.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Jules239 wrote:Hmm. Well, it scares me to put myself in a position where I start feeling "comfortable". It's hard to go from making a regular salary to indebting oneself at the rate of an annual salary. Regardless, I'd be putting my law school goals on hold. I'm not ruling that option out, though. If this round of admissions doesn't go well for me, I will definitely consider that route. As it stands though, these are going to be my stats for this admissions period.

Why do you not trust your future self to make good decisions?

irishballa
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 am

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby irishballa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:11 am

Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:Retake definitely first of all. I went into my cycle with my highest score being 169, similar GPA, and similar softs. I did apply in mid-late january so that may have hurt me a little.

So here's how my cycle went (schollys are off memory, so take it as is):
YS: Didn't apply
H: Rejected
CCN: WL, Reject
V: WL, 45/yr
P: 30/year
B: Accepted, no scholly
C: around 35/yr
MDNG: Didn't apply
------------------------
UCLA: 45/yr
Texas: I think 20, but with in state
Rest: Basically full

Like someone else said earlier, I would apply to many of the schools for scholarship negotiating causes. Penn went up by 15k/year in my case from initial offer



You got 45/yr from UVA with a 169, 3.9? Those are my numbers so I'm just wondering if its really possible to get that much money from UVA with those kinda stats. Thanks!

Where did you decide on?

arklaw13
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:06 pm

I had 169/4.0. My cycle went like this:

I didn't follow up on any WL, so I don't know how that would have turned out.

Stanford: WL
Columbia:WL
NYU: WL
Michigan: 67.5k, then 120k
Virginia: WL (no idea why)
Penn: WL
Duke: admitted, didn't apply for aid, others with my numbers got $60-90k
Cornell: withdrew before decision
Vandy: 110k, then full ride + $5k/yr

Ended up taking Vandy. I had pretty good chance at getting in everywhere I was WL'd at except Stanford and Columbia, but I didn't want to deal with that. I don't do any personal essays, so that may be why VP didn't admit me.

FluffMonster
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby FluffMonster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks, Dylan. How did you get Vanderbilt to up your scholarship?

irishballa
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 am

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby irishballa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:04 am

And how did you get Michigan to up your offer as well?

indo
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:02 am

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby indo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:45 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Jules239 wrote:Well tmi, but "non-traditional family" for me means I have no family. I can't take off a year of school because I'd be homeless. I could study for the Oct. or Dec. LSAT, but I don't have the massive amount of time it would take to get 170+ so I would be risking getting a lower score. I kinda just wanted to know my prospects at HLS, but I still consider myself lucky to be in the playing field of some of the other major schools.

If anybody else has similar stats and has applied, I would still love to hear your experiences.


Ah, that's a tough situation to be in.

The thing is, if you get a lower score it's not going to matter for any schools outside of HYS (and even the "averaging" CW for HYS is in dispute after the recent drops in applicants). So worst case scenario you maintain your current options. But even the average retake score increase of 2-3 points would be huge at your level.

What I would do is go through the Vault Law Firm rankings, go to the websites, and apply for paralegal jobs at big and mid-sized law firms in cities you'd want to live in. They hire people directly from UG. Put your LSAT score and GPA in your application and say in the cover letter you want to eventually go to law school. These large firms usually require a 2 year commitment, but they pay a high enough base salary to get an apartment and live independently. With overtime, you can even make around 75K which is great for someone with a liberal arts degree. You can study on your downtime and retake.

This is such a common path to as T14 as to be a cliche. Outside of K-JD it was the most common path for people at my law school.



Check with Federal Trade commissions. They do have honor Paralegal. Pay about $ 42,000 / year.
here is the links.

http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/oed/hrmo/hpp/index.shtm

arklaw13
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:23 am

Jules239 wrote:Thanks, Dylan. How did you get Vanderbilt to up your scholarship?


About a week before the deposit deadline I emailed them and said they were my top choice and inquired about any more scholarship money. They gave me an interview with the Dean of Admissons for a Law Scholar Award. I had to apply for it separately because I didn't apply for it at first. They usually give them out in February, so probably whoever they gave it to before me turned it down for another school.


irishballa wrote:And how did you get Michigan to up your offer as well?


Michigan gave out more money when people withdrew their applications pretty near the deadline. If Michigan is your top choice, I'd suggest withdrawing around then and waiting a couple days. If they offer you more aid, great. If not, call and ask if you can cancel your withdrawal. They seemed pretty chill about it and said if I reconsidered then I could just call them in a few days.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:47 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Retake.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:58 pm

With a 3.9 from a good school, one should be able to nab a paralegal position. However, I wouldn't exaggerate the ease with which one can get that job out of undergrad. It's still very competitive, as is any job in the $40-50K range with a bachelors

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:With a 3.9 from a good school, one should be able to nab a paralegal position. However, I wouldn't exaggerate the ease with which one can get that job out of undergrad. It's still very competitive, as is any job in the $40-50K range with a bachelors


OP, most of the hiring for these positions happens in the winter/spring, with new hires beginning in the early summer. You can occasionally find one-off positions available during the summer/fall, however, as firms are trying to replace paralegals who have left, which happens frequently. Pull up vault and hit up the websites for every firm on the list.

