What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
afitouri
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby afitouri » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:42 pm

3.6 GPA / 168 LSAT. But please read on.

Worked through college, my senior year I was a marketing intern at a non-profit. Was an electronics salesperson prior to that.

Am 1/2 Libyan and a first generation immigrant. Have traveled there numerous times.

Come from a broken family and have witnessed HARD drug abuse and alcoholism, and have experienced homelessness for periods of about 6 months. After my freshman year in high school we were just above the poverty line, and in the past few years we have been definitively impoverished.

4 Letters of recommendation, one from a J.D, and two are absolutely resounded (2 from professors, one from a boss, and one from a family friend who has his own practice, who I also worked for).

So, basically I'm in a situation where my GPA is right around 25th percentile and the LSAT is near 50th. So I'm on the edge of barely getting in. Do you think these softs can tip me over?

What do you think could make it happen?

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby Motivator9 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Chances are not too stellar but you could get in with an ED. However, you wouldn't get that much $$$ . Is retaking not an option? Hitting then 170+ benchmark would change things.

170: http://mylsn.info/a5yapc

168: http://mylsn.info/ec3cws

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:27 pm

If you identify as African-American and not Middle Eastern you may be in every where based on URM. Very few AA males have a 168. I'd personally retake for a 172 to give HYS a median.

afitouri
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby afitouri » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:45 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:If you identify as African-American and not Middle Eastern you may be in every where based on URM. Very few AA males have a 168. I'd personally retake for a 172 to give HYS a median.


I have white skin, but I have considered reporting two or more races. It bothers me because a Libyan friend that I grew up with, who comes from an influential family in Libya that is now part of the new government (and who is well-to-do) is black and can reap the rewards it.

User avatar
hohenheim
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby hohenheim » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Yeah, just because your black friend gets a boost doesn't mean you should claim AA on your apps.

I don't think those softs will make a significant difference, so your best bet is a retake. It's annoying, but your options are completely different with just 2 more points. Good luck!

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:25 pm

I dont really understand these communities where homeless/impoverished families have influential attorneys as family friends to write LoRs (america is rarely that economically desegregated/structurally equitable) but Ill reserve those judgements to myself and take your story at face value.

Whoever said 170 is key for top schools was right. I believe with your compelling backstory and record of working thru college, you can easily overcome the sub-median GPA, but you'll need the LSAT. Write a damn good diversity essay, work your experiences and your family history with your interest in law ( preferably not corporate transactional, pick a more convincing field for the story) into your PS.

And dont worry about your friend and his families' newfound revolutionary prestige. Cabinets and bureacracies rise and fall every few yrs like clockwork in the post qaddafi world

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby Cobretti » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:And dont worry about your friend and his families' newfound revolutionary prestige. Cabinets and bureacracies rise and fall every few yrs like clockwork in the post qaddafi world

this is kind of dark... :shock:

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby Motivator9 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:23 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I dont really understand these communities where homeless/impoverished families have influential attorneys as family friends to write LoRs (america is rarely that economically desegregated/structurally equitable) but Ill reserve those judgements to myself and take your story at face value.

Whoever said 170 is key for top schools was right. I believe with your compelling backstory and record of working thru college, you can easily overcome the sub-median GPA, but you'll need the LSAT. Write a damn good diversity essay, work your experiences and your family history with your interest in law ( preferably not corporate transactional, pick a more convincing field for the story) into your PS.

And dont worry about your friend and his families' newfound revolutionary prestige. Cabinets and bureacracies rise and fall every few yrs like clockwork in the post qaddafi world


Yes! Dont worry about your friend and his story. Worry about what's in your hands.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby Clearly » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Retake.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15455
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:34 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I dont really understand these communities where homeless/impoverished families have influential attorneys as family friends to write LoRs (america is rarely that economically desegregated/structurally equitable) but Ill reserve those judgements to myself and take your story at face value.

Well to be fair two of the LOR's are resounded.

afitouri
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby afitouri » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:54 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I dont really understand these communities where homeless/impoverished families have influential attorneys as family friends to write LoRs (america is rarely that economically desegregated/structurally equitable) but Ill reserve those judgements to myself and take your story at face value.

Well to be fair two of the LOR's are resounded.



Sorry, meant *resounding*

And I know the lawyer because as a child he was accused falsely of terrorism by the FBI and I was the only friend of his son's who didn't abandon him during that period.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby sublime » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:59 am

..

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby TheThriller » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:01 pm

First off, don't claim AA status.

afitouri
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby afitouri » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 pm

sublime wrote:
afitouri wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I dont really understand these communities where homeless/impoverished families have influential attorneys as family friends to write LoRs (america is rarely that economically desegregated/structurally equitable) but Ill reserve those judgements to myself and take your story at face value.

