3.57/168, where do I stand?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Curry30

3.57/168, where do I stand?

Postby Curry30 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:41 pm

3.57 LSAC GPA at a large public school (in the top 50 USNWR)
First LSAT: 165
Second LSAT: 168 (closer to my PT's)
Solid (but nothing mind-blowing) softs and recommendations

UVA
Penn
Michigan
Northwestern
Georgetown
Cornell
UCLA
USC
GWU
U of Wash

I know that UVA, Penn and Michigan are reaches. I'm really hoping for Georgetown, Northwestern or UCLA. Do you guys think I could get into any of those three without a retake?

hephaestus

Re: 3.57/168, where do I stand?

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 am

Potentially Georgetown or Cornell. I doubt you would get NU at your
Current numbers. Why is UCLA on your top list and not cornell?

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:24 am

Curry30

Postby Curry30 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:49 pm

ImNoScar, I'm not in love with Cornell's location but if I didn't get into Georgetown then I could choose Cornell over UCLA because of ranking. I would be ecstatic with getting into one of Cornell or GULC, but I'm nervous because it seems like I'm right on the cusp. Maybe I should throw apps at Vandy and UT Austin?

Do you think I'm a lock for UCLA? I saw the mylsn chart but that looks like it's based off a really small sample size.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Curry30 wrote:ImNoScar, I'm not in love with Cornell's location but if I didn't get into Georgetown then I could choose Cornell over UCLA because of ranking. I would be ecstatic with getting into one of Cornell or GULC, but I'm nervous because it seems like I'm right on the cusp. Maybe I should throw apps at Vandy and UT Austin?

Do you think I'm a lock for UCLA? I saw the mylsn chart but that looks like it's based off a really small sample size.

Ranking isnt the issue. Its job prospects. Cornell nearly doubles your shot at well paying or prestigious FT/JD employment relative to UCLA, even in years where they are 1-2 places apart in USNWR

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:31 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Curry30 wrote:ImNoScar, I'm not in love with Cornell's location but if I didn't get into Georgetown then I could choose Cornell over UCLA because of ranking. I would be ecstatic with getting into one of Cornell or GULC, but I'm nervous because it seems like I'm right on the cusp. Maybe I should throw apps at Vandy and UT Austin?

Ranking isnt the issue. Its job prospects. Cornell nearly doubles your shot at well paying or prestigious FT/JD employment relative to UCLA, even in years where they are 1-2 places apart in USNWR

+1
You should tolerate a different location for three years because it could be the difference from a good job out of law school and a bad one. I would shoot for the lower T14 over UCLA.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Cornell added ED this year, right? I'd be surprised if you don't cop Cornell with ED. Still, I'd retake with your numbers. 3 points gives you a great shot at NMVP

Curry30

Postby Curry30 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:24 pm

Good points. Now that I think about it, if Cornell is the only T14 I get into then I will very likely go there. Where are you getting the info on the relative law school job prospects?

If I'm going to ED I would probably rather go to Georgetown than Cornell. Do you think Georgetown ED would give me a better shot than RD? I'm guessing I wouldn't be getting money from either of them anyway. Or maybe I should just stick to RD and hope to get into one?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Curry30 wrote:Good points. Now that I think about it, if Cornell is the only T14 I get into then I will very likely go there. Where are you getting the info on the relative law school job prospects?

If I'm going to ED I would probably rather go to Georgetown than Cornell. Do you think Georgetown ED would give me a better shot than RD? I'm guessing I wouldn't be getting money from either of them anyway. Or maybe I should just stick to RD and hope to get into one?

Look at Law School Transparency. You will notice a cavernous difference in the large firm placement between Cornell and UCLA. And Georgetown may be tempting, but Cornell actually offers significantly better employment opportunities. I would not ED Georgetown, but rather apply RD to the entire lower T14 and see what happens.

Return to “What are my chances?”