178/2.7 URM, MLIS Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Urmsplitter

New

Re: 178/2.7 URM, MLIS

Post by Urmsplitter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:57 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:I mean, leveraging is part of it. The other is that I'd rather hate Chicago or Ithica for 3yrs and have a job afterwards rather than love GWU for 3 years and be unemployed and in debt afterwards.
I haven't had any trouble finding law librarian positions! I think the pay bump for a JD might not be worth it but I'm told it makes a huge difference for academic law libraries. It would also make me more competitive for research and analysis positions...I wouldn't mind a little more respect from the really stuck up attorneys, but that might be asking for too much.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urmsplitter

New

Post by Urmsplitter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:08 am

bee wrote:
Urmsplitter wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:I mean, leveraging is part of it. The other is that I'd rather hate Chicago or Ithica for 3yrs and have a job afterwards rather than love GWU for 3 years and be unemployed and in debt afterwards.
I haven't had any trouble finding law librarian positions! I think the pay bump for a JD might not be worth it but I'm told it makes a huge difference for academic law libraries. It would also make me more competitive for research and analysis positions...I wouldn't mind a little more respect from the really stuck up attorneys, but that might be asking for too much.
I considered going this route; any tips about researching it? Like any really good industry sites, etc. And is the masters in library sci necessary?
I think it must depend on your market because the law library association website says JDs do get hired and I've heard from some MLIS that you compete with JDs for them. Probably depends on the position too, technical services absolutely requires an MLS. There is a huge percentage of disgruntled attorneys in my program, but as far as I can tell none from T14 schools. The law librarian association isn't super helpful, but CUA has some good print resources that you might be able to track down online? I only got into it because my neighbor is a professor at my school and was the head of the law librarian association, haha. The professor I TA for is also active researcher in that area even though he worked for an engineering firm for most of his library career.

The faculty at my school are really great. I only went to library school because I got a shitty part-time library job after undergrad and found out after the fact that I got a 50% tuition discount. It's pretty expensive if you don't go to a state school and the biggest red flag is that they don't report employment in a way that's straightforward. I will say that I got into the field because law firms post a lot of entry level stuff, it seems like exclusively, on the l-school listservs. I'm under the impression that Pratt's program is good too.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:00 am

Urmsplitter wrote:
This is a tiny niche field within the greater legal profession, you should not be shelling out six- figures for a possible marginal increase in a position that you may or may not find.

Go to school to be a lawyer and make sure to go to a school with good employment numbers.

Urmsplitter

New

Post by Urmsplitter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Urmsplitter wrote:This is a tiny niche field within the greater legal profession, you should not be shelling out six- figures for a possible marginal increase in a position that you may or may not find. Go to school to be a lawyer and make sure to go to a school with good employment numbers.
I really want the option to get out of law firm libraries: http://www.llrx.com/features/jdnecessary.htm

I've been looking at the few applicant profiles on the LSAC sites, I feel like a lot of these schools might be seriously out of reach for me. It doesn't look like a lot of them have ever dipped so low in GPA for a high LSAT :?: :( :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:02 pm

They don't usually, but you're also an AA URM. I would bet money on Northwestern letting you in.

That said, wanting "exit options" is absolutely not a reason to drop 250k+ on a law degree. T20 schools will shell out huge money, particularly UMinn, WUSTL, and GWU. If you feel like you're looking to add a JD to increase your marketability in your JD-preferred field (legal librarianship), there is no way a T14 JD makes sense for you.

I would very seriously consider EDing to GWU or BU if that's what you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”