Incredible softs, mediocre scores. Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
guano

Re: Incredible softs, mediocre scores. Chances?

Postby guano » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:06 am

Speaking as someone with softs at least as good as yours, I'm gonna say that your softs will make the following difference:

GPA: round up to the nearest hundredth
LSAT: add half a point. Round down

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:49 am

kwais wrote:Lol, no one actually read the OP. OP seems to understand that Stanford is out of reach. These softs are not insignificant and will possibly allow OP to snag some non-HYS schools. As someone at a CCN, I can tell you that no, these are not normal softs. The TLS echo chamber is getting a little silly.

They may not be insignificant, but they're also not "incredible." Not even close, really.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 am

I wish mumofcad hadn't deleted her info so that people could see an example of incredible softs, if only for perspective

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:35 am

Redfactor wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Hey,

Your intense political involvement and consulting experience could work in your favor (lol at the RNC though.) What does "worked in parliament" mean? Or "cancer legislation?" These are boilerplate softs that could range from significant to entirely meaningless depending on the rigor and degree

No one really cares about UG grants & leadership in clubs.

Lol "Public ivy"? So Mich, UVA, or Cal: Probably UVA given your apparent conservative activism. First Id stop trying to call it an Ivy, although I know you're trying to be descriptive.

Why don't you retake the LSAT? You're out at HYS due to GPA, but everything else is in play with a 172+. With your years of experience, it would be a shame to settle for sticker at UCLA or Cornell/GULC, which is the best place you'd be headed now.

You're coming off as a jerk.

1) If you have no idea what his softs really entail, then I would suggest you not dismiss them so quickly.
2) OP didn't create the term Public Ivy. It's been around probably longer than you've been on the planet. This wasn't an ego thing by OP - it's to reference the caliber of school.

1) Note that I am not dismissing the "softs". Ive ID'd what will matter (and provide a boost), what will not, and what could be significant depending on the exact position and extent of involvement. If OP shadow co-authored a bill that was enacted by Congress and received public recognition for it, thats a far cry from having volunteered and handed out a few dozen fliers in his community or picketing his local representative to vote. These would both fit the description.

Moreover, if I seemed like a jerk, it was to bring the OP a dose of reality. A senate campaign does not double up on lead researcher for any area, even niche specializations like urban planning or african foreign aid. Having worked on a campaign of a lower magnitude, I can tell you that even for a state senate or local mayoral race, a team would be dedicated to policy and field research/data mining without overlap. To work on 8 senate campaigns, there's either an exaggeration, or OP is at least 45 years old. Others in this thread have pointed to the problematic structure of the "softs" description. Im simply asking for elaboration.

2) Tons of people describe their college without saying public ivy. I acknowledged that OP was simply trying to be descriptive -- see above -- but they could say T30 public, or after a few searches see that it really wont matter at all where he/she studied for their bachelors. I guess the whole politics of reaction +"Ivy" + bloated WE + thinly veiled arrogance turned me the wrong way, and for any judgement, I apologize.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 am

Come on, OP. if you want to troll well, at least make your softs plausible. Major role in 30 congressional campaigns? Mmkay.

goldenboy514

Postby goldenboy514 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:26 pm

cant believe more ppl arent calling troll on this...anytime I see facebook and walmart its a dead giveaway imo. troll

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:32 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Come on, OP. if you want to troll well, at least make your softs plausible. Major role in 30 congressional campaigns? Mmkay.

maybe they're state congressional campaigns... and maybe it's a state like alaska

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:39 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Redfactor wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Hey,

Your intense political involvement and consulting experience could work in your favor (lol at the RNC though.) What does "worked in parliament" mean? Or "cancer legislation?" These are boilerplate softs that could range from significant to entirely meaningless depending on the rigor and degree

No one really cares about UG grants & leadership in clubs.

Lol "Public ivy"? So Mich, UVA, or Cal: Probably UVA given your apparent conservative activism. First Id stop trying to call it an Ivy, although I know you're trying to be descriptive.

