3.15 GPA-173 LSAT-Military

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
esypsylmnsqsy

Re: 3.15 GPA-173 LSAT-Military

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:56 am

Last edited by esypsylmnsqsy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

esypsylmnsqsy

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:01 am

Last edited by esypsylmnsqsy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:40 am

Cobretti wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:el terrible's analysis shows that NYU ED does not provide a significant boost. In light of that, and the fact that OP has a legit chance at NYU RD, I don't think NYU ED is a great opening play. It needlessly locks him in to a school that he would probably get anyways. At UVA, on the other hand, RD runs a real risk of a waitlist or outright rejection, so using an ED there makes more sense. Can ED to UVA up until March 1 (although after January starts getting a little late), so OP can always RD to NYU, Penn, and other T14s of interest and then ED UVA if you settle on Virginia.

OP is (to my understanding) getting a full ride at any school he gets, and his best shot is NYU. Though not a perfect shot, even if EDing offers a slight boost, it's probably worth it in OP's case because there's no way he's getting HYSCC.

Also, it does seem to me that OP stands a fairly good chance at being rejected from NYU as it is:

http://mylsn.info/tq66tc

And with limited data, clearly someone got into NYU ED:

http://mylsn.info/uhg0xh

I really see absolutely no downside to not EDing at NYU, honestly. Just don't submit your app to UVA until December if you get rejected from NYU.

TCR

Can also try round 2 ED to UPenn over UVA. Also be sure to apply RD to NU from the beginning to cover your bases.

If you really want to ED NYU, go for it. There's really no downside if you've got Post 9/11 and are going to get the rest (or most of the rest) covered through Yellow Ribbon. At the same time, don't expect there to be much upside to EDing, because there won't be. Based on LSN data, the mean LSAT for splitters who ED and are accepted to NYU is about .3 higher than the RD accepted splitters, and the GPA is a whopping .01 lower. Basically, there just isn't any demonstrable advantage to EDing, but in your situation it can't hurt.

2nd round ED should definitely be UVA and not Penn. At UVA any given splitter candidate is about 7.5 times more likely to get in ED than RD, and this advantage is statistically nonexistent at Penn.

You've got great softs and a fantastic LSAT...don't worry about that 3.15 being a dealbreaker for the T14, it's definitely not, as many have already pointed out.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:44 am

esypsylmnsqsy wrote:Also early in this thread tuition at UVA being covered by YRP was mentioned. VA website shows UVA contributing 2500 to an unlimited number of recipients.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/c ... tes/va.htm

Not immaterial but a far cry from a full ride. Am I wrong here?

Since UVA is a public school, the GI Bill will pay 100% of tuition and fees, up to the in-state rate. For out-of-state veteran students, the Yellow Ribbon program covers the additional out-of-state tuition ($2500 from the school + a matching $2500 from the government).

So yes, the GI Bill / YRP combo is a full ride to UVA, whether you're an in-state or out-of-state student.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:47 am

esypsylmnsqsy wrote:Also early in this thread tuition at UVA being covered by YRP was mentioned. VA website shows UVA contributing 2500 to an unlimited number of recipients.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/c ... tes/va.htm

Not immaterial but a far cry from a full ride. Am I wrong here?

Yes. UVA and, as of this year, Michigan will give any veteran in-state tuition. The GI Bill covers 100% of instate tuition.

Scooped!

Return to “What are my chances?”