one of Columbia, NYU, Penn

Columbia appears to be out of reach. I heard there is not much boost in ED-ing CLS . But with applications and test-takers down this cycle, could an ED be a good move? Seems very unlikely to me, but Columbia is my ideal top choice, and I guess I'd just like to hear what some of you think.

Otherwise, NYU is realistically my top priority and my best shot at a T6. How much does an ED to NYU help, and how do NYU admissions look for this cycle and someone with my numbers?

Also, can I feel at all safe/optimistic about getting into Penn through regular decision? Or are my chances even at Penn shaky?? Is ED to Penn even an option I should consider? Rejection from Penn would be a nightmare scenario and I hope to get some tips on avoiding rejection, waitlist, and yield protection.

Bottom line is that I really want to try and lock into NYU or Penn.

Thanks.

aboutmydaylight

Re: 3.68/171 - Want NYU/Penn/Columbia

Postby aboutmydaylight » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Likely in at NYU and down other than Boalt. Chance at Columbia and Chicago. Don't ED. Columbia's medians are 171/3.7 and if anything they'll drop slightly next cycle. They're LSAT heavy and median LSAT will be pretty valuable. Retake if you know you can do better. If you score over 171 I'd say you have a really good chance at Columbia.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:04 am

yummy11 wrote:-LSAC GPA is 3.68
-LSAT score is 171 (first try, I am considering retake in Dec)
-Attended a normal large state university, political science major
-Average (or even below average) softs/extracurriculars/work
-2 LOR, One good/great LOR from senior year seminar professor, and one average/good LOR from pre-law professor and got A's in all 3 of his classes I took
-Non-URM
-Essays not done yet

Want to attend one of Columbia, NYU, Penn

Columbia appears to be out of reach. I heard there is not much boost in ED-ing CLS . But with applications and test-takers down this cycle, could an ED be a good move? Seems very unlikely to me, but Columbia is my ideal top choice, and I guess I'd just like to hear what some of you think.

Otherwise, NYU is realistically my top priority and my best shot at a T6. How much does an ED to NYU help, and how do NYU admissions look for this cycle and someone with my numbers?

Also, can I feel at all safe/optimistic about getting into Penn through regular decision? Or are my chances even at Penn shaky?? Is ED to Penn even an option I should consider? Rejection from Penn would be a nightmare scenario and I hope to get some tips on avoiding rejection, waitlist, and yield protection.

Bottom line is that I really want to try and lock into NYU or Penn.

Thanks.

You could easily be in at all three. Don't write yourself off at all at Columbia, just be prepared for a possible waitlist or reserve.

I don't know if I could put myself through a retake in your situation.... but another 2 points does make you a lock...

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:18 pm

I have almost the exact same numbers! I'll be keeping an eye on your cycle. Best of luck!

With declining medians, I'd say you're in at NYU and have a very solid shot at Columbia. Chicago is a reach due to GPA medians, but you never know (my buddy got in there with a 3.7 and a 172 last year).

yummy11

Postby yummy11 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:22 am

Wow I didn't know that Columbia's medians fell to that range...great to know that I may have a better shot than I previously thought.

On myLSN one thing really scared me though... I searched 171 LSAT and 3.60-3.69 GPA, excluded ED and URM. I limited the search for the 2011-2012, 2012-2013, and 2013-2014 cycles. Does look like a good shot at NYU. But can someone maybe tell me what is going on with Penn?! 2 acceptances and 11 on the waitlist?? 15% rate vs Columbia's 33% rate?

School Ac Wa Re % % $ / Avg $ Waiver Employment

4. Chicago 2 5 2 22%
4. Columbia 4 7 33%
6. NYU 13 2 1 81%
7. U Penn 2 11 0 15%
7. UVA 7 5 0 58%

Is it yield protection? Did those 11 people skip the Why Penn letter or fail to write convincing ones?

Not getting into Columbia would be less of a surprise. But man I really really want to secure that acceptance to Penn.

With stats like mine and JWP's, how can one avoid yield protection or being waitlisted in a situation like this? (besides ED)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:29 am

yummy11 wrote:Wow I didn't know that Columbia's medians fell to that range...great to know that I may have a better shot than I previously thought.

On myLSN one thing really scared me though... I searched 171 LSAT and 3.60-3.69 GPA, excluded ED and URM. I limited the search for the 2011-2012, 2012-2013, and 2013-2014 cycles. Does look like a good shot at NYU. But can someone maybe tell me what is going on with Penn?! 2 acceptances and 11 on the waitlist?? 15% rate vs Columbia's 33% rate?

School Ac Wa Re % % $ / Avg $ Waiver Employment

4. Chicago 2 5 2 22%
4. Columbia 4 7 33%
6. NYU 13 2 1 81%
7. U Penn 2 11 0 15%
7. UVA 7 5 0 58%

Is it yield protection? Did those 11 people skip the Why Penn letter or fail to write convincing ones?

Not getting into Columbia would be less of a surprise. But man I really really want to secure that acceptance to Penn.

With stats like mine and JWP's, how can one avoid yield protection or being waitlisted in a situation like this? (besides ED)

Yup, thats YP baby! Penn sifted thru and found those 11 peeps who would matriculate to NYU (or maybe CC) even with a Penn acceptance, so they held them on the waitlist. They probably didnt write additional essays or a Why Penn (you'd be surprised by how many people dont), and then in April/May if they really wanted Penn, they would usually get called in off the WL after phone discussion of interest. The waitlist at Penn is far from a dead-end, because they could never fill their class size if they werent admitting people off it. Still , best way to avoid WL there is 171+ LSAT, additional essays, and solid Why Penn.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Having the problem of dealing with YP is one of the better problems to have.

Return to “What are my chances?”