160 lsat 3.24 gpa Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rollbirds

New

160 lsat 3.24 gpa

Post by rollbirds » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 pm

I live in Illinois and would like to work in the chicago area after law school. However I am worried my numbers are wont get me anywhere. I had one bad semester my sophmore year which tanked my gpa but I have maintained straight A's since the incident. Also I have been unable to commit to many extracurriculars due to the fact that I work 25+ hours a week while school is in session just to afford college. What are my chances at schools like -
UIUC
Iowa
IU Bloomington
Or any other school with a good midwest connection

I have considered Depaul or Kent if I can get some scholarships, but I worry about competing with schools like NU and Chicago in such a saturated market.

I have considered retaking due to the fact that I was only able to study sparingly for the LSAT over the month prior to the June test and I feel that I could do better. It is just hard to find the time to study between working full time and taking summer classes and an intense Fall semester quickly approaching

Rahviveh

Gold

Re: 160 lsat 3.24 gpa

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:44 pm

rollbirds wrote:I live in Illinois and would like to work in the chicago area after law school. However I am worried my numbers are wont get me anywhere. I had one bad semester my sophmore year which tanked my gpa but I have maintained straight A's since the incident. Also I have been unable to commit to many extracurriculars due to the fact that I work 25+ hours a week while school is in session just to afford college. What are my chances at schools like -
UIUC
Iowa
IU Bloomington
Or any other school with a good midwest connection

I have considered Depaul or Kent if I can get some scholarships, but I worry about competing with schools like NU and Chicago in such a saturated market.

I have considered retaking due to the fact that I was only able to study sparingly for the LSAT over the month prior to the June test and I feel that I could do better. It is just hard to find the time to study between working full time and taking summer classes and an intense Fall semester quickly approaching
It sounds like you are in a tough spot. But you definitely need to re-take the LSAT to make up for your GPA. The little money you are making working your job is nothing compared to the scholarships you could get with a higher LSAT score. 160 is pretty good after a month of light studying - shows you have good potential.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I'd punt the GPA if you're gung ho on applying this cycle. You're gonna be below every median of credible schools even with a 4.0 so you might as well just stay over a 3 cumulative, tell your professors why you are not working as hard and hope for mercy and get a 170. As a student while taking the LSAT, it's easy to lose the forest for the trees and forget the LSAT is more important than all your classes combined. I noticed this when tutoring the LSAT. Prioritizing getting a 90 over an 85 on a midterm that's 20% of one 3 credit class over studying for the LSAT in October is ridiculously dumb.

rollbirds

New

Post by rollbirds » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, if I were to retake what would be a reccomended study plan? The only studying I did was the powerscore games bible one week, reasoning bible 2nd week and 5 practice tests with scores increasing from 150 first week to 163 by the week before the test, my weakness was easily RC where I missed 13 (ewww I know). Also assuming my score jumps into the upper 160s or higher do I even have a shot at a school like NU.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:01 pm

rollbirds wrote:Thanks for the replies so far, if I were to retake what would be a reccomended study plan? The only studying I did was the powerscore games bible one week, reasoning bible 2nd week and 5 practice tests with scores increasing from 150 first week to 163 by the week before the test, my weakness was easily RC where I missed 13 (ewww I know). Also assuming my score jumps into the upper 160s or higher do I even have a shot at a school like NU.
You probably need at least a 170 for NW, especially with no WE.

Use these:

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-sets/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:33 pm

It would be stupid to apply this fall. What is your rush to go to law school? Get straight As senior year, work less hours, retake June 2014 and apply fall 2014. It wouls be a total waste for you to apply with that GPA/LSAT when both can be improved. Put law school out of your head for 6 months, focus on your grades, job apps, and working less. You'll be a stronger applicant and a better person for it.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:34 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:I'd punt the GPA if you're gung ho on applying this cycle. You're gonna be below every median of credible schools even with a 4.0 so you might as well just stay over a 3 cumulative, tell your professors why you are not working as hard and hope for mercy and get a 170. As a student while taking the LSAT, it's easy to lose the forest for the trees and forget the LSAT is more important than all your classes combined. I noticed this when tutoring the LSAT. Prioritizing getting a 90 over an 85 on a midterm that's 20% of one 3 credit class over studying for the LSAT in October is ridiculously dumb.
Applying to law school as an undergrad with a sub 3.5 gpa is ridiculously dumb. Everything else is fluff

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:36 pm

rollbirds wrote:Thanks for the replies so far, if I were to retake what would be a reccomended study plan? The only studying I did was the powerscore games bible one week, reasoning bible 2nd week and 5 practice tests with scores increasing from 150 first week to 163 by the week before the test, my weakness was easily RC where I missed 13 (ewww I know). Also assuming my score jumps into the upper 160s or higher do I even have a shot at a school like NU.
Yeah, you've basically barely started studying by the standards of people on this site. Understand that a lot of people here put in serious hours on the test for three to as many as six months. Nothing (outside of criminal behavior or psychological problems) will impact your future legal career trajectory more than the LSAT. You have to give the test the respect it deserves. If you don't have time to prepare adequately, then don't take the test yet. There aren't any shortcuts. If you're scoring in the 160s that quickly, you stand a good chance of getting to 170+ with the right amount of prep. You really should take a year (or more) off and work after graduation anyway, so that you can improve your GPA as much as possible before applying. This should make properly studying for the LSAT easier too.

With a 170, you're in at UVA by ED and you have a very strong shot at NU. If you can get your GPA up to 3.4 or so and hit 171+, then NYU is in play. With your current numbers, you will pay way too much money at schools with average to poor placement (do not go to Indiana) that have almost no chance of getting you to Chicago.

rollbirds

New

Post by rollbirds » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:13 am

I appreciate all the feedback. I am likely going to begin a rigorous study regimen in an attempt to prep for the october test, however, if I am not consistently testing around 170 I will likely wait to retake until June. NW is my dream school in my ideal market, but is WE as huge a factor in their admissions as I am made to believe?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 am

rollbirds wrote:I appreciate all the feedback. I am likely going to begin a rigorous study regimen in an attempt to prep for the october test, however, if I am not consistently testing around 170 I will likely wait to retake until June. NW is my dream school in my ideal market, but is WE as huge a factor in their admissions as I am made to believe?
You wont get in to Northwestern with a 3.25 gpa and no work experience.

You have to finish UG with good grades your final year, work, and apply in 1-2 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”