My past is haunting me! Do I still have a chance??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cchung912

My past is haunting me! Do I still have a chance??

Postby cchung912 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi guys! I would truly appreciate some responses after reading my current situation! :D I

I am a 26 year old female currently working as a business manager of a law firm. I have been working full-time (40 hrs/wk.) in addition to going to school full-time since 2011. My past is a bit crazy and unusual, so I was hoping to get some feedback/comments as to what you all think. It's quite a long and messed up history, so please bare with me!

-Joined military (reserves) as high school junior at 17 years old

-Fall 2005 - spring 2006: attempted community college (#1) fresh out of high school and got HORRIBLE grades (1.68 GPA)
-Fall 2006: registered & withdrew (all Ws)
-Spring 2007: moved to different state with parents and attended community college (#2) and got better GPA, but still horrible (3.14 GPA)
-Fall 2007: moved back to hometown and attended different community college (#3) during fall 2007 and got straight Fs (0.00 GPA)
-Parents hit major financial trough and was "forced" to quit school because they no longer could afford it
-Sept. 2010: started at law firm as assistant and became interested in becoming attorney
-Spring 2011 - spring 2012: ~4 years since last college; saved up and registered for classes at same previous community college #3 (retook same courses to replace straight Fs); joined Phi Theta Kappa; obtained A.S. and graduated summa cum laude (3.81 GPA)
-Fall 2012 - current: transferred to George Mason University to obtain bachelor's degree; expected to graduate May 2014 (current GPA 3.85)

-Joined Phi Alpha Delta and Golden Key; am a volunteer at Open Door Church (food drives, child care, etc.), donate clothes, foods, toys, etc. during Christmas to local charity

I wish I could participate more actively on campus and offer more of my time to charities, but having full-time school AND work really limits my "spare" time.

What I am worried about mainly is obviously my GPA. I am aware that the LSAC re-calculates and puts into the equation ALL prior grades, regardless if you retook any courses that the institute replaced entirely. For example, as you can see above, I received straight Fs during fall of 2007, which made my GPA 0.0. I then retook these courses, which made my GPA 3.5. According to this institute, those straight Fs "never happened" and are replaced with the newer grades. Another issue I face is with the horrible grades and 1.68 GPA I got at community college #1. Although it was from ~8 years ago, it will still be calculated into my overall GPA.

Sadly, with all my previous grades calculated into my GPA, I suspect it will be roughly around 3.2. Obviously, with not having a score for my LSAT yet, it is hard to tell what's possible for me. However, if we assume I get somewhere in the mid 160s, would be it a possible for me to get accepted to Georgetown??

Some say that although this newly calculated GPA will be low, they will take into account the great upward trend in grades and also look at how long ago the failing grades were from.

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING!! I really appreciate your time. Please post your thoughts!! =)

t-14orbust

Re: My past is haunting me! Do I still have a chance??

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 pm

When you say those F's 'never happened,' does that mean they are not on your transcript? If they aren't on the transcript LSAC won't calculate them. If they are, then you'll have to play the cards you're dealt.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Adcomms like upward grade trends but they won't make up for a bad GPA because of USNWR. Expect a wild cycle as a super-splitter if you do well on the LSAT.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:13 pm

t-14orbust wrote:When you say those F's 'never happened,' does that mean they are not on your transcript? If they aren't on the transcript LSAC won't calculate them. If they are, then you'll have to play the cards you're dealt.

This. If LSAC can't see the Fs, they won't calculate them. If they're still on paper, they will.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:14 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:Adcomms like upward grade trends but they won't make up for a bad GPA because of USNWR. Expect a wild cycle as a super-splitter if you do well on the LSAT.

A 3.2 isn't a super splitter.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Does it actually cost money to start an LSAC profile? if not, I'd open one up and submit your ugrad transcripts to it, and see what GPA shows up.

In any case, you are correct that it is very difficult to gauge what your options are without an LSAT score, but knowing that, you should be setting your sights way higher! A great LSAT score can open up the T14, so aim for that 170+!

cchung912

Postby cchung912 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:19 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:Adcomms like upward grade trends but they won't make up for a bad GPA because of USNWR. Expect a wild cycle as a super-splitter if you do well on the LSAT.