Why don't you retake the LSAT? You're out at HYS due to GPA, but everything else is in play with a 172+. With your years of experience, it would be a shame to settle for sticker at UCLA or Cornell/GULC, which is the best place you'd be headed now.

You're coming off as a jerk.

1) If you have no idea what his softs really entail, then I would suggest you not dismiss them so quickly.
2) OP didn't create the term Public Ivy. It's been around probably longer than you've been on the planet. This wasn't an ego thing by OP - it's to reference the caliber of school.

1) Note that I am not dismissing the "softs". Ive ID'd what will matter (and provide a boost), what will not, and what could be significant depending on the exact position and extent of involvement. If OP shadow co-authored a bill that was enacted by Congress and received public recognition for it, thats a far cry from having volunteered and handed out a few dozen fliers in his community or picketing his local representative to vote. These would both fit the description.

Moreover, if I seemed like a jerk, it was to bring the OP a dose of reality. A senate campaign does not double up on lead researcher for any area, even niche specializations like urban planning or african foreign aid. Having worked on a campaign of a lower magnitude, I can tell you that even for a state senate or local mayoral race, a team would be dedicated to policy and field research/data mining without overlap. To work on 8 senate campaigns, there's either an exaggeration, or OP is at least 45 years old. Others in this thread have pointed to the problematic structure of the "softs" description. Im simply asking for elaboration.

2) Tons of people describe their college without saying public ivy. I acknowledged that OP was simply trying to be descriptive -- see above -- but they could say T30 public, or after a few searches see that it really wont matter at all where he/she studied for their bachelors. I guess the whole politics of reaction +"Ivy" + bloated WE + thinly veiled arrogance turned me the wrong way, and for any judgement, I apologize.

"Ivy" is a specific group of schools that are all private. There is no "public Ivy," it's just a made-up term to make entitled millenials feel better about not getting into an actual Ivy League school.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:52 pm

So how was working for Ron Paul?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:50 pm

PDaddy wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
AnonJohn wrote:LSAT 167
Gpa 3.5, not counting freshman year 3.7
Public ivy
-student government leader
-Worked in parliament in the UK
-interned at the RNC
-Received a research grant
-Won a presidential fellowship with a published paper
-worked at the highest levels on three presidential campaigns, over a dozen congressional campaigns, 8 senate campains, most of which I was responsible for the entire research division.
-ran a successful campaign to pass major cancer legislation.
-political cosultant for Facebook and Walmart
Rec letters from a partner, a member of congress, and the dean

This is all ad coms see. If you want a top school:

Retake.

If you want a T1 with $$$, I'd say your chances are pretty good.

You need to realize that softs don't matter unless you have the stats first. These schools will always take a guy with superior hard numbers and shiTTTy softs over you.. That's why they call them softs.

I disagree, and my disagreement is based on significant observational experience. They are called "softs" because, unlike GPA's and LSAT's, they are not measurable by numbers. They are intangible's, but that makes them no less valuable. Secondly, one need not have the stats in order for softs to be game-changers.

The typical Harvard reject has the numbers but shiTTTy softs, and winds up at Duke or Virginia, or maybe even BU - aka the "Harvard Reject School of Law".

As long as an applicant is within range (say 25th percentile), exceptional softs should encourage him to apply. Strong likelihood of being rejected does not mean that OP has absolutely no chance. Adcoms give more weight to soft factors than most people here believe. Of course this is more true for URM's than mon-URM's, but it still remains true.

OP is like a Dennis Rodman. He could score well enough to play in the NBA, but he was never relied upon for that purpose. Most admitted students bolster a school's numbers as well as add to classroom discussions, etc. OP wont be relied upon to boost Harvard's numbers, but the adcom might nevertheless love his experiences. Maybe adcoms will see something special in OP that warrants admission. Clearly he can do the work!

I thought OP was going to run away with asshole of the thread, but a challenger appears!

Postby 062914123 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Retake

Also if you actually did all that stuff you clearly weren't very involved in any of it (unless, as someone else pointed out, you're an old), you just participated in a bunch of crap to fill up a resume with a bunch of crap. Ad coms aren't going to care.

Return to “What are my chances?”