Need Advice on the next 8 months Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Wasow001

New

Need Advice on the next 8 months

Post by Wasow001 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:23 am

I will be applying to Law School in Fall 2014.
I plan to re take the LSAT 8 months from now.

Here are my stats.

Prior service USMC Veteran (Honorable Discharge)
2010 B.A (California State School) 3.35GPA
2013 M.S (San Diego State) 3.89GPA

I took the LSAT twice after my undergrad in 2010
1st test - Canceled my first score :(
2nd test - 143 :(

I was not ready or prepared, I should have studied more before taking the test...

I plan to study for the next 8 months before taking this LSAT...
My question is how negatively will the 143 and cancellation in 2010 affect me
I believe I can manage a 170+ this time around.

These are the schools I would like to go to.
What are my chances?

T - (1-15)
Stanford (Long Shot)
UCLA
UC Berkley
Georgetown

#21 - George Washington
#41 - George Mason
#68 - USD

nebula666

Silver

Re: Need Advice on the next 8 months

Post by nebula666 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:22 am

The older scores don't matter.

Your gpa is 3.35 so you aren't getting Stanford or Berkeley even with a 180. Even if you manage to increase your score by 27 points, you would be paying sticker at any school in the T14.

You should be figuring out which regional schools you would like to go to for close to free.

Also, come back in 8 months when you have a score. No point worrying about this now.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:19 am

First of all, thank you for your service.

Are you eligible for any education benefits, like Yellow Ribbon, from your service? For us to give you advice, we'll need to know the answer to this question.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:08 pm

What were you scoring on PTs?

I don't want to be a bummer, but keep in mind the jump you're hoping for is REALLY rare. Look at the repeater data. 0/1805 people who got a 143 got a 170+ on their retake. Only 5 got 160+, so even that would be an enormous achievement. Not trying to shit on you or anything, but you just want to make sure your expectations are realistic. You can definitely improve, but unless you had some kind of medical emergency during the last LSAT, or bubbled in the answer sheet incorrectly, odds are you won't improve that drastically.

Wish you the best of luck. Do you rate the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Wasow001

New

Post by Wasow001 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:07 pm

Yes Got the G.I post 9/11 at 100%

What about the Masters GPA 3.89 + Degree, will that factor in at all or is it worthless?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Wasow001 wrote:Yes Got the G.I post 9/11 at 100%

What about the Masters GPA 3.89 + Degree, will that factor in at all or is it worthless?
The graduate GPA is worthless, it will not factor in at all.

The good news is, even though you're a splitter, the GI Bill will make your life significantly easier. And your GPA isn't so bad that you're locked out of the T14, either. A 171 with an ED to UVA will get you in there, a 173 will probably get you in ED to NYU. Unfortunately, you're probably out at a lot of the California schools.

Good luck.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Assuming you're not the 1 out of 100000000 people who go from 143-> 170, but you do still improve, you might be in at USD. Median LSAT is like 160, but your military service might push you over the edge if you get in the high 150s. That wouldn't be the worst fate in the world if you were okay with working in San Diego long term. Unfortunately, it's private so your GI Bill wouldn't cover 100% of your costs. Would still help, though.

If you really improve dramatically and add 20 points, you'd be right at George Mason's median.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:42 pm

Damn y'all, there's a lot of bad advice and unnecessary pessimism ITT.

OP, you're not in a bad position. You have a decent GPA and GI bill that will cover a good chunk of tuition at many schools. If you focus on schools that are splitter-friendly and ones that like vets, especially publics and privates with generous Yellow Ribbon programs, you've got a good chance at landing a good school at a reasonable price.

While it's wise to start thinking about which schools you want to apply to, you should put your energy over the next few months into getting as high an LSAT as possible. If you haven't already checked out the LSAT prep board, do so - it's a very good resource. Many re-takers have found this particular thread - NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers - very helpful. W/r/t your previous experiences with the LSAT, the folks above are right - they won't count against you anywhere other than HYS. LSAC allows three sittings in any two-year period, so you'll have three more cracks at the nut.

With your GPA, you're below the floors for HYS and Berkley, but the good news is there are plenty of T14 schools that would love to have a vet with a high LSAT. If you get a 172 or above, you'll have a good chance at NYU and down. If you haven't already checked out LSN, do that as it'll give you an idea what score you need to get into a good school. You'll notice that NVPNG in particular are splitter-friendly.

Also take a look at Law School Transparency. Some of the schools you mention, like George Mason and GW, do not have a very good track record of placing their grads into good legal employment. Even though GW has an 80% employment rate on LST, the Fed Clerkships + Large Firm score is only 30% - significantly lower than the T14s and good regional schools like USC or UCLA. Generally, the higher the FedClerkships + Large Firm score, the better the school.

Good luck and hope this info helps you.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:55 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Damn y'all, there's a lot of bad advice and unnecessary pessimism ITT.
Not saying he can't improve. He almost certainly will improve. I'm pointing out that statistically, going from a 143 to a 170+ is really, really, really unlikely. Like I said, look at the repeater data. You're talking about the possibility of getting a 172 and going to NYU, when the number of people who have gone from 143 to 172 is exactly zero. I'm not trying to be a buzzkill. I'm a vet and I hope OP crushes his repeat LSAT. Just saying you also have to be realistic; unless there was something really unique that makes that 143 obviously unrepresentative, scoring in the high 150s would be quite a commendable leap for the OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”