... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:59 am

Last edited by Nekrowizard on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Re: 3.53/175

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:55 am

Nekrowizard wrote:I had a bad first semester, so I ended up retaking some classes and graduated with a 3.98, summa cum laude. LSAC counts those initial grades, whereas my university does not, so that accounts for the drop. Should I write an addendum or am I screwed? I've also got a DUI on my record. Do I write an addendum for that too?
Definitely need to disclose the DUI and write explaining how you (hopefully) learned your lesson and whatnot. As far as the GPA of the first semester... You can write an addendum if you have a good reason, otherwise I wouldn't mention it. I had a similar experience and performed to my LSAC GPA, not my UG GPA. Your numbers will still give you some excellent options, including likely T6 acceptances and lower T14 schollys.

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: 3.53/175

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Nekrowizard wrote:I had a bad first semester, so I ended up retaking some classes and graduated with a 3.98, summa cum laude. LSAC counts those initial grades, whereas my university does not, so that accounts for the drop. Should I write an addendum or am I screwed? I've also got a DUI on my record. Do I write an addendum for that too?
Edit: Noodley beat me to it. Posting anyway.

What were the reasons for your bad first semester? This is what will determine whether or not an addendum is a good idea. However, be aware that a grade addendum will likely make no difference for you, regardless of the reason(s) for your first-semester performance. The only thing USNWR records is the LSDAS GPA, so that's all the schools will care about. (And, in any case, I suspect most adcomms think it's BS that some schools allow you to erase bad grades with retakes.)

You won't write an addendum for your DUI, but the C&F section of each app will direct you to provide additional information about any criminal history, which will be the functional equivalent of writing an addendum. How long ago was the DUI? You will need to spend some time crafting a good statement about it. A DUI is the sort of thing that can lead you to significantly underperform your numbers (which would otherwise give you a very strong shot at almost all of the non-YHS T14).

Return to “What are my chances?”