Marine Corps + 1 Yr Law Clerk + 2 Years Corp Sec + 3.8 GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Redfactor

Re: Marine Corps + 1 Yr Law Clerk + 2 Years Corp Sec + 3.8 GPA

Postby Redfactor » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:35 pm

HardenUp wrote:I'm not too sure if you're familiar with the educational benefits, but I heard that Voc Rehab has paid for law school in the past for some individuals. I'm just unsure how to go about that whole process and if I even have time for it.

Voc Rehab can absolutely be an option for law school. Not only will it pay for tuition, but it can also help with other things i.e. computer, books, tutoring, LSAT PREP COURSES. I took a prep course and there was a former whose Voc Rehab was paying for his prep course. If there's a demonstrable advantage of a program or item to help you achieve your chosen field of employment, they can move mountains. It's pretty cool. That's about the extent of my knowledge but here's the link for program requirements: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/

As for age, I am also a Marine vet, and I just started law school this fall at age 27. I actually feel that it's an advantage and I think legal hiring is shifting quickly to adapt that mindset too. You're in a better spot being 31 with work experience than 24/25 without real world WE.

Also, I would look into different states' veteran programs for public schools. There are programs out there that are rarely used because the GI Bill rocks now but they've never been taken off the books. You may be able to utilize one of them when your GI Bill is gone.

Best of luck

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:56 pm

haus wrote:
HardenUp wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Age is irrelevant.

Is age irrelevant when it comes to getting hired by the top 250? That's what I was thinking, but am unsure.

I imagined age is someone a positive thing on the applications, showing the schools you have greater experience and you absolutely know that law is what you want to practice.

If you a concerned about age, take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143047

Thank you, I feel younger looking at this. Haha.

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:00 pm

haus wrote:
HardenUp wrote:I hadn't heard of the LSAT Trainer, thanks for that. I just Googled it and it seems like it'd help.

Is there anything that had gotten you better at timing your PT's? If you ever had trouble with them that is.

Timing is a challenge. But it gets easier with familiarity to the material. I would suggest working on getting really comfortable with the material, before focusing much on timing. Also the LSAT Trainer has recommendations along these lines you may find helpful.

Now, I am far older than you (early 40s), but when I was in the Corps, we had several things that we had to do that at first seemed touch maybe even unattainable. Dis-assembly/assembly of my M16-A2, MK-19, or M60-E3 happen to come to mind. For each, it took me just a little time to get the process down, but it took practice to get my times down. With practice I learned how to stage my components on the tear down so that I would not lose time when it came to put them back together. Eventually, not only did I clear my required time, I crushed them, eventually I was able to handle without light or in a gas chamber (I probably will never get to this level of comfort with the LSAT though :) )

I was taking my time to the umpteenth degree today and getting more right. Being impatient doesn't help.

That's quite true. In boot camp going over every piece on the foot locker, and by the time you're done you could do it in the dark.

I'll read the stuff you provided above too, thanks for that. It's appreciated.

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
HardenUp wrote:The thing about applying next year is that I'll be just turning 27 when I take the December LSAT and I'll be graduating in May '14 from the undergraduate. So if I pass this cycle, I'll be waiting another year to get into law school and am unsure if I want to be 28 and taking off a year of school instead of getting in the workforce again. The thing is I don't want to be the 31 year old being interviewed with 24 year olds with the same degree. Do you by chance (or anyone) know if large firms look down on age once you hit your 30's?

Thanks for replying too.

No, employers don't look down on you for being in your (extremely early) 30s. There are quite a few career-changers in law, so there are plenty of people going through in their late 20s/early 30s (and older, but that's less relevant to your situation). In fact, many of the K-JDs I know felt at a disadvantage not having any work experience.

Alright, that's good to know. Thank you.

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:22 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
HardenUp wrote:The thing about applying next year is that I'll be just turning 27 when I take the December LSAT and I'll be graduating in May '14 from the undergraduate. So if I pass this cycle, I'll be waiting another year to get into law school and am unsure if I want to be 28 and taking off a year of school instead of getting in the workforce again. The thing is I don't want to be the 31 year old being interviewed with 24 year olds with the same degree. Do you by chance (or anyone) know if large firms look down on age once you hit your 30's?

Thanks for replying too.

No, employers don't look down on you for being in your (extremely early) 30s. There are quite a few career-changers in law, so there are plenty of people going through in their late 20s/early 30s (and older, but that's less relevant to your situation). In fact, many of the K-JDs I know felt at a disadvantage not having any work experience.

