AA Male T6 Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Yeezus.

AA Male T6 Chances

Postby Yeezus. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Last edited by Yeezus. on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mojosodope

Re: AA Male T6 Chances

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Yeezus. wrote:Longtime lurker here. Decided to make this thread in order to resolve some lingering questions I have. I am an AA male who will graduate with a 3.75 LSAC GPA and a 164 LSAT. However, there are some negatives when it comes to my application, namely "W's." My freshman year, like many of ours, was horrible, but I was able to get retroactively withdrawn from some courses for which I received non-punitive "W's." I also have a petty theft violation (reduced from a Class C Misdemeanor to a violation) 5 years ago at age 18. Since my freshman year my cumulative GPA has been around 3.9.

My question is: What are my chances, if any, for the T6 given my spotty academic record freshman year (around 10 W's) and my isolated petty theft violation?

Thank you so much for any insight you can give me :wink:

Edit: I have no exceptional softs to speak of. I only have a few internships, tutoring jobs, and school organizations and my school is unranked.

Should have a good chance everywhere from H/S down.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Yeezus. wrote:Longtime lurker here. Decided to make this thread in order to resolve some lingering questions I have. I am an AA male who will graduate with a 3.75 LSAC GPA and a 164 LSAT. However, there are some negatives when it comes to my application, namely "W's." My freshman year, like many of ours, was horrible, but I was able to get retroactively withdrawn from some courses for which I received non-punitive "W's." I also have a petty theft violation (reduced from a Class C Misdemeanor to a violation) 5 years ago at age 18. Since my freshman year my cumulative GPA has been around 3.9.

My question is: What are my chances, if any, for the T6 given my spotty academic record freshman year (around 10 W's) and my isolated petty theft violation?

Thank you so much for any insight you can give me :wink:

Edit: I have no exceptional softs to speak of. I only have a few internships, tutoring jobs, and school organizations and my school is unranked.

Don't double post

Yeezus.

Postby Yeezus. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:39 pm

Mojosodope wrote:Don't double post

Sorry about that, I did not know the rules.

Can I go by this data with my circumstances though? I am sure all these people did not have almost 10 W's and a criminal violation.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 pm

If this thread looks odd, it's because I merged the duplicates. Only one thread per topic, please.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Yeezus. wrote:

Can I go by this data with my circumstances though? I am sure all these people did not have almost 10 W's and a criminal violation.

The theft will hurt you more the the 10 W's.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If this thread looks odd, it's because I merged the duplicates. Only one thread per topic, please.

Holy shit, that blew my mind for like 5 mins

Yeezus.

Postby Yeezus. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:45 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
Yeezus. wrote:

Do you have any idea what impact it will have? It was 5 years old and I took the fall for a friend of mine with priors :| I know, stuipid...

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Yeezus. wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Yeezus. wrote:

Do you have any idea what impact it will have? It was 5 years old and I took the fall for a friend of mine with priors :| I know, stuipid...

No idea how bad it will hurt, but theft is something that is specifically frowned upon. It being 5 years old helps though

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:42 am

Yeezus. wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:The theft will hurt you more the the 10 W's.

Whatever you do, don't make it sound like you're trying to pass the blame in your C&F addendum. Adcoms hate that. Take responsibility for what happened and show them that that type of behavior is not an issue for you anymore.

From listening to adcoms, it seems like so long as there are no red flags in the addendum ("It's not my fault!"), an isolated incident several years prior is not a big deal.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:28 am

Enjoy Harvard

Yeezus.

Postby Yeezus. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:13 pm

nebula666 wrote:Enjoy Harvard

Is this serious? Most URM's I see who get into Harvard with a sub 3.8 have 165+ LSATs.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:33 pm

A petty theft hit five years ago? Disclose it, briefly mention that the experience changed you for the better, and don't steal anything while in law school.

I'd retake. You'll probably get into several T6 schools, but with your GPA, you'd have a decent shot at the CCN full rides. How does December look for you?

EDIT>
my school is unranked.

Based on personal experience, this will hurt you a little.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 am

twentypercentmore wrote:A petty theft hit five years ago? Disclose it, briefly mention that the experience changed you for the better, and don't steal anything while in law school.

I'd retake. You'll probably get into several T6 schools, but with your GPA, you'd have a decent shot at the CCN full rides. How does December look for you?

EDIT>
my school is unranked.

But your experience was because your school didn't give out GPA's right?

At least he has that going for him.

I think the only thing that might keep you out of Harvard is the petty theft

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Theft, Ws, low LSAT, unknown UG and few softs to compensate - no Harvard here guys, maybe a little struggle at Columbia too (but probably in at CLS).

3.75/164 AA - still a great cycle with most T14 acceptances

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:A petty theft hit five years ago? Disclose it, briefly mention that the experience changed you for the better, and don't steal anything while in law school.

EDIT>
my school is unranked.

But your experience was because your school didn't give out GPA's right?

Yes, and that hurts me even more, but once you get into the HYS (and for some reason, Columbia) region, they do start caring about undergrad. Most of the time it neither hurts nor helps, but an unranked undergrad will hurt you about as much as an HYPS would have helped you.

Return to “What are my chances?”