Question about Columbia ED... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
paperrev

New

Question about Columbia ED...

Post by paperrev » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Hey guys. I'm retaking the October LSAT in a week (was seriously sick when I first took the test and cancelled my score immediately). I just have a question about Columbia ED, as it seems that I might be applying for that.

I was wondering how much more lenient (if at all) Columbia ED is with LSAT scores compared to regular admission? Like would they look at a 167-169 more kindly during ED than regular? And if so, would that be enough to up one's chances of getting in, or do I still need a 170+??

For reference, I have a 3.93 from an Ivy. The reason I ask about LSATs is because my scores fluctuate drastically depending on my physical condition during practices (I'd get 171 one day, 163 the next, then a 177 on my next. I am not kidding).

At this point, I'm more concerned about getting in than getting any financial help right now, so it would be helpful if you could answer purely about "admit/deny" as opposed to "raise your scores and try to get scholarships". Thank you!

twenty

Gold

Re: Question about Columbia ED...

Post by twenty » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:18 am

paperrev wrote:At this point, I'm more concerned about getting in than getting any financial help right now
No you don't. As soon as you throw an ED into the mix, you better be thinking about the financial element as well. While I appreciate that Columbia is slightly more likely to get you into biglaw than is, say, Cornell, you have no business throwing the possibility of a full ride at the lower T14 away for Columbia at sticker. If you were a splitter and you weren't getting money regardless, fine, whatever. But you're obviously not -- a 3.93 from an Ivy, you have no business going to law school at all until you hit what should be your target LSAT score.

Even if it takes you the next year to do it, the difference between a 168 and a 173 to you is worth slightly less than 200k.

You sit out the cycle for 200k. Even if that means you live out of your car.

EDIT> To answer your question, there is some minor evidence that suggests Columbia is slightly more forgiving of low LSAT scores with ED. Slightly.

paperrev

New

Post by paperrev » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:51 am

Okay, then I have another question I'd like to ask. Say I get around a 170-172 next Saturday, which judging from the other posts on this forum, seem to be in the grayish range for Columbia: should I apply ED or regular?? Assuming that I won't be able to take the Dec LSATs or apply after this cycle due to personal reasons. Would a 170-172 warrant a gamble at getting scholarship, or should I just play it safe and ED??

Obviously, I would love to get some financial help if I get in, but I'd still rather get into Columbia with no money than not get in at all.

EDIT: I am not disregarding the other T14 schools, but I have reasons for asking specifically about Columbia..

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:33 am

paperrev wrote:Say I get around a 170-172 next Saturday
I hope you score in that range! But there is such a large difference in every point. Meaning the difference between a 3.93 with a 170 and a 3.93 with a 172 is huge and will most likely be separated by tens of thousands of dollars. Hit 170+ and you are going to have a great cycle with lots of $$

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:33 am

but I have reasons for asking specifically about Columbia..
I believe you, and I applaud your effort. I'm sure you have a really great specific reason for wanting to go to Columbia, be it an SO, that you could live at home, that you have a great job in NY, etc. The reality is, if you can get money from Columbia, you have no business going without money from Columbia. Even assuming that you'd rather not go to law school at all if you can't go to Columbia, if you don't get money, reapply the following year. EDing is binding, so you automatically disregard all the rest of the T14 schools.

Now that all said, with a 172, you'd be between an admit and a waitlist for Columbia. An ED would probably put you in the admit side.

http://mylsn.info/y18qtm

Secondly, Travis is right, there's a huge difference between a 171 and a 172 with your numbers. Come back once you have a real LSAT score and we'll talk then. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 pm

I think 171 and up you're definitely in at CLS

All the predictors will be off due to the shifted median

Assuming you really, really want CLS: If your score comes back lower than 170, you ED. 170 and up, you RD.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:40 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”