What are my chances for $$$? 3.78/173

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JoshuaFitch

What are my chances for $$$? 3.78/173

Postby JoshuaFitch » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Last edited by JoshuaFitch on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Ziegler

Re: What are my chances for $$$? 3.78/173

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:57 pm

You can solicit schools to get merit based fee waivers. Here is a stellar thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212345

Also with apps declining and your 75th% LSAT and median-ish (for a lot of schools)GPA, you should expect a good turn out for money. I would be surprised if you didn't get a large chunk (2/3+ scholly being conservative) from Cornell (you talked about Cornell in your OP).

Start emailing for fee waivers, write really good Why law school X statements to try and mitigate YP as much as possible, and apply early.

Great numbers.

ETA This was just last years cycle.

http://mylsn.info/wsir5q

JoshuaFitch

Postby JoshuaFitch » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Last edited by JoshuaFitch on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Sure! I am a GPA twin hoping to match your LSAT.

With regards to your comment about tailoring your personal statement (I am assuming this is what you meant by letter) to each school, you can do that, or most schools allow you to submit a "why do you want to go to _____ law school" which would only need to be about 250-ish words. That would be easier than rewriting a PS 8-12 times. :D

JoshuaFitch

Postby JoshuaFitch » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Last edited by JoshuaFitch on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 pm

JoshuaFitch wrote:Travis - I hope you have some excellent luck! I hope your LSAT beats mine by a couple points to give you a nice shot at Harvard.

All,

I have one more question, but it is fairly specific and I don't know if anyone has had any experience with this. My wife will have completed her English Lit PhD by the time I begin law school. She has a fairly strong resume, but her degree institution is a non prestigious state school. Is there any chance that part of an acceptance could be a teaching position for my wife? Would it even be sane to inquire about this, or would I be laughed at? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Josh

I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking if you could leverage your acceptance to a law school into getting your wife a teaching position at said law school?

JoshuaFitch

Postby JoshuaFitch » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Last edited by JoshuaFitch on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:57 pm

JoshuaFitch wrote:Exactly. If it was a location like NYC it would be relatively easy for her to find work. But, a place like Ithaca may be difficult. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I thought it was worth asking.

No chance, man. Don't even ask.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
JoshuaFitch wrote:Exactly. If it was a location like NYC it would be relatively easy for her to find work. But, a place like Ithaca may be difficult. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I thought it was worth asking.

Malice is right. The point is, those individuals who will be looking over your application have no hiring power they are professors at the law school. Hiring and admitting are completely divorced from one another, but if you did gain acceptance your wife could mention you attend the law school in an interview/cover letter or something, but even then, it probably will not improveher job prospects at all.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Travis12 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

Malice is right. The point is, those individuals who will be looking over your application have no hiring power they are professors at the law school. Hiring and admitting are completely divorced from one another, but if you did gain acceptance your wife could mention you attend the law school in an interview/cover letter or something, but even then, it probably will not improveher job prospects at all.

Yep, this. And not sure what an English Lit PhD could teach at a law school, and undergraduate and law school admissions are going to be way different anyway.

If you are worried about YP, write a tailored short "Why X" statement and you won't have a problem for the most part, from what I hear.

Return to “What are my chances?”