My Chances - Totally Unsure

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dm27

My Chances - Totally Unsure

Postby dm27 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi all. I am new here.

These are my scores: 149 LSAT /3.93 GPA

I realize that some may suggest that I retake the LSAT but I don't have the time (or the risk - I took one stupidly without even a little bit of prep and got 143). I prepped for about 1.5 - 2 months. I have solid LORs and a solid PS. I am at a regionally solid school in Philadelphia PA (I am a dual major: elementary Ed and American Studies). I truly do not mind relocating (as long as it is in the continental US). I just need a little guidance because I want to start applying soon.

Thank you in advance.

Winston1984

Re: My Chances - Totally Unsure

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 pm

The only thing TLS will tell you to do is retake. I'm pretty positive you can retake, you just don't want to.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:18 pm

You can only go to law school once. Don't mess it up. Your GPA can get you into any school in the country. Retake.

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 pm

With that gpa it would be worth it try and retake. Even if not shooting for a top school a few more points on the lsat would help with scholarship money.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Retake or dont go.

meegee

Postby meegee » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:39 pm

Retake. Don't waste that GPA.

Unless you're like 60, you have the time. I don't know the exact age, but I think the average 1L is like 24-25.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:40 pm

There is no law school worth attending that will accept a 149 LSAT. Period.

It would be criminal to waste that beautiful GPA on anything but a good school, and I refuse to believe that anyone capable of getting a 3.9 can't understand that. Law school isn't going anywhere.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:15 am

Gear up for December NOW.

Read the stickies in the lsat forum. Read pithypike and noodley's guide

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:14 am

Holy

Shit

Retake.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:43 am

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:52 am

Surely this must be trolling

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:43 am

dm27 wrote:Hi all. I am new here.

These are my scores: 149 LSAT /3.93 GPA

I realize that some may suggest that I retake the LSAT but I don't have the time (or the risk - I took one stupidly without even a little bit of prep and got 143). I prepped for about 1.5 - 2 months. I have solid LORs and a solid PS. I am at a regionally solid school in Philadelphia PA (I am a dual major: elementary Ed and American Studies). I truly do not mind relocating (as long as it is in the continental US). I just need a little guidance because I want to start applying soon.

Thank you in advance.

Huh? You took it "without even a little bit of prep" but you also prepped for 1.5-2 months? I'm confused.

Either way, retake. No law school worth attending will even look at you with a 143. You'd seriously be better off working at McDonalds than attending the ones that will accept a 143.

If you truly won't make the time to retake, then don't go to law school.

dm27

Postby dm27 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:51 am

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

I am not totally against retaking the LSAT. I have two questions first:

Do law schools truly evaluate the top score when they say that they do?

Second, if the answer is yes to my first question, what should be my plan for prep? I have most trouble with the games.

Also, what does the last poster mean by troll?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:37 am

Schools only take the top score. Look through the LSAC forum for strategies. No offense meant, but if you got a 149 you really need to work on all aspects of the test, not just games.

As far as troll, he means you're making this up just to make TLS bristle, because no one could possibly think going to law school with a 149 is a good plan.

My troll sense is tingling also, but there you go.
Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 am

Nova wrote:Gear up for December NOW.

Read the stickies in the lsat forum. Read pithypike and noodley's guide

This.

It's a bit hard to believe that someone with the academic prowess to earn a 3.93 could do something like apply to law school with a 149...

dm27

Postby dm27 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:03 am

Ok. I mean, I realize that the 149 is weak all around. But, by and large, the games were worst. I was kind of thinking along the lines of: if I have 2+ months to prep, I could just focus on games and maybe get another 6-8 points.

Thanks for explaining the troll thing. I swear that I'm legit. I just wanted some feedback in regards to my options from other people who may have experience with this. I realize that school choices are dismal with my LSAT number but I really would like to follow my internal desire to practice law.

I'll do my best with prep and retake it. I wish I had more time!

Thanks again.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:13 am

6-8 points doesn't even really improve the cost-benefit analysis of you going to law school. I wouldn't apply with less than, say, a 163 if I were you. And that's only if you're fine attending a regional school and having limited mobility. If you don't make a jump into the mid-160s, take a year off and do something else while you study.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:15 am

dm27 wrote:Ok. I mean, I realize that the 149 is weak all around. But, by and large, the games were worst. I was kind of thinking along the lines of: if I have 2+ months to prep, I could just focus on games and maybe get another 6-8 points.

