Still in undergrad, have questions

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
KA631LGH

Still in undergrad, have questions

Postby KA631LGH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:57 pm

edit.
Last edited by KA631LGH on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Still in undergrad, have questions

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:02 pm

they don't care if you joined your flag football team (or law society for that matter), but rather only if you had some leadership/responsiblity

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 pm

LSAT and GPA are by far the most important part of any application. You also have meaningful soft factors with your WE and investment experience, so you really don't need to worry about getting involved in superficial student organizations to pad your resume.

You're definitely doing the right thing giving yourself some time between UG and law school. Don't think you can't work while you study for the LSAT though. Doing nothing but studying for a year isn't really more productive and it leaves you with a resume gap. I'd get a job with your finance degree and study at night and on the weekends. You'll have plenty of time to max out your score.

Anyway sounds like you're doing everything right, keep it up.

ETA: also if by Hispanic you mean Mexican American or Puerto Rican you will get a bump for being a URM.

KA631LGH

Postby KA631LGH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:10 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:they don't care if you joined your flag football team (or law society for that matter), but rather only if you had some leadership/responsiblity

edit
Last edited by KA631LGH on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KA631LGH

Postby KA631LGH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Cobretti wrote:LSAT and GPA are by far the most important part of any application. You also have meaningful soft factors with your WE and investment experience, so you really don't need to worry about getting involved in superficial student organizations to pad your resume.

You're definitely doing the right thing giving yourself some time between UG and law school. Don't think you can't work while you study for the LSAT though. Doing nothing but studying for a year isn't really more productive and it leaves you with a resume gap. I'd get a job with your finance degree and study at night and on the weekends. You'll have plenty of time to max out your score.

Anyway sounds like you're doing everything right, keep it up.

ETA: also if by Hispanic you mean Mexican American or Puerto Rican you will get a bump for being a URM.

thanks! ....... edit
Last edited by KA631LGH on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:47 pm

The reality is no one cares about your school activities, clubs, leadership garbage for law school admissions. You could do nothing or be a member of 20, wouldnt matter. If you want to showcase all the cool extracurriculars/athletics, apply for management consulting in september. Deloitte always loves a cocky overinvolved jock.

Work experience does matter a little depending on the type. Working through college is noted in applications to several top schools (they specifically ask if you worked for $ during school), and staying busy during summers is good. I think working as a student > bunch of BS student orgs.

Most importantly, dont sacrifice GPA (or enjoying your weekend nights out) for clubs/activities/ect.

You can pen a diversity statement, but you wont see a real URM boost.

KA631LGH

Postby KA631LGH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:48 pm

jbagelboy wrote:The reality is no one cares about your school activities, clubs, leadership garbage for law school admissions. You could do nothing or be a member of 20, wouldnt matter. If you want to showcase all the cool extracurriculars/athletics, apply for management consulting in september. Deloitte always loves a cocky overinvolved jock.

Work experience does matter a little depending on the type. Working through college is noted in applications to several top schools (they specifically ask if you worked for $ during school), and staying busy during summers is good. I think working as a student > bunch of BS student orgs.

Most importantly, dont sacrifice GPA (or enjoying your weekend nights out) for clubs/activities/ect.

Dang, kind of discouraging. If it weren't for the promotion to fund manager I would strongly consider dropping the organization. You think working at a law firm since graduating high school is noteworthy? Also, what about applying for other internships?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm

KA631LGH wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:The reality is no one cares about your school activities, clubs, leadership garbage for law school admissions. You could do nothing or be a member of 20, wouldnt matter. If you want to showcase all the cool extracurriculars/athletics, apply for management consulting in september. Deloitte always loves a cocky overinvolved jock.

Dang, kind of discouraging. If it weren't for the promotion to fund manager I would strongly consider dropping the organization. You think working at a law firm since graduating high school is noteworthy? Also, what about applying for other internships?

Yes I think working consistently (through the college year?) at a law firm will be noted, and it should make for a damn good employer LoR.

Dont be discouraged. If you have fun with the fund management thing, do it. It looks great for Ibanking and consulting gigs -- consider applying to these for summer after junior yr rather than the law firm. You'll make decent $ and it could help you get an offer with another firm after graduation if you decided to work FT before law school (usually a good call IMO). Check with your career office and go to the fall recruiting events. There are people who will take note of these leadership activities, just not really law adcoms.

Things brings me to your next question: yes, take a full year or two, and if your grades are good (3.8+), work either industry or finance; if its a known firm the experience will give you a boost at OCI. So dont be discouraged. Just dont spend a second worrying about the dumb clubs for law school. The twerks at my UG gunning for president of this and that on campus didnt get any farther than I did working/taking hard classes and I had a lot more fun

Return to “What are my chances?”