174 (retake) 159 (first time); 3.83

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
andapieceoftoast

174 (retake) 159 (first time); 3.83

Postby andapieceoftoast » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24 am

Last edited by andapieceoftoast on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Re: 174 (retake) 159 (first time); 3.83

Postby wtrc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:14 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:Studied on my own the first time (was PTing mid-upper 160s) and freaked out on test day.
Retook 1.5 yrs later with class and got 174.
Technically with my study abroad semester my GPA is 3.81 but I got those credits from a completely different college so it's not reflected in my degree school's transcript besides other than a notation for neutral transfer credits (treated like AP credits).

Chances for YHS? I know that for my top stats I should have a chance, but just want your opinions on how the abysmal first LSAT attempt will factor in.

PS - I've worked at DOJ since Aug 2012 (only relevant soft)

It doesn't matter that the GPA is not reflected in the degree school transcript. LSAC recalculates everything. Because of LSAC recalculating A-'s as a 3.66 (as opposed to my UG which treated, at the time, anything in A range as 4.0 and B range as 3.0, etc), my GPA fell by 0.15..

So you have a 3.81 and 174. The 159 won't hurt at Harvard, probably won't hurt at Stanford, could hurt at Yale. Of those three I would be pretty surprised if you didn't get into at least one of H or S this cycle. Enjoy!

BammBamm

Postby BammBamm » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:16 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
It doesn't matter that the GPA is not reflected in the degree school transcript. LSAC recalculates everything. Because of LSAC recalculating A-'s as a 3.66 (as opposed to my UG which treated, at the time, anything in A range as 4.0 and B range as 3.0, etc), my GPA fell by 0.15..

So you have a 3.81 and 174. The 159 won't hurt at Harvard, probably won't hurt at Stanford, could hurt at Yale. Of those three I would be pretty surprised if you didn't get into at least one of H or S this cycle. Enjoy!

Wow :shock: that's nuts man

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:26 pm

BammBamm wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

Last edited by andapieceoftoast on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:00 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:
BammBamm wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

Wow...I guess that's what I get for studying abroad in dumb France...and getting mono while I was there >:P (jk to any Frenchies out there...love yaaa)

Ahh ok - will make sure I'm working with my correct stats from here on out. Hoping for the best and thanks for your help!!

Haha, before I started college I took a year off and took a few courses in Israel while I was there. I have the same issue. Good luck!

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:22 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote: The 159 won't hurt at Harvard, probably won't hurt at Stanford, could hurt at Yale.

I never understand where this sort of confident assertion comes from, and I think it's likely quite misleading. The fact is, we have very little information about how these schools treat retakers. There are plenty of anecdotal examples of Harvard absolutely taking retakes into consideration. For myself, I can tell you that during my JS1 I was explicitly asked to explain a much lower first score. Furthermore, Stanford, of course, has far lower LSAT cutoffs than HY, which would suggest that they would put less emphasis on a retake.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:12 pm

The impression I got was a retake would only hurt if there was not significant improvement. This guy clearly has shown that his first grade was a fluke and/or not an indication of his actual potential. (and by hurt I mean only in a context where anyone would even give a shit if you retook.)

It hurts my brain to think someone in admissions ANYWHERE would really be thinking, "hmmm 174, but he did get a 159 the first time..."

ThetaX

Postby ThetaX » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:19 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:The impression I got was a retake would only hurt if there was not significant improvement. This guy clearly has shown that his first grade was a fluke and/or not an indication of his actual potential. (and by hurt I mean only in a context where anyone would even give a shit if you retook.)

It hurts my brain to think someone in admissions ANYWHERE would really be thinking, "hmmm 174, but he did get a 159 the first time..."

This scenario would only be relevant when comparing extremely similar candidates, one of which received a 174 on the first try.

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:43 pm

--
Last edited by andapieceoftoast on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:31 pm

cerealdan wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote: The 159 won't hurt at Harvard, probably won't hurt at Stanford, could hurt at Yale.

I never understand where this sort of confident assertion comes from, and I think it's likely quite misleading. The fact is, we have very little information about how these schools treat retakers. There are plenty of anecdotal examples of Harvard absolutely taking retakes into consideration. For myself, I can tell you that during my JS1 I was explicitly asked to explain a much lower first score. Furthermore, Stanford, of course, has far lower LSAT cutoffs than HY, which would suggest that they would put less emphasis on a retake.

Law School Adcomms care about rankings and medians. Yeah, a retake or two are negative softs. But highest is reported, and while there are rare anecdotal examples of people with a high score not getting in (possibly because of a low retake), IMO there are way more anecdotal examples of lower scores not mattering. I personally talked to 2 people that scored under 160 (one a 152!) on a first take but it didn't really matter for them.

Having said all that- I am biased... I scored a 166 then 167 when I expected mid 170's. Soo...

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:10 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
Law School Adcomms care about rankings and medians. Yeah, a retake or two are negative softs. But highest is reported, and while there are rare anecdotal examples of people with a high score not getting in (possibly because of a low retake), IMO there are way more anecdotal examples of lower scores not mattering. I personally talked to 2 people that scored under 160 (one a 152!) on a first take but it didn't really matter for them.

Having said all that- I am biased... I scored a 166 then 167 when I expected mid 170's. Soo...

What I was responding to was your purported ranking of H, S, and Y in terms of how much each cared about the retake, not a general claim that a retake is unlikely to make much difference. (I would readily agree with the latter point.)

Return to “What are my chances?”