URM 3.9, 156 hopeless? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
anchored

New

URM 3.9, 156 hopeless?

Post by anchored » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:12 pm

I am a PR female with 3.9 GPA and took my lsat (1st time in oct) and got a 156 (tested at mid 160s).

I am unsure about softs: studied abroad in China (learning Chinese), competitive academic/leadership society w/early graduation, community service w/ youth.

I reallllllly want to go to WashU(MO) but am unsure how much of a difference it would make ( how high I could get my score in for December). I need advice. What can I do to offset this low LSAT or is retaking the only way I can get in for next year? I am from the area and want to go back after undergrad. I am feeling really bummed.

I thank you for your help.

Dr. Review

Gold

Re: URM 3.9, 156 hopeless?

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Admittedly, I am not very knowledgable about URM applications, but if you were testing in the mid 160s, have you considered re-taking? Even if you end up at WUSTL either way, the higher LSAT is going to make it easier for you to negotiate $$.

Again, I don't know a lot about URM boosts, but with that GPA as a PR female, your LSAT is the only thing between you and pretty much any school out there.

For example, a 163 (around your PT highs) you are looking at something like this:

With a 165, HYS is VERY attainable.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:24 pm

Bedsole wrote:Admittedly, I am not very knowledgable about URM applications, but if you were testing in the mid 160s, have you considered re-taking? Even if you end up at WUSTL either way, the higher LSAT is going to make it easier for you to negotiate $$.

Again, I don't know a lot about URM boosts, but with that GPA as a PR female, your LSAT is the only thing between you and pretty much any school out there.

For example, a 163 (around your PT highs) you are looking at something like this:

With a 165, HYS is VERY attainable.

The above graphs include AA, so as a PR female your chances are actually lower. The best I can tell you is to retake.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:28 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:The above graphs include AA, so as a PR female your chances are actually lower. The best I can tell you is to retake.
Good catch. Even adjusting for that, we see that a 165 is in decent shape for HYS. In other words... if you think you can hit mid 160s, a retake is the best course of action.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:33 pm

If you really want to be in the STL area, either go to WUSTL on a full ride (who are LSAT whores and do not really care about URM boosts), or don't go to law school at all.

If you must be in school for the next 3+ years for some reason, do a Ph.D. Or better yet, get a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”