3.88 GPA/ 166 LSAT- "non-traditional"

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
becbaskin

3.88 GPA/ 166 LSAT- "non-traditional"

Postby becbaskin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:53 pm

A bit of a complicated story.

Originally from Canada, began undergrad in Colorado, moved to Israel after my first year, served in the military, went back to school at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (top university in the country).

In Colorado, I was pre-med (clearly not for me, in retrospect) which brought down my GPA significantly. Those marks are not a part of my transcript at Hebrew U, but are still used to calculate my "overall" GPA. With my Colorado marks, I have a 3.88. Without them, 4.0. (And of course I will explain all of this on my applications).

166 on my LSAT. Fairly disappointed because I was expecting a few points higher based on practice tests, but I knew that 170+ was not going to happen. I am not a great standardized test-taker. Not sure if it is worthwhile to redo for the possibility of a few points.

I served in a command position in the military, excelled in legal courses in my degree, have an interesting resume and good references, including one from the assistant dean of the law school here.

So--
1. Do I have a chance at T14? (even without $$)
2. Should I retake?

Lavitz

Re: 3.88 GPA/ 166 LSAT- "non-traditional"

Postby Lavitz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:30 am

I think you'll get more than one of the lower T-14. Best bets are Cornell, Michigan, NU and GULC.

Still think you should retake because:

And I wouldn't write a GPA addendum for a 3.88. You're still above the GPA medians for almost every school. Admissions officers will see that you started out as pre-med.

becbaskin

Postby becbaskin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks!

And how much can I expect the "soft" stuff to help me out?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:06 pm

becbaskin wrote:Thanks!

And how much can I expect the "soft" stuff to help me out?

Your softs will not help you beyond your numbers in any measurable way. When you say you were in the military you mean in Israel, correct?

becbaskin

Postby becbaskin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:27 pm

Indeed. I'm guessing this helps less?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:59 pm

becbaskin wrote:Indeed. I'm guessing this helps less?

Yes, I doubt it will help you then. I think retaking is the best choice. With a 170 CCN will be in reach.

becbaskin

Postby becbaskin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:16 pm

Okay, thanks very much!!

Or I could just do the smart Canadian thing and go to the University of Toronto :) I was expecting higher LSATs and thought that the very top would be in reach, also because I had been led to believe that "soft" credentials carry substantial weight. But if it's not to go to one of the very top schools, then there probably isn't any super-compelling reason to pay twice the price of a Canadian degree. And I don't think any schools are going to be offering me any substantial money unless I retake and do much better.

Decisions, decisions!

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 pm

As it stands you have a good chance at Cornell, Michigan, and GULC, and stand a good chance at getting money to Cornell. You may be right about the Canadian schools though.

Return to “What are my chances?”