chances at HYS?? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dankrom3

New

chances at HYS??

Post by dankrom3 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Hey all, as you can see this is my first post here, though I have lurked a bit. I am wondering what my chances are at HYS (I know S is unlikely, so mostly HY). I have a 176 LSAT and a 3.78 GPA from a public school. FWIW, I had a very strong upward trend my final two years, i.e. I had a 4.0 my Junior and Senior years. I also believe I have pretty decent softs that are relevant to law school, including extensive undergraduate work and research in corporate governance (~2 years), but certainly nothing earth shattering. I have been abroad working at an microfinance NGO in Asia since I graduated. The reason I post this here is that I have often heard there is a hard GPA floor of 3.8 for non URMs, which concerns me. I was wondering if my WE/LSAT/Softs could make up for the slightly low GPA. LORs will be strong, including one from a former LS prof who is well connected with many other LS profs (hoping that would help at Yale due to their process). Thank you for the help!

Edit: Also, I am a little bit less concerned with my chances at the remainder of the T14 (still concerned, never a guarantee obviously...) which is why my question pertains only to HYS. Wanted to clarify that I am not only applying to these three!

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Re: chances at HYS??

Post by Humbert Humbert » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:16 pm

dankrom3 wrote:Hey all, as you can see this is my first post here, though I have lurked a bit. I am wondering what my chances are at HYS (I know S is unlikely, so mostly HY). I have a 176 LSAT and a 3.78 GPA from a public school. FWIW, I had a very strong upward trend my final two years, i.e. I had a 4.0 my Junior and Senior years. I also believe I have pretty decent softs that are relevant to law school, including extensive undergraduate work and research in corporate governance (~2 years), but certainly nothing earth shattering. I have been abroad working at an microfinance NGO in Asia since I graduated. The reason I post this here is that I have often heard there is a hard GPA floor of 3.8 for non URMs, which concerns me. I was wondering if my WE/LSAT/Softs could make up for the slightly low GPA. LORs will be strong, including one from a former LS prof who is well connected with many other LS profs (hoping that would help at Yale due to their process). Thank you for the help!

Edit: Also, I am a little bit less concerned with my chances at the remainder of the T14 (still concerned, never a guarantee obviously...) which is why my question pertains only to HYS. Wanted to clarify that I am not only applying to these three!
In at H. As far as the other two go, who the hell knows. It's worth applying. You should definitely broaden your scope beyond these schools, regardless of your career aspirations, but especially if those aspirations are biglaw.

dankrom3

New

Post by dankrom3 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
In at H. As far as the other two go, who the hell knows. You should definitely broaden your scope beyond these schools, regardless of your career aspirations, but especially if those aspirations are biglaw.
Thanks for the reply! I actually edited my post to clarify that I am not only interested in these 3 (though I do want to enter academia). I merely would like to have my chances assessed at only these three because I am a bit more confident at my chances at the other schools I wish to apply to, though one can never be too sure. Thanks again.

rockclimber2013

New

Post by rockclimber2013 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”