International student, no LSDAS GPA, WAM: 91 LSAT: 177

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yuanxun59

International student, no LSDAS GPA, WAM: 91 LSAT: 177

Postby yuanxun59 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:07 am

I'm from Taiwan, LSAC only gives LSDAS GPA to native Americans, so I won't get that. I can only be categorized as Superior/Above Average/Average/Below Average..
But LSAC has always been mysterious when it comes to international students grades credential. My Weighted-Average Mark is 91 out of 100, and I rank 2nd among 246 students in my college and 1st among 34 students in my class. My LSAT score is 177. Any guess on how LSAC might grade me? S or AA?

There are a couple of paths I'm considering taking (Money is one of the most important concerns for me):

1. ED Northwestern since I will be automatically offered $150k scholarship for three years, that's a big thing for me. But the problem is that I may get offers from better schools who are willing to give me equal/slightly less scholarship.
2. Apply widely among Top 14, and choose the best offer, but the problem is that I may not get that much money as NU.
3. Apply widely among Top 14, and if no school gives my great offer, I'd defer one year, go take a gap year and ED NU the next year.

So what do you say? What are the chances of me getting in Harvard with Superior and 177? Thanks!

NapoleonXV

Re: International student, no LSDAS GPA, WAM: 91 LSAT: 177

Postby NapoleonXV » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:52 am

1. I would be surprised if LSAC does not give you superior. I have friends who are doing undergrad in Mainland China, and it seems that normally >90 converts to Superior, with >85 in Peking University and Tsinghua University.

2. You should be in at Harvard, but scholarship will be extremely unpredictable. You should also get in at least 2 of CCN, and you may have a shot at some scholarships in C/C. How important is money for you? Is your receiving $150k conditional upon you ED NU?

yuanxun59

Postby yuanxun59 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 am

NapoleonXV wrote:1. I would be surprised if LSAC does not give you superior. I have friends who are doing undergrad in Mainland China, and it seems that normally >90 converts to Superior, with >85 in Peking University and Tsinghua University.

If you say so, I guess I'll have a big chance of getting Superior

NapoleonXV wrote:2. You should be in at Harvard, but scholarship will be extremely unpredictable. You should also get in at least 2 of CCN, and you may have a shot at some scholarships in C/C. How important is money for you? Is your receiving $150k conditional upon you ED NU?

Money is really important for me, but I heard that Harvard would give students need-based grant and institutional loans. I'll be fine with both of them. And receiving $150k upon ED NU is not conditional, everyone accepted via ED program will be automatically offered that.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:32 pm

One thread at a time, yo.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=216785

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:25 pm

yuanxun59 wrote:native Americans

This doesn't mean what you think it means.

jptw88

Postby jptw88 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Impressive credentials yuanxun. Your 91/100 seems very strong so I wouldn't worry to much about how LSAC categorizes your undergrad gpa. Since you an an intl. student without an american undergrad GPA, your LSAT will be weighted mostly heavily. Why? U.S. law school admissions are very peculiar about how their entering class (matriculants) will affect their rankings. Your undergrad GPA will be except from their reporting statistics meaning although it will be given attention, it will not be a determining factor in their decision to offer you admission.

With a 177 LSAT your chances of admission are very realistic for any U.S. law school and you should be able to negotiate a very high scholarship package.

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:56 am

midwest17 wrote:

LoL

You native Americans

Steveloblaw

Postby Steveloblaw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:04 am

midwest17 wrote:

My name is Inigo Montoya

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:10 pm

I feel that this is one of those cases where your softs will speak louder than your GPA (or lack there-of). Write a killer essay, get killer recs, and have average-above average softs and that "Superior" will look, well, superior. Otherwise a weak essay, weak recs, and below-average softs will make that "Superior" look way too arbitrary. Preferably, make a strong case as to why, as a non-US citizen, you would like to pursue US law.

This is especially true for schools that (or at least claim to) be holistic. Best of luck and congrats on that LSAT!

Return to “What are my chances?”