Well to be fair two of the LOR's are resounded.



Sorry, meant *resounding*

And I know the lawyer because as a child he was accused falsely of terrorism by the FBI and I was the only friend of his son's who didn't abandon him during that period.




:shock:


Seriously though, you may be able to get in at lower T14 like Cornell or Georgetown, but you really should retake. A 17- would do wonders.



My only issue with this is that I studied for a year to get my 168. Initially I planned to retake 6 months later but my test scores weren't consistent enough for me to feel comfortable with the retake because of the risk that I scored lower than 168.

Should I just readjust my goals and shoot for Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern or UT Austin?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Is growing up poor still a soft for a college grad applying to professional school?

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby Motivator9 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:00 pm

You say you studied for a year, but do you feel like you could've improved more? What were you PTing at before the test? Did you exhaust all of your material?

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:31 pm

TheThriller wrote:First off, don't claim AA status.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 pm

afitouri wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:If you identify as African-American and not Middle Eastern you may be in every where based on URM. Very few AA males have a 168. I'd personally retake for a 172 to give HYS a median.


I have white skin, but I have considered reporting two or more races. It bothers me because a Libyan friend that I grew up with, who comes from an influential family in Libya that is now part of the new government (and who is well-to-do) is black and can reap the rewards it.


didn't you do this schtick last year?

dsc1943
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:02 am

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby dsc1943 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:14 am

mr.hands wrote:
TheThriller wrote:First off, don't claim AA status.


Why the hell shouldn't he? Last time I checked Libya is in Africa therefore the OP is both African and American hence African American. If the box said black then he shouldn't check it but it doesn't so he should.

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby Motivator9 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 am

dsc1943 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
TheThriller wrote:First off, don't claim AA status.


Why the hell shouldn't he? Last time I checked Libya is in Africa therefore the OP is both African and American hence African American. If the box said black then he shouldn't check it but it doesn't so he should.


So Caucasian South Africans are URMs?

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby KevinP » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:25 am

dsc1943 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
TheThriller wrote:First off, don't claim AA status.


Why the hell shouldn't he? Last time I checked Libya is in Africa therefore the OP is both African and American hence African American. If the box said black then he shouldn't check it but it doesn't so he should.


Because that's not the definition of African American typically used to describe race.

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

https://www.census.gov/population/race/about/

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby 90convoy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 am

dsc1943 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
TheThriller wrote:First off, don't claim AA status.


Why the hell shouldn't he? Last time I checked Libya is in Africa therefore the OP is both African and American hence African American. If the box said black then he shouldn't check it but it doesn't so he should.


You gotta be black to claim African American. But wait!!...Black and African American aren't necessarily the same thing, i.e. Aborigine) By black I mean either have noticeably black features, or if you don't you must have the ability to provide reasonable proof that you are black (parents, grandparents, etc.)

So is OP black? No. OP is Libyan American or North African. As dumb as it sounds there is actually a difference between being North African American and African American.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:35 am

The problem with re-adjusting those goals is that you probably still won't get in to those schools other than UT (a very poor choice for someone without substantial ties to TX and a strong desire to live and work in Texas long term) and maybe Cornell around sticker.

I'll ignore the whole "I really want to get in to a T10 like Michigan, golly gee it would suck to have to go to Northwestern" thing.

Retake. Even if you snuck in to one of these schools it would be at (or very close) to sticker and that is almost always a bad idea. The fact that you don't have any savings or a wealthy family to help bring down your debt (or bail you out if you struck out) is all the more reason to get a higher LSAT score for scholarship purposes. If you can't score higher then you should probably aim lower or don't go to law school.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby TheThriller » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:52 pm

dsc1943 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
TheThriller wrote:First off, don't claim AA status.


Why the hell shouldn't he? Last time I checked Libya is in Africa therefore the OP is both African and American hence African American. If the box said black then he shouldn't check it but it doesn't so he should.


Are you kidding me?

You have to realize that AA status is as much geographic as it is social/cultural. Libya may be in Africa but so is Egypt. Culturally and socially the experiences of an Egyptian, a Libyan, a Sudanese and a South African are different. In this day in age, African American means far more than what country your parents/grand/greatgrand came from.

And speaking of South Africans, I have a friend from South Africa who is white, should he claim AA status because he's from Africa?

dsc1943
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:02 am

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Postby dsc1943 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Motivator9 wrote:
dsc1943 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
TheThriller wrote:First off, don't claim AA status.


Why the hell shouldn't he? Last time I checked Libya is in Africa therefore the OP is both African and American hence African American. If the box said black then he shouldn't check it but it doesn't so he should.


So Caucasian South Africans are URMs?


I would guess that yes white south africans are under represented and definitely in the minority at US law schools




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashrice13 and 6 guests