3.83/168

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ftbchamp231

3.83/168

Postby ftbchamp231 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:10 am

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

My dream school is UPenn and I think I am just under their range. If it is worth anything I am also Captain of my college's crew team, I have heard athletics helps but I have no idea how much. I also have a 4.0 GPA in my major, again I don't know what this would mean to law school admissions.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

cotiger

Re: 3.83/168

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:32 am

Your softs are not going to help. If you are a long-time lurker, you should know to go to mylsn.info. And should also know that we're going to tell you to retake.

ftbchamp231

Postby ftbchamp231 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Thank you, I think Duke will be a better fit. Seems like it is around 50/50, hopefully my softs will push me over the edge.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:43 pm

ftbchamp231 wrote:Thank you, I think Duke will be a better fit. Seems like it is around 50/50, hopefully my softs will push me over the edge.

To reiterate, your softs will not help you, nor will they "push you over the edge." You should retake for a 170 for big money at the lower T14. If you refuse, apply to MVP on down RD, and go to the cheapest option.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:25 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
ftbchamp231 wrote:Thank you, I think Duke will be a better fit. Seems like it is around 50/50, hopefully my softs will push me over the edge.

To reiterate, your softs will not help you, nor will they "push you over the edge." You should retake for a 170 for big money at the lower T14. If you refuse, apply to MVP on down RD, and go to the cheapest option.

OP, if your most notable soft is that you're the captain of your college crew team, then you have well below average softs and will require maybe around a 75% score on mylsn to have a true 50/50 shot.

You need to retake. And/or take a year off and get some work experience.

Compare where you are right now

To just two points higher (still within your current score band)

It's the difference between choosing between 15k at Michigan or Cornell right now, and choosing between 30k at NYU or 120k at Northwestern by getting just 2 points higher and a year of work experience. Gigantic difference.

ftbchamp231

Postby ftbchamp231 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:27 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

I am afraid I have no idea what "on down RD" means. I will probably try for MVP and see what happens, I don't have the time this fall to fully commit to studying for the December test.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:36 pm

ftbchamp231 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

I am afraid I have no idea what "on down RD" means. I will probably try for MVP and see what happens, I don't have the time this fall to fully commit to studying for the December test.

I'll play devils advocate and say that you still have great options with a 168 this cycle. Lots of medians dropped to 168 and I think Duke would be a great option for you. You'll probably get in there with $, which you can turn into $$ via negotiation - make sure to apply to Michigan, UVA, Duke, Cornell, NU with Penn and NYU as reaches.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:37 pm

ftbchamp231 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

He means apply to the lower T14 regular decision.

Of those that you're applying to, you'll get into Michigan, Cornell, and Georgetown. You might get into Duke or Northwestern.

If you retake for 170 and/or take a year off, you're in at NYU, Penn, Berkeley, and UVA, with a chance for Chicago in addition to the possibility of big money from those that you'll get in to with a 168.

Is that difference not worth it to you?

ftbchamp231

Postby ftbchamp231 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 pm

cotiger wrote:
ftbchamp231 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

He means apply to the lower T14 regular decision.

Of those that you're applying to, you'll get into Michigan, Cornell, and Georgetown. You might get into Duke or Northwestern.

If you retake for 170 and/or take a year off, you're in at NYU, Penn, Berkeley, and UVA, with a chance for Chicago in addition to the possibility of big money from those that you'll get in to with a 168.

Is that difference not worth it to you?

I guess I was hoping to hear what I wanted to hear over what I needed to hear. I will retake in december, say I do get a 170 will I still be able to apply and get the $ for this cycle? Or will rolling admissions roll right over me. Thank you for the help btw.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

ftbchamp231 wrote:I guess I was hoping to hear what I wanted to hear over what I needed to hear. I will retake in december, say I do get a 170 will I still be able to apply and get the $ for this cycle? Or will rolling admissions roll right over me. Thank you for the help btw.

Yeah, if you get a 170, you'll still be in contention for good money this cycle, and you'll definitely get the admissions boost at all of the above. In general, numbers trump softs, though softs do have a relatively improved weight when talking money. A place like Northwestern might give it to you with the stipulation that you take a year off to work before matriculating.

Don't worry about rolling admissions. The early app boost is much reduced these days. If you get a 170, no one will care that it's coming in January.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:20 pm

cotiger wrote:
ftbchamp231 wrote:I guess I was hoping to hear what I wanted to hear over what I needed to hear. I will retake in december, say I do get a 170 will I still be able to apply and get the $ for this cycle? Or will rolling admissions roll right over me. Thank you for the help btw.

Yeah, if you get a 170, you'll still be in contention for good money this cycle, and you'll definitely get the admissions boost at all of the above. In general, numbers trump softs, though softs do have a relatively improved weight when talking money. A place like Northwestern might give it to you with the stipulation that you take a year off to work before matriculating.

Don't worry about rolling admissions. The early app boost is much reduced these days. If you get a 170, no one will care that it's coming in January.

Definitely this. Two more points in January will net you much more money than applying with a 168 now.

Return to “What are my chances?”