Sorry, what is "USNWR"?

Thanks for your reply!

cchung912

Postby cchung912 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:20 pm

t-14orbust wrote:When you say those F's 'never happened,' does that mean they are not on your transcript? If they aren't on the transcript LSAC won't calculate them. If they are, then you'll have to play the cards you're dealt.

It does show, which is why I am so worried. Thanks for your reply!

cchung912

Postby cchung912 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks so much!

cchung912

Postby cchung912 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:Does it actually cost money to start an LSAC profile? if not, I'd open one up and submit your ugrad transcripts to it, and see what GPA shows up.

In any case, you are correct that it is very difficult to gauge what your options are without an LSAT score, but knowing that, you should be setting your sights way higher! A great LSAT score can open up the T14, so aim for that 170+!

That is an excellent idea. Thank you.

cchung912

Postby cchung912 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:22 pm

IAFG wrote:

A 3.2 isn't a super splitter.

I really need to get familiar with this lingo. What is a super splitter?? A bad GPA + good LSAT score??

Thanks!

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:28 pm

IAFG wrote:A 3.2 isn't a super splitter.

I thought whether or not a splitter was "super" depended on the gap between LSAT and GPA. Not sure why you're saying a 3.2 rules that out automatically when OP doesn't even have an LSAT...

ETA: OP USNWR is U.S. News & World Report. They publish law school rankings and one major factor is LSAT/GPA.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:32 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
IAFG wrote:A 3.2 isn't a super splitter.

I thought whether or not a splitter was "super" depended on the gap between LSAT and GPA. Not sure why you're saying a 3.2 rules that out automatically when OP doesn't even have an LSAT...

ETA: OP USNWR is U.S. News & World Report. They publish law school rankings and one major factor is LSAT/GPA.

Super splitter is sub-3.0. OP should have a fairly predictable cycle.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:42 pm

IAFG wrote:Super splitter is sub-3.0. OP should have a fairly predictable cycle.

Meh

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:51 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
IAFG wrote:Super splitter is sub-3.0. OP should have a fairly predictable cycle.

Meh

Predictable doesn't mean good.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:56 pm

cchung912 wrote:

It does show, which is why I am so worried. Thanks for your reply!

Sounds like it'll be a lot worse than a 3.2.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:

Meh

Don't you need to do this as an LSAT range (let's say 170-180) in order to make it useful?
It may just be that there were no applicants with that exact combo at some schools.

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:24 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:

Meh

Don't you need to do this as an LSAT range (let's say 170-180) in order to make it useful?
It may just be that there were no applicants with that exact combo at some schools.

When I did mylsn for myself it pulled up people with similar stats and didn't only show my exact numbers

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:23 am

mojangles wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:

Meh

When I did mylsn for myself it pulled up people with similar stats and didn't only show my exact numbers

The confusion is between the automatic search and a manual search.

In an automatic search, the user will enter an individual LSAT score and GPA and any other specifications (URM, ED, etc.) and the computer will automatically calibrate the range and cycles used for each school in an attempt to find a balance between sample size and precision. It will also make an effort to avoid crossing medians.

For some searches this returns bad results... in this case, though, I think it worked pretty well.

In a manual search, you must manually specify an LSAT and GPA range and this range is applied to all schools.

The search in that graph is an automatic search... if you click on the link and hover over the info buttons, it will tell you the criteria used for each school.

This is a relatively new feature and has caused quite a lot of confusion in this and other threads so it may be changed... if either I think of, or someone else presents me with, a workable solution (if you have ideas please PM me so we don't clutter up this thread :)) I've considered just making the automatic search off by default, but I think that for inexperienced users the automatic search will be better, and for experienced users they know to turn it off if they want to.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:05 am

However, if we assume I get somewhere in the mid 160s, would be it a possible for me to get accepted to Georgetown??

This is the most important part of your post.

In short, no. Try a lot harder than a "mid 160 score."

Also, a better-than-3.0 and a 171+ LSAT gives you a pretty solid shot at UVA via ED.

Return to “What are my chances?”