Non Trad for H?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bouleversement

Re: Non Trad for H?

Postby bouleversement » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:30 pm

wiz wrote:
bouleversement wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Harvard's floor is 3.5

Yesterday perhaps. Tomorrow, who can really say?

Harvard's floor was a 3.7 yesterday. It's somewhere in the 3.5 to 3.6 range today. It won't be 2.7 tomorrow.

We really don't know what Harvard's floor is since they do not release a full GPA spread. I know Yale has gone below 3.50. I feel confident in guessing Harvard as well.

wiz

Postby wiz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 pm

bouleversement wrote:
wiz wrote:
bouleversement wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Harvard's floor is 3.5

Yesterday perhaps. Tomorrow, who can really say?

Harvard's floor was a 3.7 yesterday. It's somewhere in the 3.5 to 3.6 range today. It won't be 2.7 tomorrow.

We really don't know what Harvard's floor is since they do not release a full GPA spread. I know Yale has gone below 3.50. I feel confident in guessing Harvard as well.

Yeah, Yale's lowest accepted GPA was a 3.13. I wouldn't call that their floor though. It's a little crazy to say Y has a floor at or below 3.50. For a vanilla applicant who didn't cure cancer or win gold at the Olympics, they won't be dipping that low anytime soon.

From law school numbers, we can say Harvard had a GPA floor of around 3.7 in the past and perhaps has a floor of 3.5 or 3.6 right now.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Three years ago Yale went as low as 3.41, two years ago it was 3.61, last year it was 3.13.

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:38 pm

wiz wrote:
bouleversement wrote:

Yeah, Yale's lowest accepted GPA was a 3.13. I wouldn't call that their floor though. It's a little crazy to say Y has a floor at or below 3.50. For a vanilla applicant who didn't cure cancer or win gold at the Olympics, they won't be dipping that low anytime soon.

From law school numbers, we can say Harvard had a GPA floor of around 3.7 in the past and perhaps has a floor of 3.5 or 3.6 right now.

LSN skews toward the more-qualified applicants.

We know Yale's lowest outlier. We do not know how many, if any, people are between that data point and what one would traditionally define as a "floor" à la LSN. If anything, Yale has less flexibility than Harvard in accepting such GPAs given the disparity in class size.

I do not find it such a stretch to envision 1-3 acceptances, maybe more in a given year (constrained by absolute numbers), in the 178-180/3.4-3.5 range at HLS.

wiz

Postby wiz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:56 pm

bouleversement wrote:
wiz wrote:
bouleversement wrote:

LSN skews toward the more-qualified applicants.

We know Yale's lowest outlier. We do not know how many, if any, people are between that data point and what one would traditionally define as a "floor" à la LSN. If anything, Yale has less flexibility than Harvard in accepting such GPAs given the disparity in class size.

I do not find it such a stretch to envision 1-3 acceptances, maybe more in a given year (constrained by absolute numbers), in the 178-180/3.4-3.5 range at HLS.

I don't disagree with anything you said, and I'm definitely not saying that Harvard has a lower GPA floor than Yale. I think, however, we might have different definitions of what constitutes a floor.

Two years ago, 178/3.5 was virtually DOA at H. Now, with the drop in applicants, someone with those numbers might have a fighting chance. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of 3+ acceptances from applicants in the 178-180/3.4-3.5 range at HLS, nor would I be surprised to hear of 1-3 acceptances for sub-3.7s in past cycles, even when the floor was still effectively a 3.7. There are very few applicants with a 178+ LSAT, and people with those numbers should of course apply to YHS. But I wouldn't get my hopes up about being that special snowflake acceptance (at least, not until the data shows the floor has shifted that low).

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:26 pm

thewaves wrote:The bigger question is, why do you want a law degree? You seem like a degree shopper. This is $250k of debt.

+1. MA, PhD, MBA??? I suppose you have a chance at any T14 if you truly are that special snowflake and can make all of that stuff you mentioned actually form a cohesive package. But you sound all over the place. Yikes.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:20 pm

A discussion of H's GPA floor seems particularly irrelevant in this thread. Is there any evidence H has ever gone below 3.0? Keep in mind OP has a 2.7.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:20 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:59 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:21 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
thewaves wrote:The bigger question is, why do you want a law degree? You seem like a degree shopper.

http://www.bgdlegal.com/professionals/9 ... -l.-brown/

I'm not sure if that's insanely awesome or slightly terrifying.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:16 pm

What is it you actually want to do, career wise? Are you from a wealthy family that is willing to foot the bill for you to endlessly pursue graduate degrees? If I were on an admissions committee, my first thought would be "This guy has no idea what he actually wants to do professionally."

Also, as others have said, the Senator thing is probably not all that impressive. I suppose it would be if the Senator in question was someone you'd worked closely with and wrote a detailed, unique letter explaining all the cool stuff you did. If it's just a sort of pro forma thing that an aide drafted like, "Applicant X interned in my office from x date to x date. He's hard working, intelligent, and an all around cool dude. Signed, Senator Rufus T. Firefly." then it's really not going to do much. Admissions officers probably see a LOT of those.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
thewaves wrote:The bigger question is, why do you want a law degree? You seem like a degree shopper.

Why would you link my profile on tls!! :x

sancho

Postby sancho » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:55 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:

:lol:

How did you find that guy?

Postby 04102014 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:02 pm

I <3 kappycaft1 so much

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:15 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:

Not a lawyer, but this guy was a professor of mine in college. His list is a little more stacked in terms of preftige.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Bolger

Per the wikipedia, he did begin law school at Yale, at age 20 no less, but decided not to finish. He's a really cool guy.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:

Woah.

9...degrees...

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:22 pm

IAFG wrote:Yeah those aren't the panty-dropping softs the people around you believe them to be. Congress writes a lot of LORs.

In fact, they write so many that I didn't even use the one I got for working for my Senator because I figured such letters are so run-of-the-mill at HYS as to be passe.

But seriously OP, unless you can retroactively withdraw from those classes, that GPA is going to leave you SOL for more schools than just Harvard, regardless of your softs. Even with an insane LSAT.

Void

Postby Void » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Stinson wrote:Not a lawyer, but this guy was a professor of mine in college. His list is a little more stacked in terms of preftige.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Bolger

Wikipedia wrote:In addition to studying, Bolger was a teaching fellow at Harvard and adjuncts for the online for-profit degree company the University of Phoenix.

Hmmm...

Return to “What are my chances?”