3.33/175 ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Zebulun

3.33/175 ED?

Postby Zebulun » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Just got my October scores. I did undergrad at Columbia with 3.0ish gpa Freshman and Sophomore Year. I went to one of the bottom schools in my state in an extremely rural area, so I'm hoping that can help with Freshman year grades, and Sophomore year I was part of the ROTC--except Columbia didn't recognize it, so I 4 times a week I had to take a 45 minute train ride, and I missed several several quizzes because of train delays. So, another average explanation I guess? I earned 4.0 my final three semesters. Standard softs, (hopefully) above average personal statement, and excellent letters of rec.

Right now, I'm applying for all the t14, hoping for Columbia or UChicago. I'm going to apply to YHS, because heck, you never know.

Question is, should I apply ED to Columbia or UChicago? If not, then should I apply ED somewhere else? I know my numbers are a bit difficult to work with, but any suggestions/thoughts on my chances would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 3.33/175 ED?

Postby 31415926 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 am

The explanation for your grades is pretty average, possibly even below. I don't know that I would include that in an addendum - if you have a strong upward trend, that speaks for itself. That being said, it's not going to matter much in the end - you still have a 3.3.

If what you really want is Columbia or Chicago, I would ED to Chicago. Columbia has a pretty hard floor. Chicago is much more flexible.

Be aware that it is possible, should you miss out on your ED, that you could be facing a lot of WLs from the rest of the T10. So if you would strongly prefer one of MVP over, say, Cornell/Georgetown, you might consider saving your ED for one of those schools (I think Penn has a late ED program available now too, so you could maybe do that if Chicago doesn't work out). With numbers like these, it's kind of a gamble sometimes.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:39 am

Here is an analysis of the effect of ED: http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... op-14.html

EDing Columbia will not help. EDing Chicago may.

You have a good chance at NYU, and are possible at Columbia RD.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:12 am

31415926 wrote:The explanation for your grades is pretty average, possibly even below. I don't know that I would include that in an addendum - if you have a strong upward trend, that speaks for itself. That being said, it's not going to matter much in the end - you still have a 3.3.

If what you really want is Columbia or Chicago, I would ED to Chicago. Columbia has a pretty hard floor. Chicago is much more flexible.

Be aware that it is possible, should you miss out on your ED, that you could be facing a lot of WLs from the rest of the T10. So if you would strongly prefer one of MVP over, say, Cornell/Georgetown, you might consider saving your ED for one of those schools (I think Penn has a late ED program available now too, so you could maybe do that if Chicago doesn't work out). With numbers like these, it's kind of a gamble sometimes.

I think this is pretty good analysis but I don't know that he's under any kind of GPA floor at Columbia, and to the extent there might be a floor near his GPA it's been coming down rapidly over the last few years. Regardless I'm not a fan of ED anywhere so I'd play it straght.

Zebulun

Postby Zebulun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm a little of any ED because of the whole, "Stuck with the financial aid they give you" bit. I was averaging 178 on PTs 59-69, with a 174 being the lowest I scored, so would it make any sense for me to retake in December? Would a bump in December be incentive for any schools to reconsider me?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:50 pm

Zebulun wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm a little of any ED because of the whole, "Stuck with the financial aid they give you" bit. I was averaging 178 on PTs 59-69, with a 174 being the lowest I scored, so would it make any sense for me to retake in December? Would a bump in December be incentive for any schools to reconsider me?

Since you are at or above the 75ths at CCN, I don't see retaking helping you in any measurable way. I would apply RD to CCN and the lower T14.

Return to “What are my chances?”