2.97, 173, non URM - ED penn?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: 2.97, 173, non URM - ED penn?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:31 pm

elterrible78 wrote:There are a couple problems with this, actually. One is that the GPA ranges are enormous, and another is that aside from numbers (which are only very loosely controlled for), the only other factor controlled for is URM status. Based on my analysis (which controls much more strictly for numbers, as well as for URM and nontrad status, gender, ED vs RD, and timing of the application), there actually IS a very significant boost for splitters who apply as early as possible, which might (along with the whole GPA thing) be accounting for the differences in those charts.

I'm not suggesting those charts prove anything one way or another. The ranges are quite large, and were they to narrow the sample size would be extraordinarily small.

But if you're saying that your analysis of the data suggests that splitters who ED early fare better than they otherwise would, it sounds like we agree.

elterrible78

Re: 2.97, 173, non URM - ED penn?

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:There are a couple problems with this, actually. One is that the GPA ranges are enormous, and another is that aside from numbers (which are only very loosely controlled for), the only other factor controlled for is URM status. Based on my analysis (which controls much more strictly for numbers, as well as for URM and nontrad status, gender, ED vs RD, and timing of the application), there actually IS a very significant boost for splitters who apply as early as possible, which might (along with the whole GPA thing) be accounting for the differences in those charts.

I'm not suggesting those charts prove anything one way or another. The ranges are quite large, and were they to narrow the sample size would be extraordinarily small.

But if you're saying that your analysis of the data suggests that splitters who ED early fare better than they otherwise would, it sounds like we agree.

That's the way it sounds. The only thing is, I definitely lean towards thinking it was more the "getting the app in early" part than the ED part.

Return to “What are my chances?”