New to this forum, looking for advice.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
baileybd2

New to this forum, looking for advice.

Postby baileybd2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 am

Greetings everyone!

I currently attend Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond Va. I am a sophomore with a 3.0 GPA and majoring in accounting (possibly thinking about dual majoring in finance). I would really appreciate some insight on ways to start developing the best resume possible. Some advice that I am really seeking is when to take the LSAT? Volunteering / internship opportunities that would benefit me. All advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

rinkrat19

Re: New to this forum, looking for advice.

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:47 am

1. Get your GPA up.
2. Have a life.
3. Get your GPA up.
4. Don't worry about the LSAT yet. If you need to take a year after graduation to work and study for it, that's fine. It makes you a better adult human anyway. You can take it the summer between junior and senior year, the fall of senior year, the summer after graduation, etc. If studying for the LSAT is going to negatively affect your grades, don't do it. Wait.
5. Get your GPA up.
6. Get a job or internship during the summers, but don't stress about how prestigious it is. For the purposes of law school admissions, they're pretty much all the same unless you've written a bestselling novel, competed in the Olympics, cured cancer, started Facebook, or served as Personal Aide to the President.
7. Get your GPA up.
8. Do a school club or two if you want, but don't stress over them. As long as your resume isn't totally empty, it's fine. Don't do anything that negatively affects your GPA.
9. Get your GPA up.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:48 am

baileybd2 wrote:Greetings everyone!

I currently attend Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond Va. I am a sophomore with a 3.0 GPA and majoring in accounting (possibly thinking about dual majoring in finance). I would really appreciate some insight on ways to start developing the best resume possible. Some advice that I am really seeking is when to take the LSAT? Volunteering / internship opportunities that would benefit me. All advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Get a 180 on the LSAT. With that GPA (assuming it stays constant, which it shouldn't), that's how you build the best application possible. Don't worry about internships and volunteering - only do them to the extent you want to do them. As to when to take the LSAT, take it when you're ready (i.e. consistently practice testing in the high 170s). You have plenty of time being a sophomore. Good luck!

ETA - the above post is credited. Get some work experience to help with on-campus interviewing during law school.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:18 pm

You're going to want to take a year off after graduating anyway to make sure all those A's you earn during your senior year get counted in your GPA. Take the LSAT during that year off.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:28 pm

The NUMBER ONE factor on your resume is GPA/LSAT. Obviously the higher that both of them are the better your resume will be. Don't spend too much time with clubs, volunteering, etc. if it will negatively affect your GPA/LSAT. Also, I assume you are graduating in 4 years so don't start messing with the lsat just yet because you don't want your mind to stray away from that GPA!

baileybd2

Postby baileybd2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 pm

sopranorleone wrote:

Get a 180 on the LSAT. With that GPA (assuming it stays constant, which it shouldn't), that's how you build the best application possible. Don't worry about internships and volunteering - only do them to the extent you want to do them. As to when to take the LSAT, take it when you're ready (i.e. consistently practice testing in the high 170s). You have plenty of time being a sophomore. Good luck!

ETA - the above post is credited. Get some work experience to help with on-campus interviewing during law school.

My GPA will increase by the time I graduate especially if I make the final decision to dual major. I was looking to join our Pre-Law society to help with getting the necessary information and opportunities here at VCU

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:1. Get your GPA up.

TITCR

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:22 pm

baileybd2 wrote:
sopranorleone wrote:

My GPA will increase by the time I graduate especially if I make the final decision to dual major. I was looking to join our Pre-Law society to help with getting the necessary information and opportunities here at VCU

Crosscheck anything you hear at your "pre-law society" or from any idiot calling himself a "pre-law advisor" with TLS because they're mostly useless and often outright harmful.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:47 pm

You'll have an accounting degree, which means you should be able to find a job upon graduating. Do so, and study for the LSAT while working.

Return to “What are my chances?”