GPA 3.1? Chances at T-15?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
riku33090

GPA 3.1? Chances at T-15?

Postby riku33090 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Deleted
Last edited by riku33090 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Re: GPA 3.1? Chances at T-15?

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 pm

173+ would probably maximize your chances.

169 and you might slide into GULC.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:16 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:173+ would probably maximize your chances.

what if i can get a strong rec letter from a famous person say James Murdoch?
Anyone have any experiences with this type of situation?

Frothingslosh

Postby Frothingslosh » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 pm

riku33090 wrote:

Is James Murdoch an Adcomm for a T15 school? If not, I guess it's cool to say you know James Murdoch?

Seriously though, a LOR from him will likely mean about as much as any other LOR that comes across their desks.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Frothingslosh wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

Is James Murdoch an Adcomm for a T15 school? If not, I guess it's cool to say you know James Murdoch?

Seriously though, a LOR from him will likely mean about as much as any other LOR that comes across their desks.

Thanks man.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:57 am

lol No one cares about famous LORs. Kill the LSAT or forget it.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:46 am

Clearly wrote:lol No one cares about famous LORs. Kill the LSAT or forget it.

what about andre douglas pond cummings? that's gotta carry real weight in the law world, right?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:03 am

Why on earth would anyone care what James Murdoch thinks about you or anything else?

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Why on earth would anyone care what James Murdoch thinks about you or anything else?

Err... Why on Earth is do advertisement use famous people to brand their product? Why don't they use you or me on NIKE commercials? I am sure i dont need to point out the obvious here do I? He is a influential/semi-famous person obviously, his words carries more weight than hmm say my college professor.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Why on earth would anyone care what James Murdoch thinks about you or anything else?

And you know what my friend got into Harvard because he had a LOR from Ma Ying-Jeou, the president of Taiwan. I am sure he probably have some government connections and his secretary probably wrote the letter and stamped it . Bottom line is you rather have that LOR than any of yours right?

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:42 pm

riku33090 wrote:

And you know what my friend got into Harvard because he had a LOR from Ma Ying-Jeou, the president of Taiwan. I am sure he probably have some government connections and his secretary probably wrote the letter and stamped it . Bottom line is you rather have that LOR than any of yours right?

No. Murdoch's a polarizing enough figure that you're probably better off without a letter from him tainting your app unless a) he was your direct supervisor and can directly speak to the important role you played at News Corp (ideally, you played an important role that didn't involve huge ethical/legal violations) or b) you can convince him to make a large donation to your target school in your name.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:51 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

No. Murdoch's a polarizing enough figure that you're probably better off without a letter from him tainting your app unless a) he was your direct supervisor and can directly speak to the important role you played at News Corp (ideally, you played an important role that didn't involve huge ethical/legal violations) or b) you can convince him to make a large donation to your target school in your name.

Lol...no donation man. Im really just trying to see what effect would a famous person's LOR have on admission because from my only experience, my friend got into Harvard. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, all of this talk is useless unless i get a good score.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:21 pm

riku33090 wrote:
AfghanTourist wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

Lol...no donation man. Im really just trying to see what effect would a famous person's LOR have on admission because from my only experience, my friend got into Harvard. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, all of this talk is useless unless i get a good score.

First, I believe Ma is an HLS alumn, and hence somewhat of a special circumstance -- still, your friend didnt get into harvard because of the president of taiwan. He probably would have been in regardless due to LSAT/GPA.

A strong academic rec from a professor who knows you well is better than ANY celebrity or public figure. So in answer to your question, no, Id rather have my professor LoR than Mr. Ma's. This is very specific to law school admissions -- Im not saying recommendations from public figures don't have their utility elsewhere.

As mentioned above by another poster, the only circumstance where one should take an LoR from a well-known non-academic individual is if they were a direct employer (not the CEO you've met twice briefly), they know your work well and they can speak to it fluently.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:18 pm

First, I believe Ma is an HLS alumn, and hence somewhat of a special circumstance -- still, your friend didnt get into harvard because of the president of taiwan. He probably would have been in regardless due to LSAT/GPA.

A strong academic rec from a professor who knows you well is better than ANY celebrity or public figure. So in answer to your question, no, Id rather have my professor LoR than Mr. Ma's. This is very specific to law school admissions -- Im not saying recommendations from public figures don't have their utility elsewhere.

As mentioned above by another poster, the only circumstance where one should take an LoR from a well-known non-academic individual is if they were a direct employer (not the CEO you've met twice briefly), they know your work well and they can speak to it fluently.[/quote][/quote]
yea i understand what you were saying regarding LOR from famous people. As for my friend, i strongly believe that LOR pushed him over the top. People applied to Harvard have high GPA and LSAT, that letter might made a difference for him.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm

riku33090 wrote:First, I believe Ma is an HLS alumn, and hence somewhat of a special circumstance -- still, your friend didnt get into harvard because of the president of taiwan. He probably would have been in regardless due to LSAT/GPA.

