low LSAT high GPA, chances at U of Wisconsin - Madison Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MagicBus92

New

low LSAT high GPA, chances at U of Wisconsin - Madison

Post by MagicBus92 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:29 pm

I have a 3.6 GPA but a 152 LSAT. I'd like to go to U of Wisconsin - Madison

I wrote an addendum about my LSAT.
Last edited by MagicBus92 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

sasquatchsam

Bronze

Re: low LSAT high GPA, chances at U of Wisconsin - Madison

Post by sasquatchsam » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:51 pm

How much studying did you do before taking the LSAT? If nothing else you need to take it twice more before applying. Make sure you study like it is your job because you will get more money for a 170+ than I make in three years.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:00 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wisconsin

You're barely above the 2012 median for GPA, and you're almost 10 points below median for the LSAT. If they even let you in (which is a big if) you're going to be paying sticker. As a resident, that comes out to about 140k debt, for a 10% chance of getting a job decent enough to service that debt.

Furthermore, law school is entirely based on "standardized tests." You get a final examination at the end of each class which is curved against everyone else taking the same test. If you think the ACT and the LSAT were stressful and hard, law school exams are going to be exponentially harder.

I'm being sort of brutal with you because it's more important that you understand what you're getting yourself into than that you feel good about things. You're a big kid and you can definitely take it, especially when it means not dooming yourself to indentured servitude through student debt.

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:47 pm

I was rejected 2 years in a row with a 160/3.49... I spent 6 months studying for the LSAT I now have a 168/3.49 and will only go to UW if they give me some money on top of my in-state tuition. I would seriously consider retaking. I have been pretty deadset on UW and it sucked having to wait 2 years but if I pay in-state with a some money off it will have been more than worth it.

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 pm

I was an in-state applicant with a 3.6/159 a couple years ago and was rejected, but I also applied pretty late in the cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MagicBus92

New

Post by MagicBus92 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:28 am

Well I've debated coming back and leaving a comment for quite awhile now and I've decided to do it because it could make a difference for some. I know I did a lot of searching through these forums while looking for signs of hope when it came time to apply to Madison, maybe someone else will come by this post while searching and get that extra inspiration they need.

I applied with a 3.6 and a 152 and not only was I admitted but my softs were so strong I'll be going to Madison on scholarship. To anyone out there who's worried about his or her chances because of one bad characteristic of their app, no matter how critical it that characteristic is, working on those softs DOES make a difference.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Declining apps.

Retaking lsat is a better bet in most cases.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:20 pm

MagicBus92 wrote: I applied with a 3.6 and a 152 and not only was I admitted but my softs were so strong I'll be going to Madison on scholarship. To anyone out there who's worried about his or her chances because of one bad characteristic of their app, no matter how critical it that characteristic is, working on those softs DOES make a difference.
it was very unlikely youd be admitted. Everyone with a 15X LSAT should retake.

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:45 pm

MagicBus92 wrote:Well I've debated coming back and leaving a comment for quite awhile now and I've decided to do it because it could make a difference for some. I know I did a lot of searching through these forums while looking for signs of hope when it came time to apply to Madison, maybe someone else will come by this post while searching and get that extra inspiration they need.

I applied with a 3.6 and a 152 and not only was I admitted but my softs were so strong I'll be going to Madison on scholarship. To anyone out there who's worried about his or her chances because of one bad characteristic of their app, no matter how critical it that characteristic is, working on those softs DOES make a difference.
What were those amazing softs that made such a difference? And how much was the scholarship? Full ride and 1k off a year are a lot different.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Are you a URM?

MagicBus92

New

Post by MagicBus92 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:58 am

@unodostres @Nova: I agree.

@Chriz: It's more than 1K a year but not a full ride (the letter asked not to reveal the amount). Softs include a very good resume, a very well thought out personal statement, a logically constructed LSAT addendum and very good letters of rec.

@TheSpanishMan: I'm not a URM

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:54 pm

MagicBus92 wrote:@unodostres @Nova: I agree.

@Chriz: It's more than 1K a year but not a full ride (the letter asked not to reveal the amount). Softs include a very good resume, a very well thought out personal statement, a logically constructed LSAT addendum and very good letters of rec.

Not reveal the amount? I've never heard of a school saying that.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm calling troll on the follow up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:36 pm

cron1834 wrote:I'm calling troll on the follow up.
Likewise. It's a super stingy school with money. There's zero reason they would give money (more than 1k).

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:10 pm

I have heard they are stingy too but I received a scholarship. I can't disclose the amount
Though do to the super binding and important clause they have where you can't tell anyone your amount.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:32 pm

sublime wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:
MagicBus92 wrote:@unodostres @Nova: I agree.

Not reveal the amount? I've never heard of a school saying that.

Notre Dame on the phone asked me not to mention it after an unsolicited bump.

That was before they tried to tell me to consider South Bend's COL when I had like $30k more at WUSTL. :lol:

ETA: I did tell people though, fwiw.
I think they are just trying to prevent the rioting that occurs when people find out they should have negotiated instead of taking the first offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”