Agreed. My anecdotal story: I'm 34, at Georgia (what are we, mid 30s ranked?), just about top 10%, and summering with a mid-size paying market next summer. My age was never a question, and my work experience was always seen as a plus. I mean, look at it this way - I still have a 30+ year career ahead of me. Age isn't really a problem.

Ya, I can imagine being in the top 10% helps too. I'm hoping that my age helps me focus more instead of thinking about having a life. I know I'll be able to apply myself better, and I'm going to try to convey something along those lines in my personal statement.

Thank you.

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:28 pm

Redfactor wrote:
HardenUp wrote:I'm not too sure if you're familiar with the educational benefits, but I heard that Voc Rehab has paid for law school in the past for some individuals. I'm just unsure how to go about that whole process and if I even have time for it.

Voc Rehab can absolutely be an option for law school. Not only will it pay for tuition, but it can also help with other things i.e. computer, books, tutoring, LSAT PREP COURSES. I took a prep course and there was a former whose Voc Rehab was paying for his prep course. If there's a demonstrable advantage of a program or item to help you achieve your chosen field of employment, they can move mountains. It's pretty cool. That's about the extent of my knowledge but here's the link for program requirements: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/

As for age, I am also a Marine vet, and I just started law school this fall at age 27. I actually feel that it's an advantage and I think legal hiring is shifting quickly to adapt that mindset too. You're in a better spot being 31 with work experience than 24/25 without real world WE.

Also, I would look into different states' veteran programs for public schools. There are programs out there that are rarely used because the GI Bill rocks now but they've never been taken off the books. You may be able to utilize one of them when your GI Bill is gone.

Best of luck

Ya, that's what I've heard, but I have also been told that they laugh at you if you say anything along the lines of getting a JD though, or a MBA. I'll apply my paper work and hopefully it will go through. I've got nothing to loose in all reality. Do you by chance have the ability to contact that individual who took that prep course with you. I imagine his knowledge would be invaluable to gain if I'm to apply. It would help me out 10 fold.

That's what I'm hoping with age too, if I do well on the December and don't postpone, I'll be the same age entering.

I've tried to look into other programs, but have come up short time and time again. They are all generic and need to be a URM or something along those lines. I have heard that Texas is an amazing state to be a resident in if that's where you singed your enlistment papers. They'll pay for your whole undergraduate for free, then you still have your GI Bill. That's the type of stuff I need to find, but living in Nevada, there's not much.

g_gopinatz

Postby g_gopinatz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:53 pm

OT question - what made you pick rajnikanth as an avatar? that's pretty wild

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:10 am

g_gopinatz wrote:OT question - what made you pick rajnikanth as an avatar? that's pretty wild

Haha - Because Chuck Norris can't even do this and look cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyuzNP_UP4w

jjleague

Postby jjleague » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Study, prep and you should do fine. I recommend getting a tutor to help find your weaknesses on the LSAT, break it down, find it and kill it.

Don't worry about age as I am 41 and just starting and know a couple of guys who went after active duty in their 30's. It is an asset as you will find yourself back in leadership roles due to your age and experiences.

And yes Texas has awesome vet benefits but you have to be a resident when you sign up. Its called the Hazelwood Act but only applies after you have exhausted all federal / mil benefits but still useful if you use your Post 9/11 benefits for UG and still want to go to school up to 150 tuition free hours as public institutions. http://www.tvc.texas.gov/Hazlewood-Act.aspx

They also have a Texas Veterans Land Bureau to buy property but that is off topic.

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:54 pm

jjleague wrote:Study, prep and you should do fine. I recommend getting a tutor to help find your weaknesses on the LSAT, break it down, find it and kill it.

Don't worry about age as I am 41 and just starting and know a couple of guys who went after active duty in their 30's. It is an asset as you will find yourself back in leadership roles due to your age and experiences.

And yes Texas has awesome vet benefits but you have to be a resident when you sign up. Its called the Hazelwood Act but only applies after you have exhausted all federal / mil benefits but still useful if you use your Post 9/11 benefits for UG and still want to go to school up to 150 tuition free hours as public institutions. http://www.tvc.texas.gov/Hazlewood-Act.aspx

They also have a Texas Veterans Land Bureau to buy property but that is off topic.

Thank you, it's appreciated.

I may try and locate a tutor so that I can get those extra few points. One thing is for sure: the studying is going (and has taken) longer than expected. But a majority of the individuals I've been talking to had studied for almost an entire year before taking it.

Ya, Texas seems like they treat their veterans well. I just don't qualify for the benefits.

Return to “What are my chances?”