As mentioned above by another poster, the only circumstance where one should take an LoR from a well-known non-academic individual is if they were a direct employer (not the CEO you've met twice briefly), they know your work well and they can speak to it fluently.
[/quote]
yea i understand what you were saying regarding LOR from famous people. As for my friend, i strongly believe that LOR pushed him over the top. People applied to Harvard have high GPA and LSAT, that letter might made a difference for him.[/quote]
Do you know his stats? If not, hypothesizing either way is dumb...

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 pm

riku33090 wrote:

How could you possibly know that[s what got 'em in?
Last edited by dr123 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 pm

riku33090 wrote:

Err... Why on Earth is do advertisement use famous people to brand their product? Why don't they use you or me on NIKE commercials? I am sure i dont need to point out the obvious here do I? He is a influential/semi-famous person obviously, his words carries more weight than hmm say my college professor.

I think you do need to point out "the obvious," actually. All you've shown so far is an ability to construct really inapt analogies as well as a remarkable ease with operating off of unsubstantiated assumptions (and terrible grammar, too). Your last statement is utterly false, so you'll need to come up with a different version of "the obvious," I'm afraid.

riku33090 wrote:And you know what my friend got into Harvard because he had a LOR from Ma Ying-Jeou, the president of Taiwan.

Did Jessica Soban tell you that he got in because of his LOR? Odds are infinitesimal that this LOR from Ma was anything close to the deciding factor in his admission to HLS.

Bottom line is you rather have that LOR than any of yours right?

Nope. My LORs served me rather well. I wouldn't change a thing.

Power Clean

Postby Power Clean » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Intimacy of relationship + degree of substantive praise = value of LoR

NYU wrote:As far as letters from VIPs – usually I appreciate these because I am able to add the signatures to my autograph collection that I will sell some day on ebay when I am ready to retire. Seriously, letters from VIPs have a positive impact only if the writer shows that the candidate supervised the candidate’s work in some professional setting.

Michigan wrote:getting a letter from someone famous does not result in a different outcome for the person being recommended. We look at the letters for all the substantive reasons already set out by my colleagues.

Chicago wrote: The LORs should be from people that truly know the applicant and has supervised their work...So I have to agree with my colleagues that a letter from the famous person is just helpful if they know your capabilities and work performance or if one collects autographs!

Yale wrote:even when the letter is personal, I would say the only time such a letter has carried any weight is when the person is an alum of our law school and has compared the applicant specifically to the type of people we normally admit.

SOURCE: http://www.law.nyu.edu/jdapplicants/adm ... on_letters

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Power Clean wrote:Intimacy of relationship + degree of substantive praise = value of LoR

NYU wrote:As far as letters from VIPs – usually I appreciate these because I am able to add the signatures to my autograph collection that I will sell some day on ebay when I am ready to retire. Seriously, letters from VIPs have a positive impact only if the writer shows that the candidate supervised the candidate’s work in some professional setting.

Michigan wrote:getting a letter from someone famous does not result in a different outcome for the person being recommended. We look at the letters for all the substantive reasons already set out by my colleagues.

Chicago wrote: The LORs should be from people that truly know the applicant and has supervised their work...So I have to agree with my colleagues that a letter from the famous person is just helpful if they know your capabilities and work performance or if one collects autographs!

Yale wrote:even when the letter is personal, I would say the only time such a letter has carried any weight is when the person is an alum of our law school and has compared the applicant specifically to the type of people we normally admit.

SOURCE: http://www.law.nyu.edu/jdapplicants/adm ... on_letters

d ^_^ b

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

I think you do need to point out "the obvious," actually. All you've shown so far is an ability to construct really inapt analogies as well as a remarkable ease with operating off of unsubstantiated assumptions (and terrible grammar, too). Your last statement is utterly false, so you'll need to come up with a different version of "the obvious," I'm afraid.

riku33090 wrote:And you know what my friend got into Harvard because he had a LOR from Ma Ying-Jeou, the president of Taiwan.

Did Jessica Soban tell you that he got in because of his LOR? Odds are infinitesimal that this LOR from Ma was anything close to the deciding factor in his admission to HLS.

Well, good for you then. All I am asking is whether it make a difference or not, no need to be judgmental. This is forum, not an english class i would like to think that i can talk colloquially on here without being judged.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:40 pm

riku33090 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

Well, good for you then. All I am asking is whether it make a difference or not, no need to be judgmental. This is forum, not an english class i would like to think that i can talk colloquially on here without being judged.

You absolutely can, but you can't misrepresent things here, you didn't ask if it could, you insisted strongly that it would...

tractal

Postby tractal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 pm

If you really want to go to law school take the LSAT and score as high as possible. If high as possible is anything less than 173 and you really are in a position where James Murdoch is willing to write you a LOR you should just keep working for James Murdoch.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:27 am

riku33090 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
riku33090 wrote:

You absolutely can, but you can't misrepresent things here, you didn't ask if it could, you insisted strongly that it would...

I only insisted because the guy commented said no one would care what James Murdoch have to say.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:59 am

riku33090 wrote:
riku33090 wrote:I only insisted because the guy commented said no one would care what James Murdoch have to say.

Oh well in that case...Whats the point? He was right: you asked for an answer and got one, then disagreed with it and justified your insisting otherwise by saying that you got an answer to your question that you didn't agree with :?: Why post the question?

Return to “What are my chances?”