Where to Apply? 3.49/168

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Chriz

Where to Apply? 3.49/168

Postby Chriz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:40 pm

For starters, I am from Wisconsin. My dream would be to get a full ride to UW but given the fact that my numbers aren't as great as I hoped they would be and I have heard that UW doesn't give out a lot of money I doubt this is a possibility. I will probably retake in December but I spent the last 6 months working only part-time to focus solely on the LSAT and my PT average was around 170 so while I might be able to do better I am not betting on it. I am going to apply to UW but I do not know where else I should apply. I want to continue to live in the midwest and I was planning on applying to Michigan, Northwestern, WUSTL and Minnesota but I am not so sure if I wouldn't be wasting my time with the top 14 with such low numbers. I was so sure that I scored over 170... This was a huge letdown but I feel like I might have pretty much peaked. Any advice on where I should look to apply? Thanks.

Chriz

Re: Where to Apply? 3.49/168

Postby Chriz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:01 am

I am wondering if a retake is really worth it in my case. If I do a little better which is much more likely than doing a lot better then my best options will be T14 at sticker. At this point, I am above median at most of the schools (WUSTL, MN, WI, IA) in the midwest that I am considering. Should I just try to go to one of them at a deep discount and not take on all the debt?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:07 am

You stand to get a lot from WUSTL, and it may end up being your best choice. I don't know how much retaking would help, except it would significantly increase your odds at the t14. However, since your goals seems to be elsewhere, I think I would apply to the schools you listed and go to whichever of Wisconsin/WUSTL/Minn/Iowa gives the most money.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:15 am

Yeah that is the conclusion that I have been coming to as well. I figure if I take the test again I am adding just a month of studying onto what was a 6 months journey to get from 160-168 and for it to really help change my situation I would need to be looking at a huge score boost. If I gained just a few points into the 169-171 range I would obviously be looking at only adding a few T14 options and all at sticker. I don't want to go to a top school since it would lock me into needing a top job just to pay for it. I also want to live in the midwest after school and thought obviously going to a top school would still allow me to do this, it would be at a much greater price then a school in the midwest. I have a week to decide whether to sign up to retake or not. I am leaning towards not because of the huge jump I would need to really change my situation. I feel like if I had a 3.6-3.8 it would be a lot more worth it to retake but my 3.49 limits me so much that I think it would not be a great return on my effort to retake.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:38 pm

So I applied to UW, Minn, Iowa, Wustl, and Northwestern... I have an app to Notre Dame filled out but I am not going to send it without a fee waiver. Any other places I should consider applying?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 am

Chriz wrote:So I applied to UW, Minn, Iowa, Wustl, and Northwestern... I have an app to Notre Dame filled out but I am not going to send it without a fee waiver. Any other places I should consider applying?

Apply to Michigan (they may decide they need 168s), University of Illinois, and IU-Bloomington (but only if you get fee waivers & attend these on full rides). Also Georgetown has some chance of getting you back to some firms in the midwest and its possible for you with a 168. I would apply to Cornell too in case you changed your mind and wanted a shot at large firm work, but thats just me.

If your LSAT was higher id say Penn and UChi also, but theres rly no point with your current numbers.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:16 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Chriz wrote:So I applied to UW, Minn, Iowa, Wustl, and Northwestern... I have an app to Notre Dame filled out but I am not going to send it without a fee waiver. Any other places I should consider applying?

Apply to Michigan (they may decide they need 168s), University of Illinois, and IU-Bloomington (but only if you get fee waivers & attend these on full rides). Also Georgetown has some chance of getting you back to some firms in the midwest and its possible for you with a 168. I would apply to Cornell too in case you changed your mind and wanted a shot at large firm work, but thats just me.

If your LSAT was higher id say Penn and UChi also, but theres rly no point with your current numbers.

I appreciate the reply... I had literally just given up on applying to Cornell, Michigan, and Georgetown because obviously they will be at sticker for me. I only applied at Northwestern because they had a fee waiver on their website and I figured I would just go for it. I considered applying to Cornell out of those 3 because Michigan seems like a longer shot than Cornell and I did want to try to get in at a T14 in case I don't get a scholarship that is worth the lower chances of a job from the regional schools. I was also leaving Georgetown out because it sounds like the outcomes are not quite as good as the rest of the T14 but the cost for me would still be similarly high.

I just wonder if it is worth ~$200 to apply to Michigan and Cornell... Could I really get into them? No softs at all pretty much.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 am

Michigan and Cornell should give it up for a 168. I would try and hit them up for a fee waiver and if they give you one then go ahead and apply and see what happens

Although if you're really debt conscious I would probably just hit up the WUSTL fully and call it a cycle. Minnesota could maybe be an option but their employment stats are pretty meh

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:19 am

How far does Wustl's region expand? Would I be able to easily get a job in Wisconsin after graduation? I mean relative to how well I could get a job from UW?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 am

According to LST the schools are pretty comparable except for the fact that WUSTL does a much better job placing people into high paying jobs. I was kind of thinking they WUSTL would be cheaper given how you characterized Wisconsin's scholarship stinginess but I guess if it was comparable I would be inclined to go to UW if I were Wisconsin or bust.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 am

I am still trying to figure out exactly what I want and it will pry be a while before acceptances start coming in and even longer before scholarship information so I have some time to figure some stuff out. Does Michigan have any advantage over Cornell in the midwest? I really think I can only afford to apply to one but I think it is important to try to have a T14 option in case I decide that's the route I want to go.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:08 am

I would definitely go to Michigan over Cornell if the Midwest were my end goal and all else was equal.

You're not going to ask them both for fee waivers?

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:I would definitely go to Michigan over Cornell if the Midwest were my end goal and all else was equal.

Do you really think I could get one with my numbers? I am skeptical that I could even get in if I applied.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Chriz wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I would definitely go to Michigan over Cornell if the Midwest were my end goal and all else was equal.

Do you really think I could get one with my numbers? I am skeptical that I could even get in if I applied.

You can choose to be paralyzed by your personal situation, or you can ask for a waiver and/or apply and see what happens

Check mylsn.info if you want to assess your chances

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 pm

My chances seems slim to none based on past years but I wonder with applications dropping if my odds go up enough to have a shot. Cornell said they do their fee waivers through crs. Any chance they will send one even with my low numbers?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Chriz wrote:My chances seems slim to none based on past years but I wonder with applications dropping if my odds go up enough to have a shot. Cornell said they do their fee waivers through crs. Any chance they will send one even with my low numbers?

As Zuck said, you've gotta ask to know for sure!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:50 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Chriz wrote:My chances seems slim to none based on past years but I wonder with applications dropping if my odds go up enough to have a shot. Cornell said they do their fee waivers through crs. Any chance they will send one even with my low numbers?

As Zuck said, you've gotta ask to know for sure!

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
-BigZuck

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:41 pm

I asked and they said I need to wait to see through CRS... I was just wondering if anyone thought that I would get it through CRS?

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:33 pm

So I was rejected for a merit and need based fee waiver at Cornell. Do I stand a high enough chance of getting in to spend over $100 on the application?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Chriz wrote:So I was rejected for a merit and need based fee waiver at Cornell. Do I stand a high enough chance of getting in to spend over $100 on the application?

http://www.mylsn.info

Return to “What are my chances?”