ED? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
elastigirl

New

ED?

Post by elastigirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Suggestions?
Last edited by elastigirl on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Re: Should I ED with 170 LSAT 3.82 GPA?

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:57 pm

why no NYU?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm

hmmm... a couple more LSAT points and you're looking at HYS

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:11 pm

No. Apply as is to the entire top 14 and then retake in October. You will get large scholarships without ED and you have a shot at the NU fill ride even without ED (I got one without ED'ing last year and only a slightly higher GPA. I also blew off my interview).

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Unless you are planning to retake, you can cross off HYS. You're most likely in at NYU so I'm not sure why it's absent from your list. Also, what are your goals?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elastigirl

New

Post by elastigirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm not interested in NYU and am not retaking the LSAT. I'm interested in suggestions just for the schools I'm interested in with my current stats as is. I have done my research, and these are the options I am aiming for. I want to guarantee myself a spot at one of my choices and am debating whether to ED.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:25 pm

elastigirl wrote:I'm not interested in NYU and am not retaking the LSAT. I'm interested in suggestions just for the schools I'm interested in with my current stats as is. I have done my research, and these are the options I am aiming for. I want to guarantee myself a spot at one of my choices and am debating whether to ED.
Yeah, we gathered that from the OP. As much as I hate to agree with Mal Reynolds, I'm 100% with him on this one.
Last edited by elterrible78 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:26 pm

elastigirl wrote:I'm not interested in NYU and am not retaking the LSAT. I'm interested in suggestions just for the schools I'm interested in with my current stats as is. I have done my research, and these are the options I am aiming for. I want to guarantee myself a spot at one of my choices and am debating whether to ED.
OK, then, two suggestions:

1) Save money on apps by forgetting about HYS
2) Respond with your career goals

elastigirl

New

Post by elastigirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Work in corporate litigation law straight out of law school for a few years, then branch out from there, possibly government, consulting.
In short, I plan to work in the private sector first and then use that as leverage to do something long-term in a more family-work-life balance friendly place (I've always been interested in criminal justice).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:26 pm

So you want big law. Why is NYU not on your list then?

elastigirl

New

Post by elastigirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Location-wise, NYU is not my preference. I like Columbia's curriculum though.
Last edited by elastigirl on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:02 pm

elastigirl wrote:Location-wise, NYU is not my preference. I like Columbia's curriculum though. My top choice realistically is absolutely UChicago.
UChi is going to be tough without a retake...

elastigirl

New

Post by elastigirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Cool, thanks
Last edited by elastigirl on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:23 pm

If you want Chicago biglaw, ED NU. (I'm assuming this because you want biglaw and seem to make a thing of geographic location being important with your #1 choice being UChi)

The risk of missing it by applying widely versus EDing and preparing very intently for the interview are likely noticeable (though statistics don't exist for this)

UChi and NU for your goals are close to equal and it would be very hard to get into UChi under both medians. And if you did, that would be near sticker. Going to sticker at UChi versus a full ride at NU for your goals is not advisable.

You should apply widely (including NYU if only to leverage $$ from other schools) from SCCN and down. If you want, throw a hail marry to H. This route being your backup.

ED NU.

megaragirl

New

Post by megaragirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:37 pm

What about the Chicago Law Scholars Program? I have very similar stats as elastigirl (same LSAT score and close GPA) and would be eligible for that program. It gives scholarships for UChicago alumni and is a binding early decision program.
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... awscholars
I wonder how that stacks up to the regular ED program.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:42 pm

megaragirl wrote:What about the Chicago Law Scholars Program? I have very similar stats as elastigirl (same LSAT score and close GPA) and would be eligible for that program. It gives scholarships for UChicago alumni and is a binding early decision program.
They would likely give you a pass for the GPA and that may be enough to get you in ED. But you are still under both medians so it really will be difficult without breaking 171.

How much is the scholarship amount? Attending UChi at near sticker versus NU ED with the full ride seems foolish for almost any applicant

megaragirl

New

Post by megaragirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Looks like the program gives full scholarships or at least a high discount on tuition, at least 50% would be my bet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:40 pm

megaragirl wrote:Looks like the program gives full scholarships or at least a high discount on tuition, at least 50% would be my bet.
The page you link to says that applicants under the program are eligible for scholarships - I don't see anywhere that it says that anyone is guaranteed a scholarship in any amount. Where are you getting this information from?

Everyone is "eligible for substantial merit scholarships" regardless of whether or not they use this program.

If you're a Chicago undergrad and UChicago is unequivocally your top choice school then go for it... but please don't do so with the expectation of a large scholarship unless you're seeing something that I'm not that guarantees it.

megaragirl

New

Post by megaragirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Inside sources from the school. Substantial merit scholarship is highly likely.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:46 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 pm

You want these schools but you aren't willing to do the work to get in?

Does being a Chicago alum give you an admissions boost at Chicago? It might and coupled with that scholarship you might have a good shot.

I'm just going to emphasize that you should consider NYU as well. This difference in curriculum is some bullshit you have been reading. NYU can get you to your goal and you shouldn't discount them.

One question: I was confused by your saying you want as many schools as possible and then asking about ED. Which is it that you want: a number of schools admitting you or an early decision?

You seem too rigid in knowing what you think you want. This forum has plenty of smart people who are willing to help you. You shouldn't close your mind from accepting and considering good advice based on experience and knowledge of admission statistics.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 pm

NYstate wrote:You want these schools but you aren't willing to do the work to get in?

Does being a Chicago alum give you an admissions boost at Chicago? It might and coupled with that scholarship you might have a good shot.

I'm just going to emphasize that you should consider NYU as well. This difference in curriculum is some bullshit you have been reading. NYU can get you to your goal and you shouldn't discount them.

One question: I was confused by your saying you want as many schools as possible and then asking about ED. Which is it that you want: a number of schools admitting you or an early decision?

You seem too rigid in knowing what you think you want. This forum has plenty of smart people who are willing to help you. You shouldn't close your mind from accepting and considering good advice based on experience and knowledge of admission statistics.
OP, read this entire post again. Read the bolded parts three or four more times.

Your "research" is nothing against the knowledge of people who actually attend these schools. You know just enough to be dangerous.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Retake

akg144

Bronze

Post by akg144 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 am

sinfiery wrote:
megaragirl wrote:What about the Chicago Law Scholars Program? I have very similar stats as elastigirl (same LSAT score and close GPA) and would be eligible for that program. It gives scholarships for UChicago alumni and is a binding early decision program.
They would likely give you a pass for the GPA and that may be enough to get you in ED. But you are still under both medians so it really will be difficult without breaking 171.

How much is the scholarship amount? Attending UChi at near sticker versus NU ED with the full ride seems foolish for almost any applicant
^ This

akg144

Bronze

Post by akg144 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 am

BigZuck wrote:Retake
And this ^

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”