3.15 GPA-173 LSAT-Military

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
esypsylmnsqsy

3.15 GPA-173 LSAT-Military

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:00 am

Edit: Removed identifying content
Last edited by esypsylmnsqsy on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Motivator9

Re: 3.15 GPA-173 LSAT-Military

Postby Motivator9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:11 am

Congrats on the increase! I think Northwestern looks like your best bet, however, you could ED at some of the other schools. http://mylsn.info/ef4al7

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:58 am

NU would be essentially a lock.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:29 am

ED UVA would be a very good play. V loves splitters with a high LSAT, tuition covered by Yellow Ribbon. Probably the best outcome you could expect

hohenheim

Postby hohenheim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:20 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:ED UVA would be a very good play. V loves splitters with a high LSAT, tuition covered by Yellow Ribbon. Probably the best outcome you could expect

+1 ED UVA is a great choice.

My only comment is that if there is another school that you particularly prefer, you could ED them first and then apply ED to UVA after you hear back from the first school. Check UVA's current ED language, but people last cycle were able to daisy chain their ED apps in this manner. (all that said, with your gpa I think UVA is the best realistic option)

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:15 pm

ITT: Nonsarcastic ED UVAs :D

twenty

Postby twenty » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:48 pm

If you will still get full tuition, or close to full tuition at NYU, I'd probably ED there first. The GI Bill/YRP should still cover a butt-load of tuition, and if you can manage to get 40k/yr at NYU, I'd probably take that over UVA. And you'll get both if you ED.

esypsylmnsqsy

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 am

Last edited by esypsylmnsqsy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:55 pm

NYU will happily take splitters above 172, though the 3.15 is perhaps a bit on the low side. At UVA, you can ED all the way to March 1st, whereas at NYU, your ED app has to be in by November 15th. So you ED to NYU, if you get in great, if you don't, then ED at UVA.

You basically have nothing to lose but the app fee.

esypsylmnsqsy

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:47 am

Last edited by esypsylmnsqsy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:42 am

While there isn't a lot of data, you're solidly in UVA ED territory. I don't see applying ED in December as opposed to October making a significant impact in your cycle. The chance of it making any kind of difference is less than 10%.

On the other hand, you probably have a 70%+ chance of getting into NYU.

As long as it's almost free/entirely free like UVA, ED to NYU first.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:50 am

Because this thread is very relevant to my interests- do you need to hold off on applying to UVA if you plan on Daisy chaining the ED or can you switch an RD ap to ED?

hohenheim

Postby hohenheim » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:20 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:Because this thread is very relevant to my interests- do you need to hold off on applying to UVA if you plan on Daisy chaining the ED or can you switch an RD ap to ED?

As I understand it, you can switch from RD to ED at any time (at least at UVA), but you run the risk of being waitlisted/rejected before you have the chance to do so. That's the main reason reason why people hold off on applying until they hear back from the first ED school.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:05 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:While there isn't a lot of data, you're solidly in UVA ED territory. I don't see applying ED in December as opposed to October making a significant impact in your cycle. The chance of it making any kind of difference is less than 10%.

On the other hand, you probably have a 70%+ chance of getting into NYU.

As long as it's almost free/entirely free like UVA, ED to NYU first.

el terrible's analysis shows that NYU ED does not provide a significant boost. In light of that, and the fact that OP has a legit chance at NYU RD, I don't think NYU ED is a great opening play. It needlessly locks him in to a school that he would probably get anyways. At UVA, on the other hand, RD runs a real risk of a waitlist or outright rejection, so using an ED there makes more sense. Can ED to UVA up until March 1 (although after January starts getting a little late), so OP can always RD to NYU, Penn, and other T14s of interest and then ED UVA if you settle on Virginia.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:el terrible's analysis shows that NYU ED does not provide a significant boost. In light of that, and the fact that OP has a legit chance at NYU RD, I don't think NYU ED is a great opening play. It needlessly locks him in to a school that he would probably get anyways. At UVA, on the other hand, RD runs a real risk of a waitlist or outright rejection, so using an ED there makes more sense. Can ED to UVA up until March 1 (although after January starts getting a little late), so OP can always RD to NYU, Penn, and other T14s of interest and then ED UVA if you settle on Virginia.

OP is (to my understanding) getting a full ride at any school he gets, and his best shot is NYU. Though not a perfect shot, even if EDing offers a slight boost, it's probably worth it in OP's case because there's no way he's getting HYSCC.

Also, it does seem to me that OP stands a fairly good chance at being rejected from NYU as it is:

http://mylsn.info/tq66tc

And with limited data, clearly someone got into NYU ED:

http://mylsn.info/uhg0xh

I really see absolutely no downside to not EDing at NYU, honestly. Just don't submit your app to UVA until December if you get rejected from NYU.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:08 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:el terrible's analysis shows that NYU ED does not provide a significant boost. In light of that, and the fact that OP has a legit chance at NYU RD, I don't think NYU ED is a great opening play. It needlessly locks him in to a school that he would probably get anyways. At UVA, on the other hand, RD runs a real risk of a waitlist or outright rejection, so using an ED there makes more sense. Can ED to UVA up until March 1 (although after January starts getting a little late), so OP can always RD to NYU, Penn, and other T14s of interest and then ED UVA if you settle on Virginia.

OP is (to my understanding) getting a full ride at any school he gets, and his best shot is NYU. Though not a perfect shot, even if EDing offers a slight boost, it's probably worth it in OP's case because there's no way he's getting HYSCC.