Thanks for explaining the troll thing. I swear that I'm legit. I just wanted some feedback in regards to my options from other people who may have experience with this. I realize that school choices are dismal with my LSAT number but I really would like to follow my internal desire to practice law.

Thanks again.

You really need 15+ points to open up some great options. I wouldn't apply until you do. Don't waste that GPA.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

dm27 wrote:Ok. I mean, I realize that the 149 is weak all around. But, by and large, the games were worst. I was kind of thinking along the lines of: if I have 2+ months to prep, I could just focus on games and maybe get another 6-8 points.

Thanks again.

Like others have said study like crazy to get a big increase. If you put in some hard work and hit a 170 you are looking at a full ride or 3/4 scholarship from top schools.

This is with a 170 LSAT and your GPA

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:06 am

dm27 wrote:Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

I am not totally against retaking the LSAT. I have two questions first:

Do law schools truly evaluate the top score when they say that they do?

Second, if the answer is yes to my first question, what should be my plan for prep? I have most trouble with the games.

Also, what does the last poster mean by troll?

Yes, they take only the top score. Only the top score factors into USNWR, so it would be counterproductive for them to turn down candidates who can contribute to their medians based on scores that are irrelevant for rankings purposes.

Games are by far the easiest to learn and have been covered ad nauseum over on the LSAT Prep forum. Honestly, I would not rush the next retake because with the right score, your GPA would make you competitive for any law school in the country aside from HYS. That would translate into career prospects that are oceans apart at what you are looking at now (200K debt to make about 50K). You should take a good six months or so to prepare and watch your PT scores rise. Unless you have a compelling reason why you have no time to study (on the level of working 60 hours a week to support your unemployed, disabled mother) then you'd be doing your career a huge disservice by locking yourself in to a two month study regimen.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:33 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Yes, they take only the top score. Only the top score factors into USNWR, so it would be counterproductive for them to turn down candidates who can contribute to their medians based on scores that are irrelevant for rankings purposes.

Games are by far the easiest to learn and have been covered ad nauseum over on the LSAT Prep forum. Honestly, I would not rush the next retake because with the right score, your GPA would make you competitive for any law school in the country INCLUDING HYS.

FTFY. 3.93 is above every median GPA in the country including Yale.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:51 am

MoMettaMonk wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

Games are by far the easiest to learn and have been covered ad nauseum over on the LSAT Prep forum. Honestly, I would not rush the next retake because with the right score, your GPA would make you competitive for any law school in the country INCLUDING HYS.

HYS may still average, although there's rumors that H no longer does. Even a 143/149/180 isn't going to do it, although if OP had that score it would be worth shooting an app anyway.

Also OP needs to read this: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/07/a-guide- ... aw-school/

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:47 am

timbs4339 wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

HYS may still average, although there's rumors that H no longer does. Even a 143/149/180 isn't going to do it, although if OP had that score it would be worth shooting an app anyway.

Also OP needs to read this: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/07/a-guide- ... aw-school/

One of the data heavy contributors (I think Mono or kappycaft1) conducted a preliminary study on LSAT jumps for 2nd and 3rd takers. I believe one who scores in the 140s had a negligible shot of a 170+, and one who had scored under 150 twice had a literally zero probability of breaking 170. Improvement is always possible, but the data would indicate that jumps in the 20-25 point range (not to mention 30+ for a 180) are practically out of consideration.

Of course since this is a case by case basis and not a stochastic exercise, one could debate whether the record of past exam takers is relevant, and I dont mean to discourage OP from the retake. Definitely retake. Even a 160 could help OP get into some good schools, or secure regional schools on the cheap. But as timbs pointed to, strict averaging aside, Harvard law won't really ever have to look at a 143, 149 since no individual has his their median following those scores.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Take a year off and prep like crazy. If you get into the low 160s, which you can do if you suck at games because games are very learnable, you may have a shot at Penn or UVA.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Retake. You can only go up. And if you don't go up, you shouldn't be going to law school.

Return to “What are my chances?”