3.52/171 Should I retake for Columbia?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
afcart

3.52/171 Should I retake for Columbia?

Postby afcart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a 3.52 Mechanical Engineering major (Asian male, surprise surprise) from USC (Southern California). I took the LSAT for the first time in October and got a 171. I'm wondering if I should consider a retake because I really wanted a 173 to up my chances for Columbia. My softs are ok, not enough to have a significant impact. I spent a summer at a large Asian American non-profit legal center in LA, and the past summer as a patent examiner intern at the US Patent and Trademarks Office.

My prospective list of schools so far is:
1. Columbia
2. NYU
3. Chicago
4. Berkeley
5. U Penn
6. GWU
7. UVA
8. U Mich
9. USC/UCLA

Do you think ED would help my chances at Columbia? Aside from retaking, I feel like it's the only way I can make up for my lower GPA. I've plugged in my numbers into all the admissions graphs and the results are disappointing.

Thanks for the input!
Last edited by afcart on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kellanj

Re: 3.52/171 Should I retake for Columbia?

Postby Kellanj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Probably not going to get into Columbia with those numbers. However, like you said if you can get a 173 you boost your chances quiet a bit. Did you use lsatqa when your preparing for your first LSAT? What was the average test score for your last 10 PT's? If you've consistently scored around 173 and you think that you either underperformed on test day or could have studied more then you could go for it.

Of course with your numbers right now, if you ED to NYU you will most likely be a lock. NYU's employment stats are super comparable to Columbia so I don't know if I would waste all that time just to retake and get into essentially a peer school of NYU, when you could get into NYU right now.

So really it just boils down to why do you want to go to Columbia so bad? And are your reasons worth the extra time and money it would take for you to retake? Personally I would say they're probably not.

afcart

Postby afcart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback! To be honest I didn't even know about tls until a fellow test taker told me about it so I'm still learning about all of the stats and factors. I was scoring 170-174 on my PTs, and I feel like nerves hit me a bit on test day. What exactly is lsatqa? I picked up the LR and Games bibles, and prepared mostly by doing previous tests.

I really wanted to go to Columbia for undergrad, but I was a splitter in high school too, so I guess it's just always been kind of a dream for me. Now that I type it out it seems a little irrational. I always thought Columbia was a better school, but I'll definitely take a second look at the employment stats.

Thank you again for your advice and help.
Last edited by afcart on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kellanj

Postby Kellanj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:29 pm

lsatqa.com is a website that tracks your LSAT statistics. So basically you log on, input the answers from the PT's that you're taking, and then it tracks your trends over time. It's helpful because it lets you see what you need to work on most.

I totally hear you on Columbia. I'm a 173 / 3.4 considering EDing to Columbia, definitely would be a dream come true for me!

But ya if you haven't heard of Lawschooltransparency.com go onto that website. They analyze employment outcomes for all the law schools. You'll see that Columbia is slightly better for getting into Biglaw, but NYU has an advantage for PI work. Pretty much if you do well at either school you'll get the job that you want.

afcart

Postby afcart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:39 pm

If only we could combine our LSAT/GPAs...best of luck comrade.

Kellanj

Postby Kellanj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Haha would be nice! Likewise, my friend.

Return to “What are my chances?”