Also, it does seem to me that OP stands a fairly good chance at being rejected from NYU as it is:

http://mylsn.info/tq66tc

And with limited data, clearly someone got into NYU ED:

http://mylsn.info/uhg0xh

I really see absolutely no downside to not EDing at NYU, honestly. Just don't submit your app to UVA until December if you get rejected from NYU.

TCR

Can also try round 2 ED to UPenn over UVA. Also be sure to apply RD to NU from the beginning to cover your bases.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Glad to see another veteran.

Do you have a clear first choice? If you do, ED is a very good idea as long as that school participate well in YRP. If you ED to any T14, I think you have a very good chance. Believe or not, military experience with high end LSAT is welcome at most schools. Just make sure you write PS well in relation to military experience. As long as your PS is good, you have very good chance at any ED. Good luck!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:53 pm

0831kf wrote:Glad to see another veteran.

Do you have a clear first choice? If you do, ED is a very good idea as long as that school participate well in YRP. If you ED to any T14, I think you have a very good chance. Believe or not, military experience with high end LSAT is welcome at most schools. Just make sure you write PS well in relation to military experience. As long as your PS is good, you have very good chance at any ED. Good luck!

Suggesting he as a very good chance at any ED is wrong man, advice like this could very well shape someones cycle.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:

Suggesting he as a very good chance at any ED is wrong man, advice like this could very well shape someones cycle.

I may have overstated. You have very good chance at any ED except Berkeley, Columbia, and Chicago (HYS don't have ED, as far as I know). All the other schools, you have very good chance. If you guys look at mylsn.com, a lot of people who get into T14 without a very good number, other than URM, are ex-military. Military experience can be a very strong soft as long as you write a good PS.

If you have clear cut first choice, ED there and be ready to RD throughout T14. No need to apply to non-T14 other than "your" regional flagship school.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:27 pm

0831kf wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:

I may have overstated. You have very good chance at any ED except Berkeley, Columbia, and Chicago (HYS don't have ED, as far as I know). All the other schools, you have very good chance. If you guys look at mylsn.com, a lot of people who get into T14 without a very good number, other than URM, are ex-military. Military experience can be a very strong soft as long as you write a good PS.

If you have clear cut first choice, ED there and be ready to RD throughout T14. No need to apply to non-T14 other than "your" regional flagship school.

Nyu would be a huge stretch as well. Basically 7-14, with the only very likely options being uva and nu.

esypsylmnsqsy

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Last edited by esypsylmnsqsy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

esypsylmnsqsy

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:48 am

Last edited by esypsylmnsqsy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:55 am

esypsylmnsqsy wrote:This follow on question is obviously subjective, but in the opinions of this forum, is a binding ED application better used to increase the chances of admission at a school that would likely not otherwise admit me (e.g. NYU, UVA), or to increase the chances of admission at a school that I already have a fighting chance at (e.g. NU, GULC)? Thanks!

ED is not a mandatory tool to use, I'd venture that most applicants hurt themselves more than they help themselves with an ED. NU's ED is a different beast, is comes with a full ride, so it is much more competitive then normal applications. You will get into NU regardless, and NU is better than GULC as far as I'm concerned, so GULC ED would only hurt you. NYU ED is a longshot, but with the military experience etc I suppose it's not out of play entirely, so that might be your ED move. UVA is almost guaranteed ED for you, but you would have to pay sticker and you stand a decent shot without ED. NU has given small schollys to people with similar numbers, so you have to weigh NU vs UVA, and NU with say $30k vs UVA at sticker, if you would prefer NU, don't ED UVA.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:24 am

Clearly wrote:
esypsylmnsqsy wrote:This follow on question is obviously subjective, but in the opinions of this forum, is a binding ED application better used to increase the chances of admission at a school that would likely not otherwise admit me (e.g. NYU, UVA), or to increase the chances of admission at a school that I already have a fighting chance at (e.g. NU, GULC)? Thanks!

ED is not a mandatory tool to use, I'd venture that most applicants hurt themselves more than they help themselves with an ED. NU's ED is a different beast, is comes with a full ride, so it is much more competitive then normal applications. You will get into NU regardless, and NU is better than GULC as far as I'm concerned, so GULC ED would only hurt you. NYU ED is a longshot, but with the military experience etc I suppose it's not out of play entirely, so that might be your ED move. UVA is almost guaranteed ED for you, but you would have to pay sticker and you stand a decent shot without ED. NU has given small schollys to people with similar numbers, so you have to weigh NU vs UVA, and NU with say $30k vs UVA at sticker, if you would prefer NU, don't ED UVA.

The thought of any school at sticker shouldn't really scare him, as he will have GI Bill or GI Bill+Yellow Ribbon to cover pretty much all costs at any school he snags. His best bet would be to figure out which of the schools he'd most covet and throw an ED app their way. In this case, an ED at NYU would be a good call if it's where he absolutely wants to go. If he doesn't land NYU, he can follow on with a UVA ED if he would like (although I agree that he has a solid shot there RD as well).

Good luck OP, I hope you land whatever school you decide on!

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:27 am

Just one question, but where do you want to end up career-wise after law school? Do you have a geographic/type of law preference?

The answer to these questions will likely guide your plan for apps this fall. If you absolutely want NYC Biglaw, an ED to either NYU or PENN would be the best call. If you want other things specifically, that may shape your outlook on where you go fairly significantly.

Return to “What are my chances?”