Re: salary, if we're talking biglaw firm and NYC, it's more like 60-70k with OT factored in.

User avatar
dnptan
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby dnptan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:08 pm

Retake, but Harvard is worth the cookie.

Re-applicant for this year (sat out last cycle) here were my stats:

LSAT 170
GPA 3.82
Bilingual, Engineering, Failed Startup

Schools:

Yale - out
Stanford - WL, out
Harvard - WL, out
CLS - WL, in
Chi -WL, withdrew
NYU - In
Boalt - In

---

Definite possibility either way. 3.95 is epic, and if I had that I'm pretty sure HLS would have taken me :) My LSAT is just 1 pt better than yours.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:28 pm

dnptan wrote:Retake, but Harvard is worth the cookie.

Re-applicant for this year (sat out last cycle) here were my stats:

LSAT 170
GPA 3.82
Bilingual, Engineering, Failed Startup

Schools:

Yale - out
Stanford - WL, out
Harvard - WL, out
CLS - WL, in
Chi -WL, withdrew
NYU - In
Boalt - In

---

Definite possibility either way. 3.95 is epic, and if I had that I'm pretty sure HLS would have taken me :) My LSAT is just 1 pt better than yours.


Just out of curiosity, why did you sit out on CLS/NYU/Cal? If you applied I would think you'd be happy to attend. Retaking for H?

User avatar
dnptan
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby dnptan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah I had a long internal debate about this too. Great schools, but that WL offer man.

I currently live in Boston and am an intellectual property consultant, so I have a comfortable life. I'm also only 22 (21 when I was applying) so I figure why rush into law school?

Secondly, as sexy as CLS sounds, I have NYCPhobia, which was exacerbated with my sister's hit-and-run incident (she was a pedestrian) earlier this year. I decided to at least wait a year given A) my job, B) shot at HYS, and C) Give myself some time cool off from my admittedly unwarranted anger towards the city.

Now since we led up to that: should I re-apply to CLS, or any school that already took me? :D

clareh123
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby clareh123 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Dylanlj13 wrote:
Jules239 wrote:Thanks, Dylan. How did you get Vanderbilt to up your scholarship?


About a week before the deposit deadline I emailed them and said they were my top choice and inquired about any more scholarship money. They gave me an interview with the Dean of Admissons for a Law Scholar Award. I had to apply for it separately because I didn't apply for it at first. They usually give them out in February, so probably whoever they gave it to before me turned it down for another school.


irishballa wrote:And how did you get Michigan to up your offer as well?


Michigan gave out more money when people withdrew their applications pretty near the deadline. If Michigan is your top choice, I'd suggest withdrawing around then and waiting a couple days. If they offer you more aid, great. If not, call and ask if you can cancel your withdrawal. They seemed pretty chill about it and said if I reconsidered then I could just call them in a few days.


a lot of my friends applied to law school last year (incl. michigan) and i don't think that withdrawing or threatening to withdraw is going to just get you a scholarship increase. i know someone who got admitted to michigan and ended up re-taking and they upped her scholarship because she got a 173, but i don’t know anyone who withdrew and got more money just because they withdrew. i think that would just be annoying to the admissions people

arklaw13
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: My chances for an admit to HLS? Or for money from a T-14?

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:25 pm

clareh123 wrote:
Dylanlj13 wrote:
Jules239 wrote:Thanks, Dylan. How did you get Vanderbilt to up your scholarship?


About a week before the deposit deadline I emailed them and said they were my top choice and inquired about any more scholarship money. They gave me an interview with the Dean of Admissons for a Law Scholar Award. I had to apply for it separately because I didn't apply for it at first. They usually give them out in February, so probably whoever they gave it to before me turned it down for another school.


irishballa wrote:And how did you get Michigan to up your offer as well?


Michigan gave out more money when people withdrew their applications pretty near the deadline. If Michigan is your top choice, I'd suggest withdrawing around then and waiting a couple days. If they offer you more aid, great. If not, call and ask if you can cancel your withdrawal. They seemed pretty chill about it and said if I reconsidered then I could just call them in a few days.


a lot of my friends applied to law school last year (incl. michigan) and i don't think that withdrawing or threatening to withdraw is going to just get you a scholarship increase. i know someone who got admitted to michigan and ended up re-taking and they upped her scholarship because she got a 173, but i don’t know anyone who withdrew and got more money just because they withdrew. i think that would just be annoying to the admissions people



Check last cycle's michigan thread around the withdrawal date. They nearly doubled my scholarship after I withdrew. They called quite a lot of people to get them to reconsider. I think this is probably specific to Mich because they don't negotiate. They hold out on the front end and only give increases to get people who would otherwise withdraw.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest