162/3.6 - East Coat

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mach9zero

162/3.6 - East Coat

Postby mach9zero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 pm

151 (2010)/162 (Oct. 2013)
3.5 UGRAD/ 4.0 MASTERS (Poli Sci, Sec. Education)
Non-URM

Looking to stay East Coast with hopes of doing bigger law. Would go away to school, but want to work East Coast, primarily Philly market.

- Temple U.
- Rutgers U. - Camden
- Yeshiva U.
- U. Connecticut
- Penn State

Would prefer higher scholarship > bigger name, but it all means nothing if the job isn't there. Any other suggested schools would be a welcomed addition! Thanks

hephaestus

Re: 162/3.6 - East Coat

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Unfortunately the masters GPA will not do anything for you. Have you considered retaking?

mach9zero

Postby mach9zero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 pm

I have considered retaking, but I don't know how much higher I'd be able to pull it. How would a December retake impact my chances at admission?

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 pm

If you want to be in Philly, UConn and Yeshiva are out. Penn State is too expensive. It's then between Temple and Rutgers-Camden. You're only a resident of one of those states, though, so whichever one it is you should go there.

Hopefully you could live at home, whichever school you go to, because $150k debt at either is scary.

Edit: If east coast in general is of interest, you might consider Boston College. In that case, retaking for just a couple of points might be very helpful for a bit of money.
Last edited by cotiger on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mach9zero

Postby mach9zero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:41 pm

cotiger wrote:If you want to be in Philly, UConn and Yeshiva are out. Penn State is too expensive. It's then between Temple and Rutgers-Camden. You're only a resident of one of those states, though, so whichever one it is you should go there.

Hopefully you could live at home, whichever school you go to, because $150k debt at either is scary.

Edit: If east coast in general is of interest, you might consider Boston College.

Thanks for feedback,

I'm a NJ resident, so would lean towards Rutgers University - Camden. Both schools rank slightly higher than average employment, and the debt is definitely no joke.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:49 pm

mach9zero wrote:I have considered retaking, but I don't know how much higher I'd be able to pull it. How would a December retake impact my chances at admission?

Being even two or three points higher in December would be better than applying now.

mach9zero

Postby mach9zero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:52 pm

What's up with WVU? It's low ranked, but has a higher employment rating on LST Report.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 pm

mach9zero wrote:What's up with WVU? It's low ranked, but has a higher employment rating on LST Report.

WV economy is doing well with all the natural gas activity. But the state is very insular and not a good option unless you have substantial ties.

mach9zero

Postby mach9zero » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:11 am

ImNoScar wrote:
mach9zero wrote:What's up with WVU? It's low ranked, but has a higher employment rating on LST Report.

WV economy is doing well with all the natural gas activity. But the state is very insular and not a good option unless you have substantial ties.

Good to know, I could go WV for three years, but definitely not looking to stay for good. I think I will retake for the December round, I'm just nervous I'd be tossing away a quicker decision, with a possibility of getting a lower score.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:13 am

mach9zero wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

Good to know, I could go WV for three years, but definitely not looking to stay for good. I think I will retake for the December round, I'm just nervous I'd be tossing away a quicker decision, with a possibility of getting a lower score.

Yeah it's definitely not worth it unless you want to practice in WV. I understand you are nervous but with diligent prep much better schools can be in your reach.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:15 am

ImNoScar wrote:
mach9zero wrote:I have considered retaking, but I don't know how much higher I'd be able to pull it. How would a December retake impact my chances at admission?

Being even two or three points higher in December would be better than applying now.

I agree with this. OP, right now you have a chance at BC. Two more points and you'd be pretty much a lock. A 165 and BU would also come into play (note: BU is not actually a better school, just more difficult to get into). Each additional point also increases your money at these places. Not sure how money at Camden would be affected because you're already above 75th LSAT.

Even if you lean towards Camden, it's probably worth the retake/apps just to see how things shake out.

mach9zero

Postby mach9zero » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks for the assistance. I'm going to put in at Rutgers and Temple, since I'm already within the 75th and money doesn't change all that much, this way I'm in. I'll retake in December and work towards BC/BU - though having visited both I don't know how interested in BC I'd be.

Are there any other schools to look at, pending what you'd figure a 2 point bump.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 am

mach9zero wrote:Thanks for the assistance. I'm going to put in at Rutgers and Temple, since I'm already within the 75th and money doesn't change all that much, this way I'm in. I'll retake in December and work towards BC/BU - though having visited both I don't know how interested in BC I'd be.

Are there any other schools to look at, pending what you'd figure a 2 point bump.

Check out these three reports.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=rutgers-camden
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bc
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bu

See that "Large Firm Score" (plus federal clerkship rate)? Those are going to be the only jobs that allow you to pay off big-time debt. If you're taking out $200k for BC vs $150k for Camden, take BC/BU, regardless of how you feel about their campus. Really, at that point I wouldn't do either, but if you were absolutely deadset on going somewhere, BC/BU would be the smarter move.

If it's more like 200k for BC/BU vs 75k for Camden, that's when it starts to make more sense for Camden.

You'll also get in Fordham with a two point bump, which is on par with BC/BU as far as employment. However, it's crazy expensive and doesn't give out money. Better bet would be BC/BU.
Last edited by cotiger on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

fratstar1

Postby fratstar1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:18 am

Rutgers camden was giving out full rides like mad for certain gpa and lsat brackets, I got one with a 3.2 164 id be really surprised if you paid full frieght.

mach9zero

Postby mach9zero » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 am

fratstar1 wrote:Rutgers camden was giving out full rides like mad for certain gpa and lsat brackets, I got one with a 3.2 164 id be really surprised if you paid full frieght.

This right here, LSN is putting it at 100% admit with $30,000/yr (variance of $10k) which would cover tuition entirely. No matter where I went, I'm not going for $200k, there's no way I'd take that burden on - even if it was BC or Fordham. I'd have to start looking at alternative careers.

Check out these three reports.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=rutgers-camden
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bc
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bu

See that "Large Firm Score" (plus federal clerkship rate)? Those are going to be the only jobs that allow you to pay off big-time debt. If you're taking out $200k for BC vs $150k for Camden, take BC/BU, regardless of how you feel about their campus. Really, at that point I wouldn't do either, but if you were absolutely deadset on going somewhere, BC/BU would be the smarter move.

If it's more like 200k for BC/BU vs 75k for Camden, that's when it starts to make more sense for Camden.

You'll also get in Fordham with a two point bump, which is on par with BC/BU as far as employment. However, it's crazy expensive and doesn't give out money. Better bet would be BC/BU.

I appreciate the alternatives, and definitely want all the information and help I can get from you guys. I'll keep both schools in mind, and of course I'd still take BC for the right price. TLS has been an eye opener for law school, scary definitely scary, and explains why I postponed attending for 2 years after undergrad. I feel in a much better position to attend, but I could never pay full price.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 am

fratstar1 wrote:Rutgers camden was giving out full rides like mad for certain gpa and lsat brackets, I got one with a 3.2 164 id be really surprised if you paid full frieght.

If you get a full-ride, then for sure go to Camden.

mach9zero wrote:This right here, LSN is putting it at 100% admit with $30,000/yr (variance of $10k) which would cover tuition entirely. No matter where I went, I'm not going for $200k, there's no way I'd take that burden on - even if it was BC or Fordham. I'd have to start looking at alternative careers.

Those are three-year totals for scholarships. With a 30k scholarship and full cost of living (ie no living with parents), you're still looking at ~115k of debt for Camden.

nick417

Postby nick417 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Just some advice if $$$ is your concern:

Rutgers allows anyone who moves to NJ to automatically get in-state tuition. The only suckers who pay out-of-state at Rutgers are people who decide to live in Philly for some reason OR are morons. Therefore, Rutgers tuition is about $24K/year.

Return to “What are my chances?”