URM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
muddastadt

URM

Postby muddastadt » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:33 pm

2.7 LSDAS GPA
3.0 Major GPA - Majored in Bio and Chem at a state university
3.4 Graduate GPA in Biochem
160 LSAT
URM - Mexican

What are my chances at Texas and Louisiana schools?
Last edited by muddastadt on Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Re: URM

Postby twenty » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:42 pm

First, don't do law. Go enjoy a wonderful career in biochem.

What kind of URM? Mexican-American or Puerto Rican, and your chances are not going to be significantly better than they would have otherwise been. African-American or enrolled tribal member, however, your chances do increase quite a bit.

If you're interested in patent law (and ONLY if you're interested in patent law), the acceptable list of schools does become a bit larger. WUSTL on a full ride is definitely a good option if you're up for practicing IP law in the mid-west. However, it vastly benefits you to retake the LSAT. A 160 is not going to help you overcome the 2.7 -- you're going to need at least a 167 in order to pick up enough money at a decent enough school to justify going.

If you're not interested in patent law, your best bet is to get into Northwestern. That's going to require a 171+ LSAT, and you're not going to be getting much in the way of scholarship money. Outside of that, law school is probably not worth it for you.

muddastadt

Postby muddastadt » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Yeah, I don't want to do Biochemistry anymore. I want to practice law. Thanks for giving your opinion though.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Retake or don't go.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:47 pm

RELIC wrote:Retake or don't go.

This. Your desire to do law makes no difference if you don't go to a good school.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Retake and hit at least median at SMU/UH/UT for a decent shot at admission with possibly a scholarship.

Sub 3 GPA and under the lsat median is not a good look.

You are in the Texas tech / LSU range right now.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:03 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
RELIC wrote:Retake or don't go.

This. Your desire to do law makes no difference if you don't go to a good school.

Also what is it about law that attracts you?

muddastadt

Postby muddastadt » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks guys. My main reason for wanting to go to law school is that I have an interest in patent law, especially now in the post genomic era, and I think it would allow me to make good use of my academic background. I love science but a research career is just not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I figure it's better to switch after my Master's than to commit to another four years as a Ph.D candidate.

Return to “What are my chances?”