173 LSAT, 2.7 GPA.... 750 GMAT.. Need a career coach

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
banerkguy

173 LSAT, 2.7 GPA.... 750 GMAT.. Need a career coach

Postby banerkguy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:01 pm

Like the title says I have 173 LSAT and 2.7 LSAC GPA. I recently received my GMAT score and scored a 750.

I'm trying to decide if I should go to law school, or wait two years and go to business school.
I'm going to summarize this the best I can, so it's not a wall of text.

If applying to law school stats:
173 LSAT
2 years work experience with a fortune 500 company
Volunteer work - Board member of Non-profit - Eagle Scout
First generation college student

If applying to business school:
750 GMAT
2.86 GPA
1 year fortune 500 company
2 years international teaching experience : South Korea (set to leave in October) and Germany (After SK)
Foreign languages: Korean and French
Volunteer work - Eagle Scout - Board member of Non-Profit
First generation college student

** Started a non-profit for former foster children who can't pay for college. Basically it's a grant for rent, food, and books.

So, basically will I get in a better law school or B-school? Is it worth applying to law school even if I'm a auto ding at most the t-14?

What do you guys think?

Ramius

Re: 173 LSAT, 2.7 GPA.... 750 GMAT.. Need a career coach

Postby Ramius » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:09 pm

How badly do you want to be a lawyer? If its a question of prestige and earning power, the MBA you get with that GMAT and W/E will probably be more valuable. Your GPA is low enough where you'll be out at the top programs while completely in play at the next level of prestige. Your law school cycle would be somewhat unpredictable as a firm splitter with particular opportunity at GULC and NU with a shot at UVA.

What are your specific goals and opportunity costs here?

banerkguy

Postby banerkguy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:25 pm

If I went the law school route I'd like to do health law and get an MPH. I think with the new health care bill, there's going to be a good amount of job openings. I also like the idea that the JD offers a permanent job (You're always a lawyer). You can also always start your own firm.

The business route I'd like to be a consultant for both energy finance and non-profit. I think being tri-lingual I'd like to do international business as well.

Speaking with an MBA consultant, I'd have a realistic chance of getting into Yale, Insead, Cornell, Dartmouth, Rice, and Cambridge for my MBA. Due to the GMAT and unique work experience.

My problem with applying to law school is the GPA will never be overlooked. I could cure cancer, but still never get into say YHSCC

It's definitely a tough decision.

guano

Postby guano » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:33 pm

banerkguy wrote:If I went the law school route I'd like to do health law and get an MPH. I think with the new health care bill, there's going to be a good amount of job openings. I also like the idea that the JD offers a permanent job (You're always a lawyer). You can also always start your own firm.

The business route I'd like to be a consultant for both energy finance and non-profit. I think being tri-lingual I'd like to do international business as well.

Speaking with an MBA consultant, I'd have a realistic chance of getting into Yale, Insead, Cornell, Dartmouth, Rice, and Cambridge for my MBA. Due to the GMAT and unique work experience.

My problem with applying to law school is the GPA will never be overlooked. I could cure cancer, but still never get into say YHSCC

It's definitely a tough decision.

Based on your goals and experience, I wouldn't recommend Yale, Cornell, Dartmouth or Rice. Insead is probably not a bad idea, nor is Cambridge, but I'm not familiar enough with EU MBAs to say for sure

banerkguy

Postby banerkguy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Cambridge, HEC Paris, and Insead are defiantely possibilties.

I think my goal is to get a consulting position with McKinsey and Company. I believe my international experience and language skills would get me into a global management firm. Dartmouth, Virginia, and Duke are strong options for this.

I think I've made my decision on law school vs. B-school :D.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Your reasons for getting an MBA are great and your reasons for getting a JD suck. Thus, go for the MBA. Starting your own non-profit will help B-schools forget about that GPA.

banerkguy

Postby banerkguy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Looking at Duke, Oxbirdge, Insead, Yale, Dartmouth, and Virginia for b-school.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:45 pm

So what did you decide to do finally?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Wait what? Do you actually have a job offer at a F500? Are these scores even real?

Return to “What are my chances?”