For a friend. Yes, I know, return with a real score but...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
justicefishy

For a friend. Yes, I know, return with a real score but...

Postby justicefishy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Okay, so, I have committed one of the cardinal sins of TLS, doing a "chance me" thread without a true LSAT score. This is a situation, however, where I feel it may be warranted (blame Northwestern's ED deadline). Two weeks ago, I persuaded one of my friends to take the LSAT. They've been interested in law for a while but never considered the field or going to law school. The guy has been unemployed for over a year and enjoys logic games, so, at worst, it'll give him something to do. So, I'm thinking, what's the worst that could happen.

So, he takes it cold. 176. Thinks its a fluke and takes a second one. 177. Takes a third one. 177 again. He's started prepping full time for the October test with a goal of 180 and is set on LS now. If this was all, that'd be great. I'd probably bug TLS on his behalf once he gets his score back. But, as I'm helping him put applications together and he does have a bit of WE, I've directed him towards NW ED. I'm mostly asking here, given the rather short time frame between getting his score back and the NW deadline, if this is feasible. Assume, lets say, he ends up with his first (cold) score of a 176. GPA is a 3.58 in CS from a good state school (Patent Bar eligible; a reason why I advised him to take the LSAT in the first place, he's almost certainly getting a job if he goes to LS), LGBT (with what I know is going to be a kick butt diversity statement), no real softs to speak of, kind of sort of 1 year or so of WE (start up imploded in a bad way from what I heard, made getting a CS job difficult). I'm pretty sure of the rest (myLSNInfo is great); very small shot at Harvard, maybe Chicago, Columbia/NYU with 10-15k a year (maybe a bit more), MVP if he can show interest, and a nice amount of money from all the rest. I'm mostly wondering if NW ED is a feasible option so he can have the application ready and the interview done by the deadline and given the time frame he'd be operating in, I'm asking now rather than after he gets a score.

Aasterinian

Re: For a friend. Yes, I know, return with a real score but...

Postby Aasterinian » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 pm

justicefishy wrote:Okay, so, I have committed one of the cardinal sins of TLS, doing a "chance me" thread without a true LSAT score. This is a situation, however, where I feel it may be warranted (blame Northwestern's ED deadline). Two weeks ago, I persuaded one of my friends to take the LSAT. They've been interested in law for a while but never considered the field or going to law school. The guy has been unemployed for over a year and enjoys logic games, so, at worst, it'll give him something to do. So, I'm thinking, what's the worst that could happen.

So, he takes it cold. 176. Thinks its a fluke and takes a second one. 177. Takes a third one. 177 again. He's started prepping full time for the October test with a goal of 180 and is set on LS now. If this was all, that'd be great. I'd probably bug TLS on his behalf once he gets his score back. But, as I'm helping him put applications together and he does have a bit of WE, I've directed him towards NW ED. I'm mostly asking here, given the rather short time frame between getting his score back and the NW deadline, if this is feasible. Assume, lets say, he ends up with his first (cold) score of a 176. GPA is a 3.58 in CS from a good state school (Patent Bar eligible; a reason why I advised him to take the LSAT in the first place, he's almost certainly getting a job if he goes to LS), LGBT (with what I know is going to be a kick butt diversity statement), no real softs to speak of, kind of sort of 1 year or so of WE (start up imploded in a bad way from what I heard, made getting a CS job difficult). I'm pretty sure of the rest (myLSNInfo is great); very small shot at Harvard, maybe Chicago, Columbia/NYU with 10-15k a year (maybe a bit more), MVP if he can show interest, and a nice amount of money from all the rest. I'm mostly wondering if NW ED is a feasible option so he can have the application ready and the interview done by the deadline and given the time frame he'd be operating in, I'm asking now rather than after he gets a score.

By "feasible option" are you asking whether or not he'd be accepted or whether or not applying ED to NU would be in his best interest? If the former, LSN indicates that he has a great shot (assuming 176+). If the latter, I think we need more information about his goals, which region he wants to practice in, etc.

Searchparty

Re: For a friend. Yes, I know, return with a real score but...

Postby Searchparty » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:42 am

justicefishy wrote:Okay, so, I have committed one of the cardinal sins of TLS, doing a "chance me" thread without a true LSAT score. This is a situation, however, where I feel it may be warranted (blame Northwestern's ED deadline). Two weeks ago, I persuaded one of my friends to take the LSAT. They've been interested in law for a while but never considered the field or going to law school. The guy has been unemployed for over a year and enjoys logic games, so, at worst, it'll give him something to do. So, I'm thinking, what's the worst that could happen.

If the answer is "no," what happens? He's going to apply anyway. If that's what he wants, do it. There's no downside.

Return to “What are my chances?”